Nikon D70s and manual lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hamish Walker, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Am I right in thinking that a manual-focus, 'old-fashioned' Nikon-fit zoom
    lens will work quite happily on a Nikon D70s? I'm about to buy the D70s, but
    I have a Sigma APO 75-300 f4.5/5.6 Nikon-fit lens which I currently use on
    my FE2, and it would be a shame to have to get rid of it.

    Without a split-image focussing screen to help me focus, will some sort of
    focus confirmation work? Which semi-auto modes will work - I'm mainly going
    to be interested in aperture priority? Will shutter priority work (i.e. will
    the camera stop the lens down to the suggested aperture automatically)?

    Thanks in advance,

    Hamish

    Please see my other question about CF cards

    Background: I spent nine years working in the photographic retail trade in
    the UK (serving amateurs and latterly pros), up to around 11 years ago when
    I changed careers. As you can imagine I have owned a variety of bits of kit
    over the years, pretty much giving all of it up when I left. Currently I use
    a Toshiba 4.2 megapixel compact camera with a Canon lens (bought when 4.2
    megapixels was a lot!). I also have a Nikon FE2 I got off Ebay a couple of
    years ago because I was missing SLR photography too much. I've always loved
    (most) Nikons in general, and FE2s in particular. I've decided to go digital
    mainly because developing and printing is expensive, slow and of variable
    quality, and because the majority of my pictures end up on the web or being
    e-mailed to people anyway. So... it's got to be a Nikon, and the D70s seems
    to be the best compromise of 'pro'-like quality, a good feature set and a
    reasonable price.

    Hamish Walker, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Hamish Walker

    Jim Guest

    "Hamish Walker" <> wrote in message
    > Am I right in thinking that a manual-focus, 'old-fashioned' Nikon-fit zoom
    > lens will work quite happily on a Nikon D70s? I'm about to buy the D70s,

    but
    > I have a Sigma APO 75-300 f4.5/5.6 Nikon-fit lens which I currently use on
    > my FE2, and it would be a shame to have to get rid of it.
    >
    > Without a split-image focussing screen to help me focus, will some sort of
    > focus confirmation work?

    Yes - the D70 electronic rangefinder works quite well. One nice thing about
    the D70 is that it provides an electronic version of the E screen.
    >Which semi-auto modes will work - I'm mainly going
    > to be interested in aperture priority? Will shutter priority work (i.e.

    will
    > the camera stop the lens down to the suggested aperture automatically)?

    Sorry only manual mode exposure control (i. e. none) for AI and AI-S lenses.

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 12, 2005

  3. "Hamish Walker" <> writes:

    > Am I right in thinking that a manual-focus, 'old-fashioned'
    > Nikon-fit zoom lens will work quite happily on a Nikon D70s? I'm
    > about to buy the D70s, but I have a Sigma APO 75-300 f4.5/5.6
    > Nikon-fit lens which I currently use on my FE2, and it would be a
    > shame to have to get rid of it.

    If it's modern enough to be an "AI" or "AIS" lens, yes, with one
    limitation: On a D70, it won't meter at all. You'll have to use
    manual exposure. On a digital, with instant review, and histogram
    display, manual exposure by trial and error doesn't bother me at all.
    Some other people it drives crazy. Anyway, them's the facts, decide
    what you'll be happy with.

    > Without a split-image focussing screen to help me focus, will some
    > sort of focus confirmation work? Which semi-auto modes will work -
    > I'm mainly going to be interested in aperture priority? Will shutter
    > priority work (i.e. will the camera stop the lens down to the
    > suggested aperture automatically)?

    Yes, the focus confirmation dot would work, if the lens was fast
    enough for auto-focus. Yours is just marginal.

    None of the semi-auto modes will work. Not aperture priority, not
    shutter priority. Metering is completely absent. This is a design
    decision by Nikon; a D1 or D2 series camera will meter just fine with
    that lens, they just chose to leave it out of the D70 (and D100).
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/> Much of which is still down

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 12, 2005