    will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even D3x=D4 will
    deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5?
    Tony (Nikon fan since the S3)
    Tony the insider, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Tony the insider

    Jurgen Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 04:46:51 +0000, Tony the insider wrote:

    > Nikon D700x will see the light of day as the D800 or D900, or so my bud
    > says. Remember old F801 and its role as the first Nikon with usable AF,
    > the first with a 1/8,000s shutter (a 5 year record, broken by the
    > Minolta 9000's 1/12,000s)? So a D800 name has pedigree - but the linkage
    > to D80 may not be considered desirable. So I guess, and it is only a
    > guess, that D900 is more likely (D90 is a respectable camera, while D80
    > was a bastard result of mating D50 and D200). Main reasons against
    > D700x:
    > - seen as D700 upgrade (too quick!)
    > - name relates to entry-level (ie D70)
    > Name is very important to Japanese corporations. All clear in 33 days!
    > I make one more simple point. My prime Nikkors can resolve to 100 lpmm,
    > a little above centrally, of course much less at the peripheries. So a
    > simple view on FX is a pixellation of 100 x 2 x 24 x 100 x 2 x 36 /
    > 1,000,000 = 34.56 MP will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even
    > D3x=D4 will deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5? Tony (Nikon fan
    > since the S3)

    Do I read you right Tony?
    The currect crop of Nikon lenses will resolve to about 90% of their
    potential on a 34 megapixel camera? Or do you mean the camera will exceed
    the lenses resolving power by 10%?
    Jurgen, Nov 17, 2008

  3. Tony the insider

    trouble Guest

    This belongs in the RichA catalog of non-sequiturs.
    trouble, Nov 17, 2008
  4. Tony the insider

    Me Here Guest

    "trouble" <> wrote in message
    > This belongs in the RichA catalog of non-sequiturs.

    RichA will only buy a camera if it's made from Tungsten Stainless Steel and
    weighs 75 lbs, his lens elements must be made with transparent aluminum,
    housed in Tungsten Stainless Steel.
    Me Here, Nov 17, 2008
  5. "Me Here" <> wrote:

    > RichA will only buy a camera if it's made from Tungsten Stainless Steel
    > and weighs 75 lbs, his lens elements must be made with transparent
    > aluminum, housed in Tungsten Stainless Steel.

    Alas, Transparent Aluminum doesn't have a high enough transmission
    percentage for modern multi-element lenses.
    http://www.surmet.com/alon.html

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
    Legalize Updoc.
    Michael Benveniste, Nov 18, 2008
  6. Tony the insider

    Paul Furman Guest

    Tony the insider wrote:
    > Nikon D700x will see the light of day as the D800 or D900, or
    > so my bud says. Remember old F801 and its role as the first
    > Nikon with usable AF, the first with a 1/8,000s shutter (a 5
    > year record, broken by the Minolta 9000's 1/12,000s)? So a
    > D800 name has pedigree - but the linkage to D80 may not be
    > considered desirable. So I guess, and it is only a guess,
    > that D900 is more likely (D90 is a respectable camera, while
    > D80 was a bastard result of mating D50 and D200).
    > Main reasons against D700x:
    > - seen as D700 upgrade (too quick!)
    > - name relates to entry-level (ie D70)
    > Name is very important to Japanese corporations. All clear in
    > 33 days!
    > I make one more simple point. My prime Nikkors can resolve to
    > 100 lpmm, a little above centrally, of course much less at the
    > peripheries. So a simple view on FX is a pixellation of
    > 100 x 2 x 24 x 100 x 2 x 36 / 1,000,000 = 34.56 MP
    > will get 90% or better from my optics. Not even D3x=D4 will
    > deliver this. Maybe I should wait for D5?
    > Tony (Nikon fan since the S3)

    Well, it looks like it'll be released as a D3x instead.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Nov 28, 2008