Nikon D7000 anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Sep 13, 2011

  2. > I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    > http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ed

    Go into your camera shop and handle the camera. Unless you already have
    an investment in Nikon lenses, try other camera brands as well. Ease of
    use of the camera, being able to make settings quickly, is important to
    me, and may be to you as well. Almost any recent Nikon or Canon DSLR
    camera is capable of excellent image quality, given a good lens, and the
    D7000 is an excellent example.

    I wasn't over-impressed with all the reasons in the article!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 13, 2011

  3. Ed

    ASCII Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:
    >Ed wrote:
    >> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    >> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    >Definitely, my next Nikon DSLR. I'm in no particular hurry as I have plenty
    >of Nikons already that are perfectly adequate for my purposes, but the D7000
    >looks terrific.
    >
    >I agree with David that the "five reasons" given in that article are not in
    >themselves so impressive. But a full review of the D7000 such as you can
    >find on DPReview gives a much more complete picture of the camera and its
    >capabilities, and much as I hate the regularly overused word "awesome" it
    >does seem to me to apply in the case of the D7000.
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

    Also if there are any others that you might be leaning toward,
    this could help make the decision; http://bit.ly/oe8PJA
    ASCII, Sep 13, 2011
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On Sep 13, 1:16 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > > I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000.  Here's why:
    > >http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_...

    > > Thoughts?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Ed

    > Go into your camera shop and handle the camera.  Unless you already have
    > an investment in Nikon lenses, try other camera brands as well.  Ease of
    > use of the camera, being able to make settings quickly, is important to
    > me, and may be to you as well.  Almost any recent Nikon or Canon DSLR
    > camera is capable of excellent image quality, given a good lens, and the
    > D7000 is an excellent example.
    >
    > I wasn't over-impressed with all the reasons in the article!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Thanks David.
    Ed, Sep 13, 2011
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On Sep 13, 5:11 am, ASCII <> wrote:
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    > >Ed wrote:
    > >> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000.  Here's why:
    > >>http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_....

    > >> Thoughts?

    > >Definitely, my next Nikon DSLR. I'm in no particular hurry as I have plenty
    > >of Nikons already that are perfectly adequate for my purposes, but the D7000
    > >looks terrific.

    > >I agree with David that the "five reasons" given in that article are notin
    > >themselves so impressive. But a full review of the D7000 such as you can
    > >find on DPReview gives a much more complete picture of the camera and its
    > >capabilities, and much as I hate the regularly overused word "awesome" it
    > >does seem to me to apply in the case of the D7000.

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

    > Also if there are any others that you might be leaning toward,
    > this could help make the decision;http://bit.ly/oe8PJA

    Great link. Thank you.
    Ed, Sep 13, 2011
  6. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On Sep 13, 2:07 am, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    > > I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000.  Here's why:
    > >http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_...

    > > Thoughts?

    > Definitely, my next Nikon DSLR. I'm in no particular hurry as I have plenty
    > of Nikons already that are perfectly adequate for my purposes, but the D7000
    > looks terrific.
    >
    > I agree with David that the "five reasons" given in that article are not in
    > themselves so impressive. But a full review of the D7000 such as you can
    > find on DPReview gives a much more complete picture of the camera and its
    > capabilities, and much as I hate the regularly overused word "awesome" it
    > does seem to me to apply in the case of the D7000.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

    Thank you Neil.
    Ed, Sep 13, 2011
  7. Ed

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:

    > I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    > http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_
    > the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >
    > Thoughts?

    I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
    I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
    storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

    I suppose that you could also consider the extensive menu system a
    downside - it's got a ton of settings, although the out-of-the-box
    settings will get you going quickly. It's big and solid. If you like a
    lighter/smaller camera, it may be too big for you. The battery lasts
    forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now, over 500 pictures, and
    it's still on its first charge.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Sep 13, 2011
  8. Ed

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Makowiec <> wrote:
    >On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:
    >> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    >> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_
    >> the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    >I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
    >I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
    >storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

    Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.
    Bruce, Sep 13, 2011
  9. Ed

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 13 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Bruce wrote:

    > Joe Makowiec <> wrote:

    >>I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only
    >>downside I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the
    >>computer as a storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

    > Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

    Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
    cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
    the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 13, 2011
  10. Bruce <> writes:

    > Joe Makowiec <> wrote:
    >>On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:
    >>> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    >>> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_
    >>> the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >>>
    >>> Thoughts?

    >>I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
    >>I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
    >>storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

    > Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

    I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
    and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
    and having it not work is a pain.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 13, 2011
  11. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

    > On 2011-09-13 11:59:11 -0700, Joe Makowiec <> said:

    >>> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

    >> Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem getting the images off the
    >> cards. It's just that it's easier if I can plug in the camera and have
    >> the computer treat it as a drive (as I could with the D70).

    > I think you need to take another look at your D7000 manual and give it
    > another try.
    >
    > Check page #779 that details using "Nikon Transfer 2". Even if you
    > don't use the Nikon software the SD card should still show up on your
    > desktop as a drive.
    > Also if you are a Lightroom user once connected LR can be set to
    > import straight from the camera.

    I won't take the risk of letting that kind of software perform the
    transfer. I've been transferring other ways the past years with zero
    problems, while hearing frequent reports of people who got badly screwed
    over by some magic transfer program. No thanks; not interested.

    And, again, camera direct connect is for me an emergency procedure, so
    having it depend on other software is not useful.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 13, 2011
  12. Ed

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 12, 11:08 pm, Ed <> wrote:
    > I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000.  Here's why:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_...
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ed

    Produces terrific images when it produces terrific images but IMO,
    it's still no where near as good as the D300/D300s when it comes to
    function.
    RichA, Sep 13, 2011
  13. Ed

    Bruce Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> writes:
    >> Joe Makowiec <> wrote:

    >>>I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
    >>>I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
    >>>storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.

    >> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

    >I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
    >and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
    >and having it not work is a pain.

    I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
    as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
    means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
    I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
    are faster and more convenient.
    Bruce, Sep 14, 2011
  14. Ed

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/14/2011 5:39 AM, Bruce wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
    > as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
    > means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
    > I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
    > are faster and more convenient.

    An experienced professional such as yourself should have realized that a
    tethered camera gives you a much larger view of the image, so that
    instant, on the spot corrections can be made.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 14, 2011
  15. Bruce <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >>Bruce <> writes:

    >>> Perhaps you should invest a few bucks in a card reader.

    >>I've got half a dozen. I'm still highly annoyed when cameras and phones
    >>and such won't connect as storage devices. It's an emergency procedure,
    >>and having it not work is a pain.

    > I'm a little mystified why anyone should need to connect their camera
    > as a storage device. Smartphones, yes, especially when card removal
    > means removing the battery and SIM as in some cases, but I don't think
    > I have connected a camera to a PC for several years now. Card readers
    > are faster and more convenient.

    I haven't connected a camera to a computer in several years either,
    except for testing. See the phrase "emergency procedure" up there? I
    don't like it as a normal procedure, but it can cover my ass if I lose
    or break my card reader on the road. Or somebody else does and I can
    loan them mine and use direct connect myself (or they can; but if their
    camera can't connect as storage...).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 14, 2011
  16. Joe Makowiec <> wrote:
    > On 12 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, Ed wrote:
    >
    >> I'm interested in buying the Nikon D7000. Here's why:
    >> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8387755/five_reasons_to_buy_
    >> the_nikon_d7000.html?cat=15
    >>
    >> Thoughts?

    > I just bought a D7000 to replace a D70. Great camera; the only downside
    > I've found so far is that the camera won't connect to the computer as a
    > storage device - it has to be a camera/imaging device.
    >
    > I suppose that you could also consider the extensive menu system a
    > downside - it's got a ton of settings, although the out-of-the-box
    > settings will get you going quickly. It's big and solid. If you like a
    > lighter/smaller camera, it may be too big for you. The battery lasts
    > forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now, over 500 pictures, and
    > it's still on its first charge.

    Do you turn it off when not in use or has it been left on the entire time?
    IsThisScottie, Sep 17, 2011
  17. Ed

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 17 Sep 2011 in rec.photo.digital, IsThisScottie wrote:

    > Joe Makowiec <> wrote:
    >> The battery lasts forever - I've had the camera about 2 months now,
    >> over 500 pictures, and it's still on its first charge.

    > Do you turn it off when not in use or has it been left on the entire
    > time?

    I turn it off, although AIUI, it shouldn't make all that much difference.
    There's some minimal current draw when the camera is 'off' - see the top
    panel display of remaining pictures - and there's not much draw when it's
    on until you push the shutter button or activate some other function.

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 19, 2011