    The Sony sensor used in the Nikon camera is ever so slightly bigger than
    Canon's. This makes the wide angle a bit easier to achieve.

    The cheap Canon lens has the stabby construction.
    BigMike, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Nikon Canada says MSRP is CDN $1,400 or about USD $1,100. I supect because
    Canadian prices are usually a tad higher the F70 body will hit the streets
    to match the DigiReb

    "BigMike" <> wrote in message
    > How many people are waiting for Nikon D70?
    >
    > $999 is my price point. It is based on the film N75. I don't know when it
    > will be coming out but it will possibly be my choice. Here are my

    reasoning:

    > The pewter color Rebel is pretty sturdy - I played with it in store - but
    > does look like the film Rebel (aka a bit cheesy). At least the D70 has

    black

    Darrell Larose, Jan 13, 2004

  3. BigMike

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I would suspect that like every other low priced Nikon camera there will
    be a gotcha in it. The N75 doesn't allow user film speed setting - one would
    assume that they wouldn't screw people with a digital that did the same, but
    they might limit it to 100 and 400 ISO. And the film N70 - an awful camera
    with the most badly designed interface in the history of SLRs - had no DOF
    preview - one wonders if the D70 will have that nasty little gotcha - which
    turns an SLR into a P&S.
    Of course the N70 is promised for summer -- meaning fall or later in
    Nikon language, and may be out of date before it ever hits the streets - if
    it ever hits the streets. I wonder how much of the announcement (3 weeks
    before Christmas with nothing more than an easily faked photo and no promise
    of even a non-working prototype until PMA) was simply an attempt to slow the
    sales of the {admittedly ugly, but very comfy in the hand} DRebel, in the
    hopes that a few people will wait for that famous Nikon panache -- Panache
    being a word that means "living in the past" in this particular case.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 13, 2004
  4. BigMike

    BigMike Guest

    "BigMike" <> wrote in message
    > How many people are waiting for Nikon D70?
    >
    > $999 is my price point. It is based on the film N75. I don't know when it
    > will be coming out but it will possibly be my choice. Here are my

    reasoning:

    > The pewter color Rebel is pretty sturdy - I played with it in store - but
    > does look like the film Rebel (aka a bit cheesy). At least the D70 has

    black
    > plastic body.
    >
    > The Sony sensor used in the Nikon camera is ever so slightly bigger than
    > Canon's. This makes the wide angle a bit easier to achieve.
    >
    > The cheap Canon lens has the stabby construction.

    This is an interesting read:

    http://www.swissarmyfork.com/digital_lens_faq.htm

    note section 1.5 about VOF crop and increased lens resolution for digital

    The new DX lens from Nikon will possibly be in $500, vs. Canon's cheap $100
    lens kit in Digital Rebel.

    How many people would buy the expensive lens for digital cameras?
    BigMike, Jan 13, 2004
  5. BigMike

    AArDvarK Guest

    I just read the tech-comparison-specs on the
    diffs betwen the 300d and the 10d, the latter
    has way more professional features. I love the
    image quality of the 300d however, and I hope
    the Nikon will have more pro features, along
    with that they make the best glass in Japan.
    The major Nikon D cams are bottoming out
    in current technology compared to most others.
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex
    AArDvarK, Jan 13, 2004

  6. > >
    > > The pewter color Rebel is pretty sturdy - I played with it in store -

    but
    > > does look like the film Rebel (aka a bit cheesy). At least the D70 has

    > black
    > > plastic body.

    That's what I think. The D70 looks to be a lot better built than the 300D.
    I too have handled the 300D (2 colleagues have it) and I was afraid it would
    fall apart in my hands.
    The store here is now selling them since a few months and have already had
    several returned with mechanical trouble...

    > > The Sony sensor used in the Nikon camera is ever so slightly bigger than
    > > Canon's. This makes the wide angle a bit easier to achieve.

    Wideangle is wideangle. A 20mm lens on both will still be a 20mm. Your image
    is cropped slightly larger than with the Canon, it's NOT a magical
    difference in focal length despite what the marketeers will try to tell you.

    > > The cheap Canon lens has the stabby construction.

    All cheap lenses do :)

    > The new DX lens from Nikon will possibly be in $500, vs. Canon's cheap

    $100
    > lens kit in Digital Rebel.

    There's expected to be a $100 or so kitlens for the D70 as well. It just
    didn't make sense to introduce it before the camera because noone in his
    right mind puts a $100 lens on a $2000+ body like the D100 or D1/D2 series.
    This of course means there's a lot of people not in their right minds seeing
    the number of 10Ds and D100s with Tamron and Sigma 28-200 and 28-300 lenses
    (and I use the term broadly), but we knew that already.

    > How many people would buy the expensive lens for digital cameras?

    Lots of people, but many of them would likely buy a more expensive digital
    camera first :)
    The intended audience for the 300D most likely would not (though I know some
    people with a 300D who have $1500+ L IS USM lenses on them, but IMO those
    are not the intended audience and did themselves a disservice not saving up
    for a better body).

    --
    Jeroen Wenting
    jwenting at hornet dot demon dot nl
    Jeroen Wenting, Jan 14, 2004
  7. BigMike

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Jeroen Wenting" <> writes:
    > There's expected to be a $100 or so kitlens for the D70 as well. It
    > just didn't make sense to introduce it before the camera because
    > noone in his right mind puts a $100 lens on a $2000+ body like the
    > D100 or D1/D2 series.

    I don't see why not. If I get a D100 or D1/D2, I plan to use my 50/1.8AF
    on it. Doesn't that count?
    Paul Rubin, Jan 14, 2004
  8. BigMike

    gsum Guest

    No, that doesn't count. The 50mm lens is a quality
    lens. A $100 (100gbp) 28x70 f4.5 - 5.6, for example,
    isn't.

    Graham

    gsum, Jan 14, 2004
  9. I'm a professional photographer and I'm waiting for it. I have a bunch of
    Nikon glass. I really don't need a bunch of bells and whistles for what I
    do. Product, Event, Portrait. Just for the record, I shoot mostly medium
    format and I have a film N70 to use as a backup and the camera is amazing
    for the money. Yep the interface is like a circus sideshow and it lacks dof
    preview.(if you know what you're doing you rarely use it anyway) but the
    metering system is first rate and the auto focus is fine too.(I usually
    manual focus) I have photographs taken on Fuji Press 800 that are razor
    sharp at 11x14. I'm on the mailing list for the info on the D70.

    Robert Brodie, Jan 14, 2004
  10. BigMike

    digiboy Guest

    "gsum" <> wrote in message news:<4004fc86$>...
    > No, that doesn't count. The 50mm lens is a quality
    > lens. A $100 (100gbp) 28x70 f4.5 - 5.6, for example,
    > isn't.

    $100 = 100GBP?

    Apple accounting? :)

    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=USD&t=GBP&c=0 says more like 54GBP
    digiboy, Jan 14, 2004
  11. BigMike

    Tore Lund Guest

    digiboy wrote:
    > "gsum" <> wrote in message news:<4004fc86$>...
    >> No, that doesn't count. The 50mm lens is a quality
    >> lens. A $100 (100gbp) 28x70 f4.5 - 5.6, for example,
    >> isn't.

    > $100 = 100GBP?
    >
    > Apple accounting? :)
    >
    > http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=USD&t=GBP&c=0 says more like 54GBP

    What you're missing is the difference between ordinary dollars and photo
    equipment dollars.
    --
    Tore
    Tore Lund, Jan 14, 2004
  12. BigMike

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Manual Nikon lenses - you KNOW they aren't going to work with it. I doubt
    seriously any professional or advanced amateur would use this camera any
    more than they would use an N60, 65, 70, or 75 -- not even a complete
    beginner would be happy with the N50 or 55.
    Nikon has always screwed the low end buyer to "encourage" him to buy up.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 14, 2004
  13. BigMike

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    ....even if (when...) the D70 turns out to be MUCH better
    than the 300D, Spadaro will keep hating it, like he hates
    anything Nikon (including users.)

    Imagine a world where the only producer of 35mm SLR's
    and DSLR's is Canon. Pretty much like Zenith in the old
    USSR. Spadaro would be in heaven, at least until he realizes
    that without competitors Canon would lower quality and jack
    up prices... (I promise you: without Nikon, Canon products
    would be as shitty as the old Zeniths were...)
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 14, 2004
  14. BigMike

    Peter Guest

    2004-01-14, Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > Manual Nikon lenses - you KNOW they aren't going to work with it. I doubt

    They work with the F70 though...but knowing Nikon, they probably won't
    with the D70 (although they would sell millions more if it does).

    > seriously any professional or advanced amateur would use this camera any
    > more than they would use an N60, 65, 70, or 75 -- not even a complete

    As someone else mentioned, apart from the DOF preview the F70 has
    everything, including very good flash capabilities (second curtain,
    compensation) on the body (so it works with any flash).

    -peter

    Peter, Jan 15, 2004
  15. BigMike

    Guest

    The manual lens do work on this camera in manual mode. Pretty impressive
    I'd say but not really a big engineering deal. They only had to build a SLR
    in digi format. I'd say buy giving access to old Nikon glass, this will
    sell the heck out of the D70 and dominate in the high quality images of
    digital photography for many months.
    , Apr 14, 2004