    for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
    advantages? If so, what are they?

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Oct 22, 2004

  2. "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in message
    news:4D8ed.13$...
    > There are obvious differences between the Nikon D70 and Phase One
    > H 5 back for a blad: size, price, portability, etc. What I find
    > appealing about the H 5 is the fact that I can use a 150mm lens
    > for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
    > advantages? If so, what are they?

    ??

    If you think the 150mm Sonnar will give the same FOV on a digital back with
    a sub-56x56mm sensor (something like 38x38mm, I guess) as on 120 film...
    well, you're wrong. With a digital back, something like a 100mm or 120mm
    would be more useful for portraits.

    Some more information would be appreciated- no point recommending a
    Hasselblad ELD with 22mp back and 40/60/100 kit to a motocross photographer.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Sam Carleton

    Sam Carleton Guest

    On 2004-10-22, Martin Francis wrote:
    > "Sam Carleton" <> wrote in
    > message news:4D8ed.13$...
    >> There are obvious differences between the Nikon D70 and Phase
    >> One H 5 back for a blad: size, price, portability, etc. What I
    >> find appealing about the H 5 is the fact that I can use a 150mm
    >> lens for portraits rather then a 60mm lens. Are there other
    >> advantages? If so, what are they?

    > If you think the 150mm Sonnar will give the same FOV on a
    > digital back with a sub-56x56mm sensor (something like 38x38mm,
    > I guess) as on 120 film... well, you're wrong. With a digital
    > back, something like a 100mm or 120mm would be more useful for
    > portraits.

    I was not 100% sure of the size of the sensor, but I will grant
    you that a 38x38mm sensor will not give me the same FOV, but it
    will give me a FOV which is the same as what I am currently
    getting with my 105mm! Which is much better then having to use a
    darn 60mm for a portrait!

    > Some more information would be appreciated- no point
    > recommending a Hasselblad ELD with 22mp back and 40/60/100 kit
    > to a motocross photographer.

    I thought I discuessed my needs: portraits. Not motocross,
    baseball, landscape, archiecture, weddings, nor football, but
    simply: Portraits.

    What I am wondering is this: the H5 and the D70 produce an image
    of about the same mega pixels, 5 meg vs 6 meg respectfully.
    Assuming the FOV is NOT an issue, what is going to be the
    different between a portrait taken with the H5 and withe the D70?
    Is the H5 going to produce an image that and be enlargered better?
    If so, how? Is the H5 going to give better color? If so, how?
    Or is the H5 simply a way for someone to justify keeing a medium
    format camera around and simply a waste of about 8 grand?

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Sam Carleton

    Crownfield Guest

    Sam Carleton wrote:

    > I thought I discuessed my needs: portraits. Not motocross,
    > baseball, landscape, archiecture, weddings, nor football, but
    > simply: Portraits.
    >
    > What I am wondering is this: the H5 and the D70 produce an image
    > of about the same mega pixels, 5 meg vs 6 meg respectfully.

    get a flash card. go down to a few stores, and try the cameras.
    also try a S2 Pro, often chosen because of its skin tones.

    take the card home, and look at how the cameras render skin tones.

    Crownfield, Oct 25, 2004