    between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
    concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
    this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?
    Patrick Markovic, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Patrick Markovic wrote:
    > After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade
    > to a newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the
    > specifications for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a
    > side-by-side comparison between the two? The only feature of the
    > Coolpix 8800 that causes me some concern is the turn-on and shutter
    > lag, the D70 had basically eliminated this lag. Any comments or
    > advice of users of either of these cameras?

    I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
    cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
    differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
    D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
    capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
    purchases.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Patrick Markovic

    larrylook Guest

    "Patrick Markovic" <> wrote in message
    > After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
    > newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the

    specifications
    > for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
    > between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
    > concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
    > this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

    You need to decide how much time you want to put into this hobby. The D70
    has a considerable learning curve, but is a camera you can grow into and
    eventually make great pics - if you put in the time. P&S have certain
    advantages for those who don't want picture shooting to become too
    intellectual or technical.

    I decided on d70 over olympus 8080, and glad I did. I enjoy learning about
    the d70 little by little. 8080 would perhaps have been adequate for many of
    my uses, but not a camera you can grow as much with. Turn on time and
    shutter lag are part of advantages, interchangable lens are another. Your
    first pictures with d70 may not jump out at you and say "I was taken with a
    great camera" though. DSLR - can't use the little screen to compose, must
    use viewfinder.
    larrylook, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Patrick Markovic

    Billy V Guest

    Patrick,

    I was using the Nikon 995 for 2.5 years. I loved it. But alas the
    camera has a few problems with focusing. I am hard on cameras. I do a
    lot of hiking and rock climbing with them. I have a nasty little 6mm
    long by .5 mmm wide crack in the body part (that houses the focusing
    mechanism) with lots of dings around the crack.

    Two weeks ago I just purchased the D70. I love it. It uses all the
    great Nikon lenses that I have for my Nikon N90 film camera. Learning
    curve is not that hard. But there is some work in setting up the
    features the way you want them

    My photos cover everything from Mountains, to portraits, to jewelry
    and the D70 seems to be the be working out GREAT.

    As for shutter lag... none. I was photographing some remote control
    airplanes in the air this afternoon and the photos came out great!

    Good luck in choosing a camera, but I have been buying Nikon products
    for 37 years and I have never had a bum product, (Well I did, but
    Nikon and the dealer replaced it immediately)

    BillyV

    Billy V, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Patrick Markovic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Patrick Markovic
    <> wrote:

    >After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
    >newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
    >for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
    >between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
    >concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
    >this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

    I started with a CP-990 and all the converter lenses,then moved up to a
    CP-5700 and all the converters. Just recently I moved up to a D70 with kit
    lens and AF-S 70-200 VR f2.8.

    This is really an apples and oranges comparison. Each gives you something
    the other doesn't, but also gives up something in return. There is no free
    lunch.

    CP
    Pros: Small size, cheaper price for focal length range, real time preview,
    movies, excellent macro capability, available converters, built in
    stabilization.
    Cons: Slow turn-on and focus, small sensor has more noise especially at
    higher ISO, slow update of EVF, EVF/LCD useless if you wear highly
    polarized lenses, difficult to manually focus and zoom realtime, adapters
    required to use filters, converters require adapters, higher power
    consumption - battery usage higher

    dSLR
    Pros: Quick turn-on and focus, real-time zoom control, manual focus, higher
    and more sustained burst rate, larger sensor has less noise especially at
    higher ISO, optical viewfinder with DOF preview, larger lens selection,
    standard filter and lens mounting, lower power consumption - batteries last
    longer
    Cons: Larger and more $$ for same focal length range, no preview or movies,
    macro requires another lens, sensor contamination/cleaning
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Nov 1, 2004
  6. On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:24:40 -0000, David J Taylor wrote:

    > I think you need to define what you want to achieve from your use of these
    > cameras (type of subject etc.) and be aware of the size and cost
    > differences for a comparable capability (image stabilised lenses for the
    > D70 are not cheap). One is a point and shoot with great built-in
    > capabilities, the other could be heart of a system but requires extra
    > purchases.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    David --
    Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
    document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
    pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports so try
    to take action pictures of them participating.
    The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter lag
    does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures. I've gotton
    fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the shutter half way and
    then fully when the action starts. Years ago I used a Pentax Spotomatic
    SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x converter. I have that camera
    available for sale but doubt that it has much residual value, haven't used
    it in some 5-10 years.
    Patrick Markovic, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Patrick Markovic wrote:
    []
    > David --
    > Good point. Most of my picture taking is of family members and do
    > document our travels. I do a lot of scenery pictures and some macro
    > pictures of flowers, etc. Some of the grandchildren are into sports
    > so try to take action pictures of them participating.
    > The 8800 seems to have more of the features that I need, the shutter
    > lag does cause me some concern in trying to take action pictures.
    > I've gotton fairly good results with the 995 in depressing the
    > shutter half way and then fully when the action starts. Years ago I
    > used a Pentax Spotomatic SLR with an exrta 135mm lens and 3x
    > converter. I have that camera available for sale but doubt that it
    > has much residual value, haven't used it in some 5-10 years.

    If the 8800 has most of what you need, you might be able to save yourself
    a little money by getting the Panasonic FZ20 instead. For general and
    travel photography the lighter weight and more compact size of a
    point-and-shoot system is very important to me. If you can compare these
    cameras in a shop you may be able to get a feeling for their capabilities.

    Most non-SLR cameras will have more delay in taking than the D70, but you
    can sometimes allow for this by half-pressing the shutter release before
    taking, or using preset focussing (as focussing often takes the most
    time).

    Perhaps if your Pentax is in good condition it may be bought by a museum
    in 30 - 50 years time? <G>

    Chrers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 1, 2004
  8. On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, Patrick Markovic wrote:

    > After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
    > newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
    > for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
    > between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
    > concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
    > this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

    Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions on choosing a D70
    versus CP8800. After considering your advice and talking to a local
    dealer, think I'll get the D70. It looks like it will be a camera that
    will serve me longer, enable me to stretch my ability but also my budget.
    I'll keep the CP995 as a P&S for snapshots and use the D70 for serious
    photography. Wish me luck.....
    Patrick Markovic, Nov 2, 2004
  9. Patrick Markovic

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Nikon D70 vs Coolpix 8800
    >From: Patrick Markovic
    >Date: 11/2/2004 7:05 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:45:27 -0500, Patrick Markovic wrote:
    >
    >> After using a Nikon Coolpix 995 for three years, looking to up-grade to a
    >> newer model. Was thinking about a Nikon D70 until I saw the specifications
    >> for the new Coolpix 8800. Has anyone made a side-by-side comparison
    >> between the two? The only feature of the Coolpix 8800 that causes me some
    >> concern is the turn-on and shutter lag, the D70 had basically eliminated
    >> this lag. Any comments or advice of users of either of these cameras?

    >Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions on choosing a D70
    >versus CP8800. After considering your advice and talking to a local
    >dealer, think I'll get the D70. It looks like it will be a camera that
    >will serve me longer, enable me to stretch my ability but also my budget.
    >I'll keep the CP995 as a P&S for snapshots and use the D70 for serious
    >photography. Wish me luck.....

    Sometimes P&S results in high art. Look at the work of Weegee, all P&S.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Nov 2, 2004
  10. I have to agree with the other posts. I graduated from the Canon s50 to the
    Nikon d70 and I am not looking back.
    Yes, there is a learning curve but it is worth the effort.
    I have had many compliments on my night shots of lansscapes and of my son
    marching in the high school band on fridays.
    Many of those shots have turned in 8x10's and are hanging on the wall.
    I bought a 28-200 mm nikkor lens for those shots and haven't regretted it.
    The d70 is a no brainer.
    Excellent camera
    The couple of times that I have called for support/ no problems.
    I always reach for the d70 over the s50.

    Charles Eaves, Nov 8, 2004