    shoots at 3fps, has same resolution, costs a little less. What is the D70
    body made of?
    Thanks!
    kb, Apr 4, 2004

  2. kb wrote:
    > What would be the main differences between these? Looks like the nikon
    > shoots at 3fps, has same resolution, costs a little less. What is the D70
    > body made of?
    > Thanks!

    I don't recall a Canon D10 -

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Apr 4, 2004

  3. kb

    S. Guest

    No he meant the Canon 60D!

    S.

    S., Apr 4, 2004
  4. kb

    kb Guest

    Duh....sorry, 10D...

    kb, Apr 4, 2004
  5. kb wrote:

    > Duh....sorry, 10D...

    Let's not get sloppy out there, kb - this has come up before.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Apr 4, 2004
  6. >What is the D70
    >body made of?

    Plastic. Seems like the only obvious downside of that baby. But I think the
    next DSLR with a metal body costs nearly the double price.

    -Michael
    Michael Schnell, Apr 4, 2004
  7. kb

    JR Guest

    In article <c4pmi9$355$00$-online.com>,
    Michael Schnell <> wrote:

    > >What is the D70
    > >body made of?

    > Plastic. Seems like the only obvious downside of that baby. But I think the
    > next DSLR with a metal body costs nearly the double price.

    But not nearly as flimsy feeling or plasticky as the Canon digital
    rebel. The D70 feels alot more solid, almost like my F100.

    JR
    JR, Apr 5, 2004
  8. [On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:47:20 -0300, "kb"
    <> wrote:]

    > What would be the main differences between these? Looks like the nikon
    > shoots at 3fps, has same resolution, costs a little less. What is the D70
    > body made of?

    Don't be so quick.

    If you want a D70, then get one. The Canons have been around
    for awhile. Their faults are pretty well known by now.

    You will be making a major investment. I would rather make
    that in Canon. But that's just me.
    The Other Harry, Apr 5, 2004
  9. kb

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <ZbVbc.15465$>,
    kb <> wrote:
    >What would be the main differences between these?

    They should both be very capable cameras. I use a 10D and am very happy with
    it, it's one of the best "non-professional" digital cameras that money can
    buy. However, the D70 looks good on paper, and I'd be surprised if it didn't
    turn out to be a very capable camera in actual use as well, and to be honest
    their capabilities probably have more in common than not, so either should
    serve you very well.

    FWIW, I think you might be approaching this from the wrong end. Look at the
    respective lens systems of Canon and Nikon, decide with one of those you
    want to buy into (bodies will come and go, but good glass will last you
    decades), and then get the camera body which takes them.

    Good luck!
    Chris Brown, Apr 5, 2004
  10. JR <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > But not nearly as flimsy feeling or plasticky as the Canon digital
    > rebel. The D70 feels alot more solid, almost like my F100.

    Yeah, but so what... I use a hammer to punch nails into my wall... the
    camera I use for picture taking
    Bernhard Mayer, Apr 5, 2004
  11. kb

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:05:54 -0800,
    {STP} <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Bernhard Mayer) wrote:
    >
    >> JR <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > But not nearly as flimsy feeling or plasticky as the Canon digital
    >> > rebel. The D70 feels alot more solid, almost like my F100.

    >> Yeah, but so what... I use a hammer to punch nails into my wall... the
    >> camera I use for picture taking

    >Okay, but wouldn't you like a camera that's as durable as a hammer if
    >you drop it?

    Not if that makes it as heavy as a hammer. ;-)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 5, 2004
  12. kb

    {STP} Guest

    In article <>,
    (Bernhard Mayer) wrote:

    > JR <> wrote in message
    >
    > > But not nearly as flimsy feeling or plasticky as the Canon digital
    > > rebel. The D70 feels alot more solid, almost like my F100.

    > Yeah, but so what... I use a hammer to punch nails into my wall... the
    > camera I use for picture taking

    Okay, but wouldn't you like a camera that's as durable as a hammer if
    you drop it?

    {STP}
    {STP}, Apr 5, 2004
  13. kb

    {STP} Guest

    In article <Plfcc.3893$>,
    John Navas <> wrote:

    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <> on Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:05:54 -0800,
    > {STP} <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > (Bernhard Mayer) wrote:
    > >
    > >> JR <> wrote in message

    > >> Yeah, but so what... I use a hammer to punch nails into my wall... the
    > >> camera I use for picture taking

    > >Okay, but wouldn't you like a camera that's as durable as a hammer if
    > >you drop it?

    > Not if that makes it as heavy as a hammer. ;-)

    Actually, I'd accept a significant increase in weight for a significant
    increase in durability. Also, keep in mind that there are plastic
    hammers out there.

    {STP}
    {STP}, Apr 6, 2004
  14. kb

    JM Lobert Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What would be the main differences between these? Looks like the nikon
    >shoots at 3fps, has same resolution, costs a little less. What is the D70
    >body made of?
    >Thanks!

    Go to one of the review places such as this one:

    http://www.dpreview.com

    The D70 has only a pre-view (no final testing yet, because it just
    came out) but it gives you all the specs. You can compare that to the
    D10 or - if you wish - I can send you my home-made Excel file with
    that comparison in it.

    Biggest differences: alloy body 10D, Field of view crop is 1.6 (10D)
    vs 1.5 (D70), which makes a little difference at the wide-angle end;
    ISO 3200 on 10D (1600 D70), but the high ISOs are not very useful due
    to noise (unless you're operating it in the Arctic); exposure 1/8000
    vs 1/4000 (D70); 10D has some more capacity for RAW continuous
    shooting, but D70 is better at lower resolution files; D70 self-timer
    is 2-20 s vs 10 s fixed on D10; D70 viewfinder is very small with
    limited diopter adjustment, which is a significant drawback if you're
    wearing glasses; D70 has USB 2, 10D only 1.1; D70 weight is 590 g vs
    10D at 790 !! (alloy body!).

    So, all in all, they're pretty similar, the 10D is a tad more
    professional, but in terms of specs they don't give much. I had looked
    into buying a 10D for months and ended up ordering a D70 even though
    it's on back-order everywhere and in-depth tests have not been posted
    anywhere yet. (important if you want it yesterday). Read a lot of user
    comments, though, and all but a very few are very happy with the D70.

    I recommend that you go to a store and make sure you got your hands on
    both, then decide. The bulky weight of the D10 was the major turn-off
    that made me decide to go with the D70, which is nicer in my hands. It
    also has less and easier controls. And: the D70 is $1300 with a nice
    18-70 mm lens, made for this camera, about the same price as the 10D,
    body only....

    JP

    (remove second underscore to email)
    JM Lobert, Apr 8, 2004
  15. kb

    JM Lobert Guest

    I was pleasantly wrong on my comment that there is only a pre-view of
    the D70. dpreview.com now has the full review posted:

    Conclusion - Pros
    Excellent resolution and sharpness, seems better than EOS 300D / EOS
    10D
    Neutral color balance, 'Nikon like' (tuned towards skin tones)
    Good clean sharpening algorithm leaves almost no 'halo' artifacts
    Low noise even at high sensitivities, more monochromatic (film like)
    Excellent image parameter control; sharpening, tone, color mode,
    saturation and hue
    Custom curves allows user definable tone response
    Superb Nikon Matrix metering
    Very fast camera operation, virtually no startup, minimal usage delays
    Excellent continuous shooting, great throughput and 'Smart buffering'
    Very fast CF write performance
    Body design, finish and build quality
    More logical control layout, faster settings access than D100
    Lighter weight than D100, considerably lighter than EOS 10D
    Help pages on custom function menus
    Viewfinder gridlines (surprisingly useful)
    More manual control and more customizable than Canon EOS 300D
    RAW mode provides the 'digital negative'
    Image comment attachment
    Multiple color space support (sRGB, Adobe RGB)
    Orientation sensor for automatic image rotation
    Fully Nikkor lens compatible (plus new DX lenses)
    High resolution 134,000 pixel LCD monitor
    High capacity Lithium-Ion batteries, included CR2 battery carrier
    Superb value for money, better still than the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel)

    Conclusion - Cons
    Moiré / maze artifact pattern visible in certain images at the limit
    of resolution
    Bug which incorrectly tags images as Adobe RGB (we expect a firmware
    fix)
    Vignetting / lens shading on the AF-S DX 18-70mm lens at 18 mm, F3.5
    Still a very average automatic white balance performance, we expected
    more
    No Kelvin white balance selection in-camera
    Can't match the EOS 300D's silky smooth ISO 100 (low noise)
    ISO sensitivity not displayed on viewfinder status bar while being
    changed
    PictureProject feels like a step backwards, I recommend sticking with
    Nikon View
    USB connection labeled as USB 2 but only supports USB 1.1 transfer
    speeds
    Some reported quality control problems with early cameras (we did not
    experience this)
    No vertical grip (portrait grip / battery pack) available
    It's a pity RAW+JPEG only captures a Basic quality JPEG

    Overall conclusion
    Shortly after Canon announced the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) and it made
    its way into reviewers hands it was fairly clear that Canon were
    offering a formidable package at an excellent price which would be the
    mark for affordable digital SLR's of the future, with image quality
    almost identical to the EOS 10D and a sub-$1000 price it caused a
    significant ripple in the market. Now however it's clear that Nikon
    were well aware of this and had the D70 up their sleeve, a camera
    which is a significant step ahead of the EOS 300D in terms of build
    quality and feature set and a match, and in some instances better from
    an image quality point of view.

    Nikon have achieved three major improvements with the D70 (compared to
    the competition / the D100): (1) They have improved the performance of
    the camera, with its instant on availability, very fast shutter
    release, superb continuous shooting and image processing speed and
    smart use of its buffer. (2) They have maintained build quality while
    still delivering a smaller and lighter camera, the D70 doesn't feel
    much less well built than the D100 but is lighter, it certainly feels
    much more like $1000 worth of camera than the EOS 300D could. (3) They
    have improved image sharpness and detail, while we could niggle about
    moiré the compromise between artifacts and sharpness is worth it, in
    many instances the D70 delivering more detail than our previous
    benchmark, the EOS 300D / EOS 10D CMOS sensor.

    There's not much more for me to add other than I am very pleased to
    see Nikon stepping up with a quality camera which doesn't compromise
    on build quality, feature set or image quality and yet offers superb
    value for money. There's no risk involved in the D70's slightly higher
    price compared to the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel), it's absolutely worth
    it.

    Highly Recommended

    So which one should I buy? A question I get asked several times a day,
    and I wouldn't like to say. In a new addition to my reviews (after the
    amount of feedback I normally get) I've added a link to a specific
    forum in which you can discuss the review or ask me specific questions
    which I've not answered in these pages.

    JM Lobert, Apr 8, 2004