    focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    focus to use without glasses?

    Thanks. JAB

    jbert, Mar 22, 2005

  2. jbert

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:58:08 -0500, jbert <>
    wrote:

    >In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
    >view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
    >summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
    >tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
    >the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
    >pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    >sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    >focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    >focus to use without glasses?

    Yes, the D70.

    Return your glasses to the shop. They obviously don't work.

    Take another look at the D70, maybe with a magnifying glass or ask the
    assistant to describe the controls around the eyepiece to you.

    BTW, Lasik is very good now: http://www.tlcvision.com/

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 22, 2005

  3. jbert

    Roy Guest

    I wear glasses and have a D70.

    At first I was very aware of the VF being much smaller than my 35mm VFs, but
    it only took a couple of days to get used to it, and it really isn't any
    kind of a problem now.

    I can't imagine why anyone would want to use Polarising Sunglasses while
    looking through a SLR Viewfinder, never mind why anyone would want to do
    this when a Polarising Filter is on the Lens. I think your perceived
    problem would be similar with almost any DSLR. (Perhaps you should go for
    one with an Electronic VF)

    The D70 does have VF dioptre correction.

    Roy G.

    Roy, Mar 22, 2005
  4. In article <>, Owamanga
    <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    > >focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    > >focus to use without glasses?

    > Yes, the D70.
    >
    > Return your glasses to the shop. They obviously don't work.
    >
    > Take another look at the D70, maybe with a magnifying glass or ask the
    > assistant to describe the controls around the eyepiece to you.

    Ignore the above writers snide comments; until you actually own and use
    a camera, it's easy to miss small controls. The D70 HAS a diopter
    adjustment, just to the right of the viewfinder.

    (The owner's manual humorously warns against poking yourself in the eye
    while setting it)

    Despite the rabid defense of some users, the D70 viewfinder is marginal
    at best, and is the cameras weakest point. To cut costs, Nikon used a
    "pentamirror" instead of the more usual solid pentaprism. This saves
    money and weight, but costs viewfinder brightness and clarity. To
    partially compansate, Nikon reduced the finder magnification and used a
    more transparent focusing screen. This latter reduces the ability to
    focus manually.

    The interim solution (assuming you like Nikons - I do) is to purchase a
    D100 instead. In a bit longer term, I've been unoficially told by a
    Nikon rep to expect a camera with the D100 optics and the D70
    electronics this summer. This will most likely be in the D100 price
    range, though.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 22, 2005
  5. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:58:08 -0500, jbert <>
    wrote:

    >In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
    >view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
    >summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
    >tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
    >the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
    >pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    >sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    >focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    >focus to use without glasses?
    >
    >Thanks. JAB

    I wear glaases and the D70 viewfinder just takes some getting used to.
    Wearing polarized glasses and looking at anything else that is
    polarized is always a problem. I can't see the radio readout in my car
    with polarized glasses on because the two things are polarized in
    different directions.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 22, 2005
  6. jbert

    Frank ess Guest

    jbert wrote:
    > In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the
    > small view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a
    > DSLR by summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local
    > Best Buy and tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone
    > who wears glasses, the view finder is terrible. This would create a
    > hardship when taking pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to
    > look through Polaroid sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR
    > that has an adjustable focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony
    > camcorder) that I could focus to use without glasses?

    My experience has been that I can't do photography outdoors, using any
    of a dozen different cameras, while wearing prescription sunglasses. The
    viewfinders and LCDs are just too obscure.

    I have seen glasses with lenses hinged at center-bottom, used by women
    when applying eye makeup. I fantasize a pair of these with my sunglass
    tint and prescription.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 22, 2005
  7. jbert

    Sheldon Guest

    "jbert" <> wrote in message
    > In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
    > view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
    > summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
    > tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
    > the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
    > pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    > sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    > focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could focus
    > to use without glasses?
    >
    > Thanks. JAB

    I wear both glasses and contacts. I don't have a problem with the D70 using
    either, and there is a diopter adjustment just to the right of the
    viewfinder (slides up and down). Since my contacts are set to monovision,
    and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
    adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.

    If you don't want to wear your glasses, and the diopter adjustment isn't
    enough, Nikon does make corrective lenses that will fit over the eyepiece (I
    think they fit several models). You have to know your prescription, and I
    would assume you fine tune it with the diopter adjustment.

    Ask your dealer or give Nikon a call.

    Sheldon, Mar 23, 2005
  8. jbert

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Sheldon" <> wrote:

    > Since my contacts are set to monovision,
    > and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
    > adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.

    Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
    of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes plus
    reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
    top display).

    Bubbabob, Mar 23, 2005
  9. jbert

    Sheldon Guest

    "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > "Sheldon" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Since my contacts are set to monovision,
    >> and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
    >> adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.
    >>

    > Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
    > of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes
    > plus
    > reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
    > top display).

    Sometimes it gets to me, but most of the time it works just fine. Just a
    matter of getting used to it. I know some people who've had corrective
    surgery and done the monovision thing. I would never go that far. Funny,
    however, I use my right hand to hold a cup, and my right eye is set to close
    vision, so every time I take a drink and bring the cup up to my face I can't
    read the paper. :-(

    I was just surprised the diopter adjustment corrected for that. I thought I
    might have to get my contacts flipped.

    Sheldon, Mar 23, 2005
  10. jbert

    C J Campbell Guest

    While I wear eyeglasses and have a D70, my correction is not large and I am
    able to use it. Nevertheless, I think the viewfinder is terrible. In fact, I
    don't like the viewfinder on almost any of the DSLRs I have seen. Apparently
    manufacturers think that digital cameras don't need good viewfinders.

    If my vision was any worse I would probably get a viewfinder magnifier.

    C J Campbell, Mar 23, 2005
  11. jbert

    Diane Wilson Guest

    In article <Xns9621CCFDB33D0dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
    rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net says...
    > "Sheldon" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Since my contacts are set to monovision,
    > > and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
    > > adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.
    > >

    > Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
    > of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes plus
    > reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
    > top display).

    Some people can adapt; some can't; some optometrists are better at
    fitting monovision than others. Getting the right multifocal
    lens also seems to be part of the equation; I tried changing
    once and it was awful.

    It does take a while to adjust; it took me about 2 or 3 months.
    I needed reading glasses at first, but after getting used to the
    contacts, I don't need glasses at all except for really fine detail
    work.

    But after ten years of having glasses between me and a viewfinder,
    it sure is nice not to need them any more.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Mar 23, 2005
  12. "jbert" <> wrote in message

    > In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
    > view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
    > summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
    > tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
    > the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
    > pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    > sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    > focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could

    I agree with you that the finder is terrible, but only because of how small
    the image is, not because it's not adjustable... because it *is* adjustable.
    The adjustment is on a sliding control just to the right of the eyepiece.

    Andrew Koenig, Mar 23, 2005
  13. jbert

    Ken Tough Guest

    jbert <> wrote:

    >would create a hardship when taking
    >pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    >sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    >focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    >focus to use without glasses?

    You might not be able to adjust the D70 enough using the diopter fix,
    but maybe you can. You won't be able to use polarising sunglasses
    with a polarising filter on any SLR; physics prevents it.

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Mar 23, 2005
  14. jbert

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Ken Tough wrote:
    > jbert <> wrote:
    >

    >>would create a hardship when taking
    >>pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
    >>sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
    >>focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
    >>focus to use without glasses?

    > You might not be able to adjust the D70 enough using the diopter fix,
    > but maybe you can. You won't be able to use polarising sunglasses
    > with a polarising filter on any SLR; physics prevents it.

    I have 20/20 vision, but find I need to move the diopter slider about halfway
    down, rather than having it right at the bottom. Both seem in focus, but the
    setting I'm now using means I don't have blurred vision in my other eye after
    looking through the camera for a while - I shut my left eye when shooting.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Ben Thomas, Mar 23, 2005