    proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR cams)?

    Thanks,

    Fred.

    Fred Finisterre, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Fred Finisterre

    Roy G Guest

    "Fred Finisterre" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
    > all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
    >
    > And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
    > future proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future
    > D-SLR cams)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 22, 2006

  3. Fred Finisterre

    Cynicor Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "Fred Finisterre" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
    >> all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
    >>
    >> And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
    >> future proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future
    >> D-SLR cams)?
    >>

    > This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

    I find the 18-70 to be a bit sharper than the 18-200, now that I have both.

    Cynicor, Dec 22, 2006
  4. "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > This is a joke posting, isn't it ??

    No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
    cover a wider range.

    Thanks,

    Fred.

    Fred Finisterre, Dec 22, 2006
  5. Fred Finisterre

    > "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??
    >>

    > No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
    > cover a wider range.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    Hi to Rip van Winkle

    You only need to read a little bit further back in this group to find
    threads about the Nikon VR 18 - 200 lens.

    Or go to any Dealer or Review site to discover that this recent lens has
    been the subject of considerable discussion.

    It does seem a little strange that you should pick the exact focal lengths
    of this much talked about lens.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 22, 2006
  6. Fred Finisterre

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:13:24 -0000, "Fred Finisterre"
    <> wrote:

    >"Roy G" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> This is a joke posting, isn't it ??
    >>

    >No. It's a question by a novice asking if there are any decent lenses that
    >cover a wider range.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Fred.

    A "novice" who owns a D70 and has no idea if there is an 18-200mm
    lens? And is savvy enough to use Usenet?
    A "novice" posting with a Gmail email address, but isn't aware of
    Google? Or didn't read the promotional papers in the D70 box? Or isn't
    smart enough to even check Nikon's site?
    Well, I suppose it is possible, but if so, I hope the OP doesn't want
    children.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 22, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    says...

    > A "novice" who owns a D70 and has no idea if there is an 18-200mm
    > lens? And is savvy enough to use Usenet?
    > A "novice" posting with a Gmail email address, but isn't aware of
    > Google? Or didn't read the promotional papers in the D70 box? Or isn't
    > smart enough to even check Nikon's site?
    > Well, I suppose it is possible, but if so, I hope the OP doesn't want
    > children.

    Yea, how DO they happen ?

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Dec 22, 2006
  8. Fred Finisterre

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
    >all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
    >
    >And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as future
    >proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR cams)?

    Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is still
    hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The 18-70 mm lens may
    be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image stabilization) is a huge factor
    offsetting that. With VR, you can (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15 second
    handheld with decent results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of shots).
    One downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
    opportunity comes up more often.

    It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are the
    lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when the cameras
    start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
    unusable.

    Wayne, Dec 22, 2006
  9. In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <> wrote:

    > If and when the cameras
    > start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
    > unusable.

    Why?

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

    Ockham's Razor, Dec 22, 2006
  10. Fred Finisterre

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:05:30 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:

    > In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> If and when the cameras
    >> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
    >> unusable.

    > Why?

    Because the manufacturer designed them to not work on full frame cameras?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Dec 22, 2006
  11. Fred Finisterre

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 22 Dec 2006 21:00:29 GMT, "J. Clarke" <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:05:30 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:
    >
    >> In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If and when the cameras
    >>> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
    >>> unusable.

    >> Why?

    >Because the manufacturer designed them to not work on full frame cameras?

    But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
    for.
    Two points:
    Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
    anytime soon.
    If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.

    Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
    Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 22, 2006
  12. Wayne wrote:

    > Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is
    > still hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The

    Surely you jest? The 18-200mm VR a classic? I just about peed myself when
    I read this. The 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor and the 28mm f/1.4 are classics.

    > 18-70 mm lens may be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image
    > stabilization) is a huge factor offsetting that. With VR, you can
    > (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15 second handheld with decent
    > results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of shots). One
    > downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
    > opportunity comes up more often.

    I agree that the 18-70 is a bit sharper and has less distortion. As for the
    VR on the 18-200 it is more akin to a placebo. It does work remarkably
    well, but the light gathering ability of the 18-200 is severely attenuated
    compared to a comparable focal length of a pro lens shooting at the same
    aperture. The bottom line, you need a hell of a lot of light to wake this
    lens up. Comparing consumer grade lenses to consumer grade lenses the 18-70
    is the true "classic" in that category.

    > It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are
    > the lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when
    > the cameras start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will
    > be obsolete and unusable.

    The lens is 100% future-proof. You wait and get one for $750 and play with
    it for several weeks and throw it up on eBay to make a few bucks. Now,
    since you have some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket go out and buy
    some real lenses.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 22, 2006
  13. "Wayne" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >>I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
    >>all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
    >>
    >>And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
    >>future
    >>proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR
    >>cams)?

    > Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is
    > still
    > hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The 18-70 mm lens
    > may
    > be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image stabilization) is a huge
    > factor
    > offsetting that. With VR, you can (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15
    > second
    > handheld with decent results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of
    > shots).
    > One downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
    > opportunity comes up more often.
    >
    > It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are the
    > lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when the
    > cameras
    > start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
    > unusable.

    I hardly think so. The vast majority of digital photographers will still be
    quite content with the so-called APS-size sensor, which will always have
    some advantages over full frame anyway. In fact, the vast majority of
    digital camera users are perfectly content with sensors far smaller than
    that, in their compacts and ultracompacts.

    All these people thinking some day they'll need to move up to full frame --
    reminds me of all those people 50 years ago who insisted 35mm was too small
    for serious photography and you really had to have medium format or 4x5 to
    make sharp pictures.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 23, 2006
  14. Fred Finisterre

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
    >for.
    >Two points:
    >Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
    >anytime soon.
    >If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.

    Yes, true, sticking with outdated techology has fewer concerns about
    the "future-proofing" question.

    >Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
    >Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.

    Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.

    When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it. Grandma may not
    as soon, but a DSLR fan will. If future-proofing the purchase is the
    question, this is a primary concern.

    My own attitude is to not be so concerned with future-proofing. Times
    change. If into the hobby, bite the bullet, buy the good new stuff.

    Wayne, Dec 23, 2006
  15. "Wayne" <> wrote in message

    [ . . . ]

    > Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.

    I don't want a "new full frame body."

    > When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it.

    Not me.

    > Grandma may not
    > as soon, but a DSLR fan will.

    Not *this* dSLR fan.

    > If future-proofing the purchase is the
    > question, this is a primary concern.

    For the miniscule percentage of dSLR users who are waiting breathlessly for
    the supposedly wonderful benefit of full frame, that's probably true. For
    most of us it's of no concern whatever, let alone primary (or prime, as we
    say).

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 23, 2006
  16. Fred Finisterre

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:20:32 GMT, Wayne <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >
    >>But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
    >>for.
    >>Two points:
    >>Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
    >>anytime soon.
    >>If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.

    >Yes, true, sticking with outdated techology has fewer concerns about
    >the "future-proofing" question.
    >

    >>Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
    >>Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.

    >Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.

    Unusable *to that person.*
    The lens isn't unusable; it's the combination that's unusable.
    If you sell your ASP sensor camera, why not sell the lenses with it?
    That does away with the "unusable" problem.

    >When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it. Grandma may not
    >as soon, but a DSLR fan will. If future-proofing the purchase is the
    >question, this is a primary concern.

    You are speaking for a lot of people, here.
    *If* full-frame DSLRs become as common as APS DSLRs are, the APS DSLRs
    don't just disappear. And that won't happen any time soon, either.

    >My own attitude is to not be so concerned with future-proofing. Times
    >change. If into the hobby, bite the bullet, buy the good new stuff.

    Good. :)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 23, 2006
  17. Fred Finisterre

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >*If* full-frame DSLRs become as common as APS DSLRs are, the APS DSLRs
    >don't just disappear. And that won't happen any time soon, either.

    But it certainly will happen of course, and we will likely be surprised by
    how soon. It has only been a few years ago (less than ten years, if that)
    that we all had film cameras (Yes, some people still do, but they are
    fading fast). Then the first popularity of digital cameras taking images
    smaller than 1 megapixel, which barely printed snapshots. Possibly a few
    of those still in use today too? But today is a very different world of
    course, technology changes very fast.

    Conversely, I have one Nikon lens left that is more than 40 years old. The
    f/3.5 55mm macro, upgraded to AI, used with manual metering for years, and
    yes, it is still a great lens, but I have replaced it too. Compatibility
    is an issue, even if difficult to predict.

    The question was:

    >And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as

    future
    >proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR

    cams)?

    My answer was that the todays DX lenses will not work on future full-frame
    bodies.

    What is hard about that? If concerned with maximum future-proofing, one
    can buy many full-frame lenses today. Larger, heavier, more expense, no
    doubt better optics, and more future-proof, at least in that one regard
    which can be predicted today.

    Wayne, Dec 23, 2006