Nikon D70 to be upgraded to an 8MP Nilkon D70S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by carrigman, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. carrigman

    carrigman Guest

    carrigman, Mar 29, 2005

  2. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    sid derra, Mar 29, 2005

  3. carrigman

    Bubbabob Guest

    "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:

    > "carrigman" <> wrote in message
    >> Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
    >>
    >> http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=20921
    >>
    >> Carrigman

    > according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
    > ANY difference to the d70...
    >
    > sid

    Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    Bubbabob, Mar 30, 2005
  4. carrigman

    paul Guest

    Bubbabob wrote:

    > Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    USB2?

    paul, Mar 30, 2005
  5. carrigman

    Sheldon Guest

    "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:
    >
    >> "carrigman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=20921
    >>>
    >>> Carrigman

    >> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
    >> ANY difference to the d70...
    >>
    >> sid
    >>

    > Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    I would say many people would be happy just to get a hole to screw a shutter
    release cable into, a 100 ISO, a mirror lockup and an optional vertical grip
    (from Nikon). The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not so
    sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it. It they do go to 8, I can
    see them keeping the camera in the line, assuming they can come up with a
    price spread between the old and new camera to keep it alive. As usual,
    just MHO.

    Sheldon, Mar 30, 2005
  6. carrigman

    Tom Scales Guest

    No. USB Full Speed.

    In other words, USB1.1 under a new name

    Tom Scales, Mar 30, 2005
  7. carrigman

    C J Campbell Guest

    "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
    > "carrigman" <> wrote in message
    > > Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
    > >
    > > http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=20921
    > >
    > > Carrigman

    > according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
    > difference to the d70...

    That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?

    C J Campbell, Mar 30, 2005
  8. carrigman

    Bubbabob Guest

    paul <> wrote:

    > Bubbabob wrote:
    >>
    >> Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    > USB2?

    Unchanged. It's still not high-speed USB 2.

    Bubbabob, Mar 30, 2005
  9. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
    > > "carrigman" <> wrote in message
    > > > Or so the (informed?) speculation suggests:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.ephotozine.com/forum/viewanswers.cfm?qid=20921
    > > >
    > > > Carrigman

    > > according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see ANY
    > > difference to the d70...
    > >

    > That page has no specs on it. Where are the specs you are talking about?

    page 201-205 of the d70s user manual
    sid

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  10. carrigman

    sid derra Guest

    "Sheldon" <> wrote in message

    > "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > > "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "carrigman" <> wrote in message

    > >> according to the specs it'll be a 6.1mp - in fact - i hardly can see
    > >> ANY difference to the d70...
    > >>
    > >> sid
    > >>

    > > Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    > I would say many people would be happy just to get a hole to screw a

    shutter
    > release cable into, a 100 ISO, a mirror lockup and an optional vertical

    grip
    > (from Nikon). The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not

    so
    > sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it. It they do go to 8, I

    can
    > see them keeping the camera in the line, assuming they can come up with a
    > price spread between the old and new camera to keep it alive. As usual,
    > just MHO.

    d70s: no iso 100, no mirror lock up as far as i can tell, no 8mp, dont know
    about vertical grip.

    check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs only here...

    sid

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  11. carrigman

    check http://tinyurl.com/576ra - youll find the specs-only version here...

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005
  12. In article <>, Sheldon
    <> wrote:

    > The camera has been a huge success for Nikon, and I'm not so
    > sure another 2 megapixels will make or break it.

    More pixels is not what the D70 needs. I'd be more interested in a
    "D100s."

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 30, 2005
  13. "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message

    > Biggest change seems to be the remote cable.

    Where did you see that there is connection for a remote cable? I didn't see
    that in the spec.

    There is a company that has been retrofitting the D70 with a connection for
    a remote cable, the same company that's making the after-market grip, see:
    http://www.harbortronics.com/VGD70.asp

    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 30, 2005
  14. carrigman

    Guest

    I put links to the D50 and D70 manuals up on my web site, at
    "http://digitalslrinfo.com" and have added them to the table.

    "http://www.conneti.com/d50_usermanual.pdf"
    "http://www.conneti.com/d70s_usermanual.pdf"

    Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
    just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
    areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
    lack of a vertical grip.

    Steve

    , Mar 31, 2005
  15. carrigman

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2005/3/30 6:05 PM, "" <>
    wrote:

    > Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
    > just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
    > areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
    > lack of a vertical grip.

    How do you determine "major complaint areas"?

    I agree on the need for ISO 100. While I don't have particular need for a
    vertical grip, I can understand why it might be desirable.

    But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
    I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

    Bob Haar, Mar 31, 2005
  16. carrigman

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:58:43 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Bob Haar
    <> wrote:

    >But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
    >I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

    No, the feature missing is the ability to take a photo with the mirror
    locked up, eliminating the effect of vibration due to mirror motion on the
    photo.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Mar 31, 2005
  17. writes:

    > I put links to the D50 and D70 manuals up on my web site, at
    > "http://digitalslrinfo.com" and have added them to the table.
    >
    > "http://www.conneti.com/d50_usermanual.pdf"
    > "http://www.conneti.com/d70s_usermanual.pdf"
    >
    > Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
    > just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
    > areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
    > lack of a vertical grip.

    Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
    "professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
    mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
    that now.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 31, 2005
  18. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:58:43 -0500, Bob Haar <>
    wrote:

    >On 2005/3/30 6:05 PM, "" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >> Of course we're assuming that this isn't an early April Fool's joke. It
    >> just doesn't make sense that Nikon would not fix the major complaint
    >> areas on the D70, i.e. the lack of mirror lock-up, no ISO 100, and the
    >> lack of a vertical grip.

    >How do you determine "major complaint areas"?
    >
    >I agree on the need for ISO 100. While I don't have particular need for a
    >vertical grip, I can understand why it might be desirable.

    I'm in the opposite: I would like mirror lockup and a vertical grip.
    No need for ISO 100 as long as the 200 is very good.

    Very simple: A D100 with D70 electronics.

    >But my D70 already has a mirror lockup function. It is on the main menu and
    >I have used it while cleaning dust off the sensor.

    That's just for sensor cleaning. See other post.

    -espen
    --
    All generalisering er farlig
    http://www.seland.org/

    Espen Stranger Seland, Mar 31, 2005
  19. On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:34:20 -0700, "Sheldon" <>
    wrote:

    > a hole to screw a shutter release cable into

    What's the big deal about this? There's an IR remote. If you're close enough to
    use a cable then you're close enough to reach over the camera to use the IR.

    Maybe an additional sensor on the rear would be a better idea

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Mar 31, 2005
  20. In article <-b.net>,
    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >Nikon has consistently kept mirror lockup out of all but their
    >"professional" cameras since they started making cameras with
    >mirrors. I consider it pretty optimistic to expect them to change
    >that now.

    Except for the Nikkormat.

    Personally, I think that (with a few exceptions) the self-timer works just
    as well to reduce vibrations.

    Philip Homburg, Mar 31, 2005