Nikon D70 RAW files question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Hello Everybody,

    I have been playing with the Nikon D70 RAW files to get the best
    possible prints. I have some good prints from the pro film and I am
    trying to get results closer to the film prints. I use a good pro lab
    to get the digital prints.

    In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:

    Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
    high and high )
    Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom

    1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
    Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
    get good prints.

    2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
    before printing?

    Will greatly appreciate your feedback.

    Thanks,
    Pat

    Pat, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Pat

    John S Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:
    >
    > Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
    > high and high )

    In camera, none

    > Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom

    Tone comp: none

    > 1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
    > Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
    > get good prints.

    Use unsharp mask in NC rather than sharpening. Use small amounts,
    oversharpened images look good on screen but weird printed

    > 2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
    > before printing?

    WB - usually only needs to be set correctly if I had it set wrong (or the
    camera guessed wrong in auto WB)

    Sometimes a little playing with curves or levels can correct for exposure
    errors.

    John S, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Pat

    larrylook Guest

    Have you tried forum at dpreview on D70. I bet you'll get some good

    larrylook, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Pat

    Petr V. Guest

    First of all, never use Auto WB, I can't seem to get consistent results with
    it so I just set it myself.
    I do a lot of outdoors shoots so here are my settings for that.
    Sharpening +2
    Tone +2
    Color Mode 3
    Saturation +
    Hue 0
    These settings work really good outdoors and produce awesome images that
    hardly ever require editing. For editing however I strictly use Photoshop
    CS, I tried NC4 and there is not enough options that you can do with the RAW
    files, let alone other adjustments. If you do use PS make sure you have the
    latest camera raw plugin from the adobe site (ver 2.2). Hope this helps

    Petr V., Aug 3, 2004
  5. Pat

    Misifus Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have been playing with the Nikon D70 RAW files to get the best
    > possible prints. I have some good prints from the pro film and I am
    > trying to get results closer to the film prints. I use a good pro lab
    > to get the digital prints.
    >
    > In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:
    >
    > Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
    > high and high )
    > Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom
    >
    > 1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
    > Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
    > get good prints.
    >
    > 2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
    > before printing?
    >
    > Will greatly appreciate your feedback.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pat

    I don't have a set procedure that I use on each frame. I usually adjust
    levels, and sometimes saturation. I nearly always sharpen but none of
    these adjustments are done in the same way every time. I adjust to meet
    the needs of the particular image I'm working on.

    -Raf

    Misifus, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Pat

    Petr Guest

    It all depends on the subject that you are shooting so you will have to
    adjust if you are not happy with the image. I find I try to set WB as best
    as possible when I am shooting, but you always have the option to change it
    all as long as you shoot in RAW mode. Personally I was not impressed with
    Nikon Capture, very limited functionality. I use Photoshop CS with the
    latest camera raw version (2.2). It is much more sophisicated and gives you
    more options to correct virtually everything from monochrome and color noise
    to lens defects, abberation etc.

    Petr, Aug 7, 2004
  7. On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:26:50 -0500, Misifus
    <> wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> I have been playing with the Nikon D70 RAW files to get the best
    >> possible prints. I have some good prints from the pro film and I am
    >> trying to get results closer to the film prints. I use a good pro lab
    >> to get the digital prints.
    >>
    >> In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:
    >>
    >> Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
    >> high and high )
    >> Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom

    Normally I leave it all in the default mode. OTOH there are a lot of
    exceptions. I do shoot in manual mode a lot, and on rare occasions
    use manual white balance.

    Other than that I do not do any processing in the camera.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 7, 2004