Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Hello Everybody,

    I have been playing with the Nikon D70 RAW files to get the best
    possible prints. I have some good prints from the pro film and I am
    trying to get results closer to the film prints. I use a good pro lab
    to get the digital prints.

    In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:

    Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
    high and high )
    Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom

    1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
    Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
    get good prints.

    2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
    before printing?

    Will greatly appreciate your feedback.

    Thanks,
    Pat

    Pat, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Pat

    Petr Guest

    It all varies from picture to picture, depending on what you are shooting.
    Most of the time I have Sharpening +2, Tone Custom. Best idea is to find a
    place that has a bit of everything, people, trees, grass, sky. clouds, etc
    and experiment with the different settings until you get a result that you
    like.
    Cheers
    Petr

    Petr, Aug 12, 2004

  3. (Pat) wrote in news:c03bf2a4.0408120612.32335995
    @posting.google.com:

    > 1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
    > Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
    > get good prints.
    >
    > 2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
    > before printing?

    Hi - I will give you feedback, but slightly different than you asked for
    :)

    First - sharpening is wisest to apply last in a work flow.
    So . the best thing is to choose minimum sharpening in the
    RAW to RGB conversion. So -2 would be my choice. Then I would
    use Photoshop (or whatever software you have) to sharpen as
    the last step.

    Personally I don't use any Nikon RAW editor, but this is what
    I usually do to nearly all my pictures.

    1. A combined cropping, leveling and restitution
    to get the picture I want.
    2. A combined levels and white balance.
    This will ensure that white is white, gray is gray
    and black is black.
    3. Sharpening based upon edge sharpening.
    4. Combined upscaling and printing in Qimage.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Pat

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 12 Aug 2004 17:20:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Roland Karlsson
    <> wrote:

    >RAW to RGB conversion. So -2 would be my choice. Then I would
    >use Photoshop (or whatever software you have) to sharpen as
    >the last step.
    >
    >Personally I don't use any Nikon RAW editor, but this is what
    >I usually do to nearly all my pictures.
    >
    >1. A combined cropping, leveling and restitution
    > to get the picture I want.
    >2. A combined levels and white balance.
    > This will ensure that white is white, gray is gray
    > and black is black.
    >3. Sharpening based upon edge sharpening.
    >4. Combined upscaling and printing in Qimage.

    If you upscale in Qimage this violates your sharpen last step rule. Does
    this also mean you doubly sharpen as by default Qimage does sharpening as
    well? See under Print => Print Interpolation.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 14, 2004