    taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in to
    do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to work
    on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

    larrylook, Jul 9, 2004

  2. On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:55:38 -0400, "larrylook" <>
    wrote:

    >I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF files
    >taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in to
    >do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to work
    >on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

    No real down side compared to working with any other file in PE as far
    as I can see.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jul 9, 2004

  3. larrylook

    MikeS Guest

    "larrylook" <> wrote in message
    > I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

    files
    > taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

    > do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

    work
    > on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

    Larry,
    The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
    you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff etc.

    Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about £70 to buy Nikon
    raw program and £500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
    hardware of about £45 to £70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss leader.

    Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should be
    free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save images
    on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
    loads of memory cards.
    That little lot will cost £200 to £300 for portable storage, flash gun say
    £300, tripod from £40 to £200. Macro lens say £350. Say between £900 and
    £1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
    pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of £2000 which of course
    will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs

    In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
    already catered for reactively cheaply.

    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 9, 2004
  4. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    "MikeS" <> wrote in message

    > "larrylook" <> wrote in message
    > > I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

    > files
    > > taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

    > > do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

    > work
    > > on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?
    > >

    > Larry,
    > The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
    > you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

    etc.

    > Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about £70 to buy

    Nikon
    > raw program and £500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
    > hardware of about £45 to £70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

    leader.

    > Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should

    be
    > free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

    images
    > on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
    > loads of memory cards.
    > That little lot will cost £200 to £300 for portable storage, flash gun say
    > £300, tripod from £40 to £200. Macro lens say £350. Say between £900 and
    > £1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
    > pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of £2000 which of course
    > will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
    >
    > In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
    > already catered for reactively cheaply.
    >
    > MikeS

    Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files - 2
    files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
    print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
    I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does this
    sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
    the NEF of the shot available.

    larrylook, Jul 9, 2004
  5. On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:08:33 -0400, "larrylook" <>
    wrote:

    >"MikeS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "larrylook" <> wrote in message
    >> > I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

    >> files
    >> > taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

    >> > do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

    >> work
    >> > on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?
    >> >

    >> Larry,
    >> The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
    >> you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

    >etc.
    >>
    >> Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about £70 to buy

    >Nikon
    >> raw program and £500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
    >> hardware of about £45 to £70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

    >leader.
    >>
    >> Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should

    >be
    >> free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

    >images
    >> on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
    >> loads of memory cards.
    >> That little lot will cost £200 to £300 for portable storage, flash gun say
    >> £300, tripod from £40 to £200. Macro lens say £350. Say between £900 and
    >> £1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
    >> pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of £2000 which of course
    >> will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
    >>
    >> In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
    >> already catered for reactively cheaply.
    >>
    >> MikeS

    >Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files - 2
    >files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
    >print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
    >I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does this
    >sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
    >the NEF of the shot available.

    PE does that. You'd have to delete the NEF if you didn't want to keep
    it. As PE is going to save the file as a different type it won't
    affect the original. Of course you will find that the TIFF is going
    to be considerably larger than the NEF.

    Roger Halstead, Jul 9, 2004
  6. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    "Roger Halstead" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:08:33 -0400, "larrylook" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"MikeS" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "larrylook" <> wrote in message
    > >> files

    in

    > >> work
    > >> >

    > >> Larry,
    > >> The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation

    before

    When
    > >> you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

    > >etc.
    > >>
    > >> Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about £70 to buy

    > >Nikon
    > >> raw program and £500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with

    some
    > >> hardware of about £45 to £70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

    > >leader.
    > >>
    > >> Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which

    should
    > >be
    > >> free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

    > >images
    > >> on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
    > >> loads of memory cards.
    > >> That little lot will cost £200 to £300 for portable storage, flash gun

    say
    > >> £300, tripod from £40 to £200. Macro lens say £350. Say between £900

    and
    > >> £1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own

    and
    > >> pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of £2000 which of

    course
    > >> will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
    > >>
    > >> In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
    > >> already catered for reactively cheaply.
    > >>
    > >> MikeS

    > >Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the

    files - 2
    > >files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
    > >print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
    > >I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does

    this
    > >sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
    > >the NEF of the shot available.
    > >

    > PE does that. You'd have to delete the NEF if you didn't want to keep
    > it. As PE is going to save the file as a different type it won't
    > affect the original. Of course you will find that the TIFF is going
    > to be considerably larger than the NEF.

    So I gather you'd recommend I take potentially great shots in RAW rather
    than highest JPEG, even if I don't own PS CS or Nikon Capture. I can use PE
    (which I own) for now to fix them up and print them. I'll then save the
    fixed up photo in TIFF format. Some day I'll buy CS or NC and will use
    these for manipulation (on the RAW files). Does that sound like a good
    plan?

    Also I don't use picture perfect to get the files onto my computer. I just
    find the camera drive and cut and paste them into a new folder. Any
    downside of this?

    Thanks for your help!

    larrylook, Jul 9, 2004
  7. larrylook

    MikeS Guest

    "larrylook" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files -

    2
    > files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
    > print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
    > I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does

    this
    > sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
    > the NEF of the shot available.
    > Larry,

    That's a good idea then you have the equivalent of master negatives that
    has all the original information for you to manipulate when you can afford
    to get the expensive programs mentioned. In the mean time you are
    maximiseing your spending power on priorities, and at the same time you can
    still process files in Elements.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 10, 2004
  8. larrylook

    MikeS Guest

    "larrylook" <> wrote in message

    >> Snipped the lot saves reading thought stuff we have read before:)

    Larry,
    Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have Nikon
    Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera as
    that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
    reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the pictures
    into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 10, 2004
  9. larrylook

    Don F Guest

    "MikeS" <> wrote in message

    > Larry,
    > Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have Nikon
    > Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera

    as
    > that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
    > reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the pictures
    > into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
    > MikeS

    -----------------
    NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS Elements.
    I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon View
    is available as a free download.
    Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS Elements.
    Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
    [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 10, 2004
  10. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > "MikeS" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Larry,
    > > Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have

    Nikon
    > > Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera

    > as
    > > that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
    > > reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the

    pictures
    > > into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
    > > MikeS
    > >

    > -----------------
    > NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS Elements.
    > I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon

    View
    > is available as a free download.
    > Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS

    Elements.
    > Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
    > [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
    > Don F

    To my surprise nef files loaded into ps elements with no trouble. I don't
    think I did anything at all with plug-ins. I did install picture project
    onto my computer, but didn't see anything while intalling it regarding
    plug-ins. I was surprised when nef files loaded into elements with no
    problem. Anyone else experience this here? As stated about, I am planning
    to shoot in nef, edit in elements, save as tiff files. Some day I'll buy PS
    CS or Nikon Capture to use the nef files.

    BTW the drain on the battery issue isn't a problem for me. I bought the
    Digital Concepts battery for $25, and rotate the batteries. See:
    http://tinyurl.com/3yagy

    larrylook, Jul 10, 2004
  11. larrylook

    Don F Guest

    "larrylook" <> wrote in message

    -----------------
    > "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > > NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS

    Elements.
    > > I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon

    > View
    > > is available as a free download.
    > > Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS

    > Elements.
    > > Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
    > > [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
    > > Don F

    ---------------------
    <snip>
    > To my surprise nef files loaded into ps elements with no trouble. I don't
    > think I did anything at all with plug-ins. I did install picture project
    > onto my computer, but didn't see anything while intalling it regarding
    > plug-ins. I was surprised when nef files loaded into elements with no
    > problem. Anyone else experience this here? As stated about, I am

    planning
    > to shoot in nef, edit in elements, save as tiff files. Some day I'll buy

    PS
    > CS or Nikon Capture to use the nef files.

    -------------------
    The plug-in loading is transparent. If you had tried loading a NEF file
    (in Elements) before installation of Picture Perfect, you would have gotten
    an unsupported file error message.
    Also, I removed PS from my computer and re-installed it while Nikon View
    remained installed. PS gave me the "unsupported file" error message as in
    my initial load try. I had to manually copy the plug-ins to my PS plug-in
    directory. I guess both Nikon View and Picture Perfect look to see if you
    have software which requires the plug-ins and magically places them where
    they belong.
    You did answer my question. I guess Picture Perfect provides the NEF
    plug-in as well as Nikon View.
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 10, 2004
  12. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > "larrylook" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > -----------------
    > > "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > > > NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS

    > Elements.
    > > > I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but

    Nikon
    > > View
    > > > is available as a free download.
    > > > Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS

    > > Elements.
    > > > Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
    > > > [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
    > > > Don F

    > ---------------------
    > <snip>
    > > To my surprise nef files loaded into ps elements with no trouble. I

    don't
    > > think I did anything at all with plug-ins. I did install picture

    project
    > > onto my computer, but didn't see anything while intalling it regarding
    > > plug-ins. I was surprised when nef files loaded into elements with no
    > > problem. Anyone else experience this here? As stated about, I am

    > planning
    > > to shoot in nef, edit in elements, save as tiff files. Some day I'll

    buy
    > PS
    > > CS or Nikon Capture to use the nef files.

    > -------------------
    > The plug-in loading is transparent. If you had tried loading a NEF file
    > (in Elements) before installation of Picture Perfect, you would have

    gotten
    > an unsupported file error message.
    > Also, I removed PS from my computer and re-installed it while Nikon View
    > remained installed. PS gave me the "unsupported file" error message as in
    > my initial load try. I had to manually copy the plug-ins to my PS plug-in
    > directory. I guess both Nikon View and Picture Perfect look to see if you
    > have software which requires the plug-ins and magically places them where
    > they belong.
    > You did answer my question. I guess Picture Perfect provides the NEF
    > plug-in as well as Nikon View.
    > Don F

    Yes, I think your absolutely right. The plug-ins must have intalled without
    my knowledge and without any action. As you know I have PP not NV.

    larrylook, Jul 10, 2004
  13. larrylook

    larrylook Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in message
    > "MikeS" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Larry,
    > > Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have

    Nikon
    > > Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera

    > as
    > > that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
    > > reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the

    pictures
    > > into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
    > > MikeS
    > >

    > -----------------
    > NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS Elements.
    > I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon

    View
    > is available as a free download.
    > Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS

    Elements.
    > Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
    > [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?

    I don't have NV, but it seem PP is pretty awful. I like to crop all
    pictures to standard sizes. Fool around with contast, brightness etc. I
    often print with a drop shadow for my photo album. Actually Adobe
    Photodeluxe is the first program for photo editing I tried, and I use it the
    most, since I can navigate it quickly. I plan to shoot in raw, open in
    Elements, save to tiff, open in photodeluxe, modify, create drop shadow,
    print,then put in photo album. A bit complex, but then I have the raw file
    if needed.

    larrylook, Jul 10, 2004
  14. On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:04:17 GMT, "MikeS" <>
    wrote:

    >"larrylook" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Snipped the lot saves reading thought stuff we have read before:)

    >Larry,
    >Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have Nikon

    The camera comes with both here in the states.

    Roger Halstead, Jul 12, 2004