Nikon D70 questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Allison, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Bob Allison

    Bob Allison Guest

    I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my Epson-3000
    I bought in 2001.

    I have a question (first of many I'm sure)

    1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is this
    normal?

    I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off until
    I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    TIA for advise

    bob

    --
    Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

    Bob
    in Carmel, CA

    Bob Allison, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Bob Allison

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 11 Aug 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Bob Allison wrote:

    > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
    > this normal?

    Yes. The picture count shows unless there's no battery in the camera.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Bob Allison

    wavelength Guest

    Yes this is normal. And a highly desired and bitched about feature if
    it is left off of a DSLR I gather. (often)

    wavelength, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Bob Allison wrote:

    > I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my
    > Epson-3000 I bought in 2001.

    You'll love the D70 since it's a great camera. The only problem you will
    have is getting addicted to buying an assortment of lenses and an SB800
    flash.

    > I have a question (first of many I'm sure)
    >
    > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
    > this normal?

    Yes.

    > I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
    > until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
    wondering if it will ever run out.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Bob Allison

    Bob Allison Guest

    In article <Xns96AFC0FFCBB53makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.167>,
    Joe Makowiec <> wrote:

    > > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
    > > this normal?

    > Yes. The picture count shows unless there's no battery in the camera.

    Thanks ,Joe, I will sleep easier now.

    bob

    Bob Allison, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Bob Allison

    Bob Allison Guest

    In article <>,
    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    > > I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
    > > until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    > Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
    > wondering if it will ever run out.

    You've been reading my mind. That was one of my battery questions. The
    other is:
    Should I wait until the battery is almost empty to recharge it (as in the
    case of Ni Cad) or can I just top it off (as in NiMH)?

    Thanks again

    bob

    Bob Allison, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Bob Allison

    Ben Brugman Guest

    Also the viewfinder stays 'on'.
    (If the battery is removed the viewfinder becomes a bit darker).
    I read somewhere 'off' is 2 ma.
    On (with the meter and display off) is 3 ma.

    So you actually do not have to switch of to conserve power.
    Pressing the release button halfway switches of the display and
    that is a way of conserving power.

    have fun with your new 'toy'.

    ben brugman

    Ben Brugman, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Bob Allison

    frederick Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > Bob Allison wrote:

    >>I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
    >>until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    > Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
    > wondering if it will ever run out.

    It's so long that I end up forgetting about it completely for days or
    weeks. However, when the first little bit of the battery icon goes,
    then it goes down quite rapidly until dead. A spare battery is quite
    essential. I've had no problems with a cheap aftermarket one. One
    spare seems enough - they recharge very quickly.

    frederick, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Bob Allison wrote:

    > You've been reading my mind. That was one of my battery questions.
    > The other is:
    > Should I wait until the battery is almost empty to recharge it (as in
    > the case of Ni Cad) or can I just top it off (as in NiMH)?

    Like anything else there are two different schools of thought on this.
    Personally, I use mine till it runs out and put another in. Having a spare
    battery is great if you're shooting something important and want to be 100%
    sure you'll have battery if needed. Then again, you can just charge the one
    in the camera before your planned shoot and not worry about it.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Bob Allison

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:45:19 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Bob Allison
    <> wrote:

    >I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my Epson-3000
    >I bought in 2001.

    Enjoy!

    >1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is this
    >normal?

    As others have said, yes, it's normal.

    >I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off until
    >I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    Also, do yourself a favor and read the manual to get a glimpse of what is
    covered there. Also go to the Nikon tech support site and download a pdf
    copy of the manual, so you can search by keywords, very helpful. If looking
    for something more consider Thom Hogan's A Complete Guide to the Nikon D70.
    ebook.

    I'd echo the spare battery recommendations. A good supplier in the US is
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com They last quite a while, but always nice
    to have a spare handy. Being Li-ion there's no self discharge like NiMh, so
    the spare is always ready to go.

    Have fun!
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Aug 12, 2005
  11. Bob Allison

    Ed Lowe Guest

    "Bob Allison" <> wrote in message
    >I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my Epson-3000
    > I bought in 2001.
    >
    > I have a question (first of many I'm sure)
    >
    > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is this
    > normal?
    >
    > I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off until
    > I have a chance to find answers on the web.
    >
    > TIA for advise
    >
    > bob
    >
    > --
    > Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.
    >
    > Bob
    > in Carmel, CA

    Did you receive an owner's manual with your camera? If not, you can find one
    here:
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    The answer to your question, and many others, can be found in the manual.

    Ed Lowe, Aug 12, 2005
  12. Bob Allison

    Mike Warren Guest

    Bob Allison wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
    >>> until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    >> Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and
    >> still be wondering if it will ever run out.

    > You've been reading my mind. That was one of my battery questions.
    > The other is:
    > Should I wait until the battery is almost empty to recharge it (as in
    > the case of Ni Cad) or can I just top it off (as in NiMH)?

    Li-Ion batteries can be recharged at any point during the discharge cycle
    as they don't suffer from memory effect.

    There is a slight improvement to battery life if you don't top them up
    too often. Heat is a significant contributor to lowering Li-Ion life and
    they heat up when charged.

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 12, 2005
  13. Bob Allison

    frederick Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per frederick:
    >
    >>I've had no problems with a cheap aftermarket one.

    > Got a brand name?

    MaximalPower brand.
    1300mAh (original is 1400mAh)
    States "Cells Made in Japan"
    Googled up a website:
    http://www.maximalpower.com/xcart68/home.php

    frederick, Aug 12, 2005
  14. Per frederick:

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 12, 2005
  15. Bob Allison

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:45:22 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "(PeteCresswell)"
    <> wrote:

    >Per frederick:
    >>I've had no problems with a cheap aftermarket one.

    >Got a brand name?

    I picked up a couple 1500 mAh TA ENEL-3 compatibles from
    Thomas_Distributiing. No problems in over a year
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Aug 12, 2005
  16. Bob Allison

    Andy Clews Guest

    Thus spake "Rita Ä Berkowitz" unto the assembled multitudes:
    > Bob Allison wrote:

    >> I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
    >> until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

    > Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
    > wondering if it will ever run out.

    I second that. My old Fuji Finepix 2800 eats batteries, but the D70 seems
    to go on forever.

    --
    Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
    (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

    Andy Clews, Aug 12, 2005
  17. Bob Allison

    Eager Guest

    Over the past year, I've ordered three Nikon-brand batteries for my d70
    from this place:

    <http://www.tangshop.com/nikon-en-el3-battery.html>

    $20 plus a flat $4 shipping fee no matter how many you order, and each
    battery has performed fine. As I said, they're real Nikon brand.

    (Why did I need three additional batteries? I charged all four for
    traveling for a week or more...left the charger home.)

    -=-Joe

    Eager, Aug 12, 2005
  18. Bob Allison

    lars Guest

    Ben Brugman wrote:
    > Also the viewfinder stays 'on'.
    > (If the battery is removed the viewfinder becomes a bit darker).
    > I read somewhere 'off' is 2 ma.
    > On (with the meter and display off) is 3 ma.
    >
    > So you actually do not have to switch of to conserve power.
    > Pressing the release button halfway switches of the display and
    > that is a way of conserving power.

    On my D70, pressing the release halfway turns the metering and its
    viewfinder display on, not off - is that what you meant to say? The
    function which conserves power is the timeout which turns the metering
    off when there has been no half press or shot taken for some period of
    time...

    Lars

    lars, Aug 16, 2005
  19. Bob Allison

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:08:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital lars
    <> wrote:

    >Ben Brugman wrote:
    >> Also the viewfinder stays 'on'.
    >> (If the battery is removed the viewfinder becomes a bit darker).
    >> I read somewhere 'off' is 2 ma.
    >> On (with the meter and display off) is 3 ma.
    >>
    >> So you actually do not have to switch of to conserve power.
    >> Pressing the release button halfway switches of the display and
    >> that is a way of conserving power.
    >>

    >On my D70, pressing the release halfway turns the metering and its
    >viewfinder display on, not off - is that what you meant to say? The
    >function which conserves power is the timeout which turns the metering
    >off when there has been no half press or shot taken for some period of
    >time...

    I believe he was referring to the post shot review. The easy way to turn
    off the review if you have enable the review feature is to half pres again.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Aug 16, 2005
  20. Bob Allison

    Ben Brugman Guest

    "lars" <> schreef in bericht news:LGkMe.121205$...
    > Ben Brugman wrote:
    > > Also the viewfinder stays 'on'.
    > > (If the battery is removed the viewfinder becomes a bit darker).
    > > I read somewhere 'off' is 2 ma.
    > > On (with the meter and display off) is 3 ma.
    > >
    > > So you actually do not have to switch of to conserve power.
    > > Pressing the release button halfway switches of the display and
    > > that is a way of conserving power.
    > >

    > On my D70, pressing the release halfway turns the metering and its
    > viewfinder display on, not off - is that what you meant to say? The
    > function which conserves power is the timeout which turns the metering
    > off when there has been no half press or shot taken for some period of
    > time...

    Confusion

    If you pres the release halfway, the camera goes into picture taking
    mode, this is metering ON, viewfinder info display ON, but the color
    display OFF. (And after 8 seconds (default) it turns metering OFF)
    The camera is still on but most things are turned off.
    (This is a good power save mode.)

    The display I was refering to was the color display, when ON this is
    consuming a lot of power, pressing the release halfway turns this
    display OFF.

    When the camera is turned OFF but there is still a functioning
    battery in the camera the following functions keep working.
    1. The clock in the camera. (This keeps even working after the battery
    is removed but only for several weeks).
    2. The display, showing the number of pictures left.
    3. The viewfinder stays clear and the auto focus points are visible.

    (Taking out the battery numbers 2 and 3 stop functioning. Numbers 2
    and three take about 2 mA I read somewhere)
    (Leaving the camera on takes 3 mA I read somewhere).

    So pressing the release halfway is a good way to stop the color display
    working and after a few seconds the camera goes to the power saving
    standby mode.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    ben

    Ben Brugman, Aug 19, 2005