    Also, is there a way to change the settings on the D70 so that the
    simultaneous RAW + JPG setting chooses a JPG quality higher than "basic"?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Xtx99, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Xtx99

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 25 Sep 2004 18:02:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Xtx99)
    wrote:

    >Nikon D70 Question: RAW + Basic JPG Mode
    >
    > I'm in the process of switching over from my old 35 mm. SLR to the Nikon
    >D70 (I haven't bought it yet). I have Adobe Photoshop CS and the current Nikon
    >Capture software. I have NO experience in converting and rendering Nikon's RAW
    >files to TIFF, Photoshop or JPEG files. I would prefer to shoot in the
    >simultaneous RAW + Basic JPG mode and want to immediately begin printing out
    >the basic JPGs in 4" x 6"s while I learn to play around with the RAW files.

    Why? I would think you can just convert them using the camera settings as
    recorded and still get a much better print. I may be wrong, as I've only
    have my D70 a few days, but on my 990/5700 I wouldn't ever think of
    bothering with Basic quality.

    > Will the JPGs made in the simultaneous RAW + basic JPEG mode pretty much
    >look like the RAW files before editing OR will they be sufficiently sharp
    >enough for printing out until I learn more about the RAW workflow process?

    They are "highly compressed" as such, no you've lost much information.
    Either convert using the stored settings or just shoot high jpeg to start
    would be my two suggested options. yes, if you shoot jpeg you can't ever go
    back, but you don't have to post process. That's what I'm doing as a start,
    FWIW.

    > Also, is there a way to change the settings on the D70 so that the
    >simultaneous RAW + JPG setting chooses a JPG quality higher than "basic"?

    Not as I read the info in the manual.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Xtx99

    Dick Muldoon Guest

    I suspect you'll end up shooting raw only. The PS Camera Raw
    plugin gives you much finer control of exposure, levels, and
    blackpoint than PS itself. I find it *easier* to get what I want
    with camera raw than starting and staying in CS with jpegs
    (which is why I no longer bother shooting jpegs).

    I don't think there is a way to change the "RAW + basic" setting,
    but once you start working with the 12-bit color raw files, I think
    you'll end up not caring :)

    dick

    Dick Muldoon, Sep 25, 2004
  4. According to DPreview.com, the RAW + JPEG mode only captures a basic JPEG.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page27.asp

    (Look at "Conclusions--Cons".)

    I assume you have Nikon Capture 4. If not, get it--it will allow you to
    "batch convert" RAWs to JPEGs--that is, you can put all your RAWs in a
    folder and have it create JPEGs of them all in one sweep, so you won't have
    to convert them one at a time. What I do, I first move the RAW files to a
    folder that says "IN, RAWs." I then batch-process that folder which makes
    JPEGs in another folder entitled "OUT, JPEGs." I set it to **NOT** delete
    the RAWs after processing. After processing I then **move** these RAW files
    to another folder I call "NEF(RAW)s," which I where I keep all RAW files
    which have already been processed, in case I need them again. Then of course
    I move the JPEGs into whatever folder(s) I normally keep all my other JPEGs.
    (I own a Coolpix 5700 by the way, which can shoot RAWs but not RAW+JPEG.)

    If you're worried you may accidentally delete the RAW files in the "In, RAW"
    folder before you've archived or processed them, you could instead make
    copies of them to the "NEFs(RAW)" folder BEFORE you "batch process" them.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Okay, silly me--I now see where you wrote plain as day you do have the
    current Nikon Capture software. Good, that's a good start. You will
    definitely find the "batch processing" tool EXTREMELY handy.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Xtx99

    Gadgets Guest

    Careful when using the supplied PictureProj. software that comes with the
    D70, it's intended as an upgrade to Nikon View and will screw with Nikon
    Capture...
    "Please observe caution when using PictureProject in combination with Nikon
    Capture. An error will occur when RAW images edited in PictureProject are
    later opened in Nikon Capture 3 version 3.5.2 or earlier, or Nikon Capture 4
    version 4.0. If PictureProject and Nikon Capture will be used together,
    please upgrade Nikon Capture 3 to version 3.5.3 or Nikon Capture 4 to
    version 4.1 or later. "

    Nikon software:
    http://tinyurl.com/5zj7r

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
    Gadgets, Sep 26, 2004
  7. Xtx99

    larrylook Guest

    "Xtx99" <> wrote in message
    > Nikon D70 Question: RAW + Basic JPG Mode
    >
    > I'm in the process of switching over from my old 35 mm. SLR to the

    Nikon
    > D70 (I haven't bought it yet). I have Adobe Photoshop CS and the current

    Nikon
    > Capture software. I have NO experience in converting and rendering

    Nikon's RAW
    > files to TIFF, Photoshop or JPEG files. I would prefer to shoot in the
    > simultaneous RAW + Basic JPG mode and want to immediately begin printing

    out
    > the basic JPGs in 4" x 6"s while I learn to play around with the RAW

    files.
    > Will the JPGs made in the simultaneous RAW + basic JPEG mode pretty

    much
    > look like the RAW files before editing OR will they be sufficiently sharp
    > enough for printing out until I learn more about the RAW workflow process?
    > Also, is there a way to change the settings on the D70 so that the
    > simultaneous RAW + JPG setting chooses a JPG quality higher than "basic"?

    You can only set it for basic with RAW not fine with RAW. The basic should
    be fine for 4x6 and may do ok for 5x7 too. The RAW will be there for future
    use so it will be on your computer when you become an expert. Or just set
    it to "JPEG high" (without raw) for the first month you own it and learn to
    use RAW later. The JPEG high pictures will be great and I don't think
    you'll be unhappy with them. Are you an amateur takin pictures of flowers
    in the park and family at the carnival - or an upscale wedding photographer?
    There are some advantages to shooting JPEG especially for casual stuff and
    your hard drive will last *much* longer.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

    larrylook, Sep 26, 2004
  8. Xtx99

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:39:04 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Larry R Harrison
    Jr" <> wrote:

    >Okay, silly me--I now see where you wrote plain as day you do have the
    >current Nikon Capture software. Good, that's a good start. You will
    >definitely find the "batch processing" tool EXTREMELY handy.

    Except you attributed the original questions to me, not the OP.
    Ed Ruf, Sep 26, 2004