    Any thoughts on the advantages of one over the other? Also, has anyone
    heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will be? I understand it will
    be launched in October. Is it better to wait or just jump into the D70?

    Cary D., Sep 23, 2004

  2. "Cary D." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have been planning on purchasing the Nikon D70 for the past several
    > months. I already have many Nikon lenses. Recently, I learned of
    > Fujifilm's planned launch of the Finepix S3 Pro.
    >
    > Any thoughts on the advantages of one over the other? Also, has anyone
    > heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will be? I understand it will
    > be launched in October. Is it better to wait or just jump into the D70?

    If you can wait, wait and see what the S3 images look like. If they're as
    good as Fuji says they are, and the S3 comes in maybe slightly higher than
    the D70, then go for the S3. If the rumors of a $3000 price tag for the S3
    are true, give it a pass and go for the D70, unless you can wait a few
    months more and look at the D100 replacement.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 23, 2004

  3. "Cary D." <> wrote in message
    > I have been planning on purchasing the Nikon D70 for the past several
    > months. I already have many Nikon lenses. Recently, I learned of
    > Fujifilm's planned launch of the Finepix S3 Pro.
    >
    > Any thoughts on the advantages of one over the other? Also, has anyone
    > heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will be? I understand it will
    > be launched in October. Is it better to wait or just jump into the D70?

    D70. Nikon did a _great_ job on that camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Cary D.

    GTO Guest

    Do you need a DSLR soon? If yes, get the D70. The D70 is a fine camera. If
    not and you have $3000+, keep an eye on the FUJI S3 Pro. The 14-bit
    technology sounds extremely promising. Especially since FUJI claims that one
    can simulate the behavior of their Velvia film (and others). If that's true
    then the FUJI's contrast range outperforms any 12-bit DSLR, which is
    currently offered (including 1Ds MII and D2X).

    Gregor

    GTO, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Cary D.

    [BnH] Guest

    Does this interest you ? =)

    Dpreview.com :
    "For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode has
    been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images without
    the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior to a
    normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as well
    as effective capture of candid image"

    =bob=

    [BnH], Sep 23, 2004
  6. Cary D.

    BG250 Guest

    If the claimed huge improvement in dynamic range is true, the S3 would be
    the way to go. Digital can use better dynamic range. A test of Fuji's
    compact camera with sensor that has the large and small cells for improved
    dynamic range didn't show any better dynamic range than another camera it
    was compared to.

    Fuji has been using strong marketing to sell cameras, Like calling the S3 a
    12 MP camera. It does have that many pixels due to the large and small cells
    in a single pixel, however, the camera produces 6MP files. Typical of these
    cameras, Anything larger is interpreted and looks soft. Fuji needs to turn
    down the volume on their marketing and stop with the many half truths.

    I would at least wait for the full test.
    bg

    BG250, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Cary D.

    Chuck Guest

    just gor for the 20D

    Chuck, Sep 23, 2004
  8. [BnH] wrote:
    > Does this interest you ? =)
    >
    > Dpreview.com :
    > "For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode has
    > been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images without
    > the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior to a
    > normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as well
    > as effective capture of candid image"

    Frame, yes; check color, yes; focus, NO. The LCD on a camera is no
    substitute for the viewfinder. Interesting feature, though. Of course I
    have it on my E20, but haven't used it much.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 23, 2004
  9. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > [BnH] wrote:
    > > Does this interest you ? =)
    > >
    > > Dpreview.com :
    > > "For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode

    has
    > > been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images

    without
    > > the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior to

    > > normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as

    well
    > > as effective capture of candid image"

    > Frame, yes; check color, yes; focus, NO. The LCD on a camera is no
    > substitute for the viewfinder. Interesting feature, though. Of course I
    > have it on my E20, but haven't used it much.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I could see where this would be a useful feature. (in the studio) but can
    you just imagine the batteries you'd go through without an external power
    source????

    Not Dick Daley, Sep 23, 2004
  10. Cary D.

    ;o\)-max- Guest

    "Cary D."
    > I have been planning on purchasing the Nikon D70 for the past several
    > months. I already have many Nikon lenses. Recently, I learned of
    > Fujifilm's planned launch of the Finepix S3 Pro.
    > Any thoughts on the advantages of one over the other? Also, has anyone
    > heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will be? I understand it will
    > be launched in October. Is it better to wait or just jump into the D70?

    Some features on the D70, like 1/500 x-sync is nice if you need it
    forget the S3, if not wait and see, we have great expectations so
    lets see if Fuji delivers the improved image quality they claim, that would
    be nice, though I had hoped for better kamera specs, hmm.. ;o)-max-

    ;o\)-max-, Sep 24, 2004
  11. "Not Dick Daley" <> wrote in message

    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > [BnH] wrote:
    > > > Does this interest you ? =)
    > > >
    > > > Dpreview.com :
    > > > "For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode

    > has
    > > > been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images

    > without
    > > > the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior

    > > > normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as

    > well
    > > > as effective capture of candid image"

    > > Frame, yes; check color, yes; focus, NO. The LCD on a camera is no
    > > substitute for the viewfinder. Interesting feature, though. Of course I
    > > have it on my E20, but haven't used it much.
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier

    > I could see where this would be a useful feature. (in the studio) but can
    > you just imagine the batteries you'd go through without an external power
    > source????

    I'm not sure how useful the live image mode actually is since it's for
    display only, you can't trigger the shutter release in this mode.
    Additionally, the viewfinder is blacked out because the mirror is up and the
    shutter is open.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 24, 2004