    Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
    better?
    What you think? Thanks.

    Andrew, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Andrew

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you don't need the vertical battery grip, then the D70 is better.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Andrew

    [BnH] Guest

    Get the D70.
    My friend that have used the D1x ,D100 and D70 .. now streamlining his gear
    and keep D1x and D70 only.

    They are cheaper but performed nearly the same [excluding battery grip and
    alloy body :)]

    =bob=

    [BnH], Oct 24, 2004
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I'm a casual user, not pro. But I'd like to use my other Nikon lenses,
    both AF and AI type. Should I get the kit lense to go with it?

    What CF cards should I get? Fry's has the regular yellow Lexar 1GB
    CF card for $50 after rebate. Is that too slow? Or I need the 40x card?
    Thanks.

    Andrew, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Andrew

    larrylook Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a casual user, not pro. But I'd like to use my other Nikon lenses,
    > both AF and AI type. Should I get the kit lense to go with it?
    >
    > What CF cards should I get? Fry's has the regular yellow Lexar 1GB
    > CF card for $50 after rebate. Is that too slow? Or I need the 40x card?
    > Thanks.

    Concensus seems to me that if you do a lot of very rapid shooting that
    overruns the camera buffer, it's nice to have a fast card (lexar 40x or 80x,
    or sandisk ultra 2). Also such cards are coming down in price rapidly (in a
    few years they'll pay you to take them). Check out Buy.com, I got the
    sandisk ulttra 2 (1gb size) from them. Another argument for the fast cards,
    is versatility for future devices, that you may not be thinking about now.
    Don't forget the cards will shoot many more pictures than the camera
    indicates they will. It's a well known fact.

    larrylook, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Andrew

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at both of them, still can not decide. Should newer always the
    > better?
    > What you think? Thanks.

    Newer is not always better, but the D70 is a better value than the D100.
    Actually, the D70 is a D100 with a lighter body, but some of the menu items
    have been disabled and some of the buttons removed. There are hacks
    available to reactivate the dead menu items, but they could void your
    warranty.

    C J Campbell, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Then why D100 still sells very well?

    From what I've heard, people favor D70 over D100....

    Andrew, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Andrew

    Tom Scales Guest

    I have both and prefer the D70.

    I am unaware of any missing menu items or hacks for the D70. Are you
    thinking of the Canon 300D?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Andrew

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > I have both and prefer the D70.
    >
    > I am unaware of any missing menu items or hacks for the D70. Are you
    > thinking of the Canon 300D?

    You know what? I think I was.

    C J Campbell, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Andrew

    Gadgets Guest

    D100 is a bit more solid and heavier, has a couple of extra high ISO (noise)
    settings, custom curves etc. For most people's needs, I think you'd be
    better off with a D70 and more money for a lens... D70 colour accuracy and
    shutter lag beat the D100.

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 24, 2004
  11. Andrew

    Nita Guest

    I have decided as soon as I can afford it I'm buying a D70 because
    everything I've heard it sounds like the best camera for the $. In talking
    to sales people at the camera I heard that the D100 is being discontinued
    and a D200 will be coming out soon to replace it with a hefty price tag.
    Has any one heard about this? Why would they discontinue the D100 if it is
    all that?

    Nita, Oct 24, 2004
  12. I don't know whether the D70 is the "best," but it takes very good pictures.
    I'm pleased with it.
    Dennis D. Carter

    Dennis D. Carter, Oct 24, 2004
  13. "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote:

    >D100 is a bit more solid and heavier, has a couple of extra high ISO (noise)
    >settings, custom curves etc. For most people's needs, I think you'd be
    >better off with a D70 and more money for a lens... D70 colour accuracy and
    >shutter lag beat the D100.

    You can use custom curves with the D70 as well. But you need Nikon
    Capture to load them to the camera.

    Peter

    Peter Rongsted, Oct 25, 2004
  14. Andrew

    gsum Guest

    The big advantage of the D100 is that it is built like a tank - I have
    landed on mine a couple of times whilst mountain biking with no damage,
    at least not to the camera. D70 and D100 image quality etc. is identical.

    Expect a 12 to 14mp D200 for about 1200UKP early next year -
    just an educated guess.

    Graham

    gsum, Oct 25, 2004