    shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
    and then start changing the ISO...etc

    Will

    Will, Oct 11, 2004

  2. I don't shoot images of the football team but I do go to shoot images of my
    son marching in the band.
    I think that it is harder the shoot images of the band than the football
    team.
    Continuous movement for about 10-15 minutes.
    The blur comes from camera shake. You can't hold the camera still long
    enough to eliminate the shakes.
    You need a tripod or a monopod.
    It is essential for shake (blur) free images.
    Don't get a cheap one either.
    I will usually shoot images using the "P" mode.
    You also need to set the D70 in the AFS continuous/ closest subject mode.
    I will also enable the flash when shooting in this mode.
    Shots are more focused with flash "up" than down.
    Even though the flash won't reach the players on the field.
    But if I am shooting images without field lights, the flash will not be on.
    I have the same camera with a Nikkor 28-200 mm lens and it works great.
    I still have a lot to learn but I am trying.
    Go to www.dpreview.com and the are some great images of a Virginia H.S.
    football team taken with the D70.
    Be sure to go into the D70 forum.
    Take sample images for practice and if you can take some scrimmage shots.
    You will also have to watch which area in the view finder that the camera
    is trying to focus in on.
    I really enjoy using the D70.
    Such a fabulous camera.
    I have to go.

    Charles Eaves, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Will

    Jim Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
    > Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
    > beautifully. I could not ask for more.
    >
    > At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
    > but all action shots are blurred.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
    > not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
    > shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
    > and then start changing the ISO...etc

    You might find that the P, S, or A modes would give better results. Also,
    use a tripod (with a good solid head) and also make sure that the shutter
    speed is high enough.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Will

    Will Guest

    Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
    different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
    with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.
    Will

    Will, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Will

    Crownfield Guest

    Will wrote:

    > Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
    > different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
    > with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.

    what you need to do is to understand
    how a camera stops motion,
    and how the camera setting change that.

    look at your camera manual.

    basic camera 101

    Crownfield, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Will

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:05:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Will
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
    >not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
    >shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
    >and then start changing the ISO...etc

    Change the ISO to something a lot higher than 200. Start at say 800, turn
    the camera to shutter priority mode and try shutter speeds around 1/200 or
    1/250 as a start. If too dark you can decrease exposure time slightly
    checking when you hit motion blur. Otherwise keep upping the ISO.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Will

    You know who Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > I am shooting night High School Football games and using the Sport
    > Digital Vari-program modeon my Nikon D70. In the day this mode works
    > beautifully. I could not ask for more.
    >
    > At night, I might get a set shot where there is little or no movement,
    > but all action shots are blurred.
    >
    > Can anyone help with this? I know it is a lighting problem. I just do
    > not know what adjustments I need to make to catch full action football
    > shots. Do I move out of the Sport Vari-program and into something else
    > and then start changing the ISO...etc

    Use a tripod and tell the team to hold still.

    Or...

    Put ISO as high as possible and set shutter priority for 1/640 of a second.
    If the pictures are underexposed or too grainy try this setup: Canon MkII at
    ISO 1600 with a EF 200mm f/1.8 with Tv set for 1/640.

    You know who, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Will

    You know who Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all. I will move out of the Sport mode and start trying
    > different settings that let more light. Glen suggested ISO 400 to 800
    > with aperture priority 3.4 or 4. I'll start here and then move on.
    > Will

    Not aperture priority. It's most important to stop the action. You need
    shutter priority set to at least 1/400 of a second.

    You know who, Oct 12, 2004