    Cheers
    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Andy Flowers

    paul Guest

    Andy Flowers wrote:

    > Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    > answer on Google Groups)
    >
    > Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >
    > What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    > switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation
    >
    > Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
    > levers to do it.

    It should work just fine in A or S mode. Green & P will want to do a
    bunch of other junk. Autofocus won't work unless it's close up. Best
    results at low ISO and enable noise correction in the menus which takes
    a second exposure with the shutter closed (assuming you are talking
    about tripod work). If no tripod, bump the ISO up & use S mode at 80 to
    125 to hand hold but you'll get more noise. Exposure compensation is not
    available in green mode. It's the +/- button near the shutter; spin the
    main dial while pressing.

    Here's one hand held tracking with maybe shutter 1/15sec (took many
    attempts):
    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-13-night>
    I just shot manual after some trials to see what worked.

    paul, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers Guest

    In message <>, paul <>
    writes
    >Andy Flowers wrote:
    >
    >> Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find
    >>the answer on Google Groups)
    >> Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >> What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the
    >>flash switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation
    >> Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs
    >>and levers to do it.

    >It should work just fine in A or S mode. Green & P will want to do a
    >bunch of other junk. Autofocus won't work unless it's close up. Best
    >results at low ISO and enable noise correction in the menus which takes
    >a second exposure with the shutter closed (assuming you are talking
    >about tripod work). If no tripod, bump the ISO up & use S mode at 80 to
    >125 to hand hold but you'll get more noise. Exposure compensation is
    >not available in green mode. It's the +/- button near the shutter; spin
    >the main dial while pressing.

    Many thanks for the reply.

    Just tried this (in A and S mode)

    The flash immediately pops up when you press the button - but there's no
    option to switch it off.

    Is there another button to switch off the flash (or have I got a later,
    non/flash switchy offy version)?

    Cheers
    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Andy Flowers

    paul Guest

    Andy Flowers wrote:

    > In message <>, paul <>
    > writes
    >
    >> Andy Flowers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find
    >>> the answer on Google Groups)
    >>> Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >>> What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the
    >>> flash switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation
    >>> Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs
    >>> and levers to do it.

    >> It should work just fine in A or S mode. Green & P will want to do a
    >> bunch of other junk. Autofocus won't work unless it's close up. Best
    >> results at low ISO and enable noise correction in the menus which
    >> takes a second exposure with the shutter closed (assuming you are
    >> talking about tripod work). If no tripod, bump the ISO up & use S mode
    >> at 80 to 125 to hand hold but you'll get more noise. Exposure
    >> compensation is not available in green mode. It's the +/- button near
    >> the shutter; spin the main dial while pressing.

    > Many thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Just tried this (in A and S mode)
    >
    > The flash immediately pops up when you press the button - but there's no
    > option to switch it off.
    >
    > Is there another button to switch off the flash (or have I got a later,
    > non/flash switchy offy version)?

    Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
    on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
    that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

    paul, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Andy Flowers

    C J Campbell Guest

    > Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    > answer on Google Groups)
    >
    > Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >
    > What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    > switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

    Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
    in auto mode.

    C J Campbell, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers Guest

    >Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
    >on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
    >that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

    I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?

    Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
    different one.

    Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
    able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
    exposure compensation at the same time.

    Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.
    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers Guest

    In message <>, C J Campbell
    <> writes

    >"Andy Flowers" <> wrote in message
    >> Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    >> answer on Google Groups)
    >>
    >> Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >>
    >> What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    >> switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

    >Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
    >in auto mode.

    Probably the most helpful reply so far - many thanks.

    The flash doesn't pop up automatically, and exposure compensation is
    available (as you said).

    Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
    has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

    There must be a setting that lets me

    a) switch off the flash

    b) use exposure compensation

    c) choose the aperture

    The three above are surely absolutely essential for night photography

    I'll be very surprised if the D70 doesn't allow them all together

    I'm sure I've used even digital compacts that have allowed me to do
    that.

    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Andy Flowers

    C J Campbell Guest

    > Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
    > has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.
    >
    > There must be a setting that lets me
    >
    > a) switch off the flash
    >
    > b) use exposure compensation
    >
    > c) choose the aperture

    Then you want to use A mode. The flash will not pop up automatically. The
    camera will remain at whatever aperture you set. It will adjust the shutter
    speed accordingly. If you have the ISO setting set at auto, it will increase
    your ISO, so turn that off if you don't want a high ISO. You might also
    experiment with automatic noise reduction for long exposures, another menu
    item.

    C J Campbell, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Andy Flowers

    paul Guest

    Andy Flowers wrote:

    > There must be a setting that lets me
    >
    > a) switch off the flash
    >
    > b) use exposure compensation
    >
    > c) choose the aperture

    'A' mode does this (aperture priority). I'm sure that even if they've
    changed the deault settings, you can make it perform this way.

    paul, Feb 1, 2005
  10. Andy Flowers

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Andy Flowers wrote:

    > In message <>, C J Campbell

    >>Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
    >>in auto mode.

    > Probably the most helpful reply so far - many thanks.
    >
    > The flash doesn't pop up automatically, and exposure compensation is
    > available (as you said).
    >
    > Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
    > has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

    Put the camera in 'M' mode.. (Full manual) You can dial whatever aperture or
    shutter speed you want.

    Doesn't your manual tell you what the camera does in each mode ??

    Jim Townsend, Feb 1, 2005
  11. Andy Flowers

    Sheldon Guest

    > Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    > answer on Google Groups)
    >
    > Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >
    > What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    > switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation
    >
    > Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
    > levers to do it.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > --
    > Andy Flowers

    I have a D70

    The flash should not automatically pop up in any mode except Auto and some
    of the specialty modes. Flash will not pop up automatically in PSAorM. If
    you set the dial to night landscapes it turns the flash off, and if you want
    to use Automatic you can turn the flash off by pushing the flash button
    (just forward of the mode dial) and turning the dial where your thumb is
    until you see the no flash symbol in the display on top of the camera.

    Night scenes are always tough with any camera, so just experiment and take a
    lot of shots. At least you don't have to pay for film or processing.

    Sheldon, Feb 1, 2005
  12. On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:18:22 +0000, Andy Flowers
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>, C J Campbell
    ><> writes
    >>
    >>"Andy Flowers" <> wrote in message
    >>> Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    >>> answer on Google Groups)
    >>>
    >>> Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >>>
    >>> What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    >>> switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

    >>Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
    >>in auto mode.

    >Probably the most helpful reply so far - many thanks.
    >
    >The flash doesn't pop up automatically, and exposure compensation is
    >available (as you said).
    >
    >Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
    >has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.
    >
    >There must be a setting that lets me
    >
    >a) switch off the flash
    >
    >b) use exposure compensation
    >
    >c) choose the aperture

    Aperture priority "A" mode does exactly that.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    "We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
    __ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, Feb 1, 2005
  13. Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers Guest

    In message <>, C J Campbell
    <> writes

    >"Andy Flowers" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
    >> has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.
    >>
    >> There must be a setting that lets me
    >>
    >> a) switch off the flash
    >>
    >> b) use exposure compensation
    >>
    >> c) choose the aperture
    >>

    >Then you want to use A mode. The flash will not pop up automatically. The
    >camera will remain at whatever aperture you set. It will adjust the shutter
    >speed accordingly. If you have the ISO setting set at auto, it will increase
    >your ISO, so turn that off if you don't want a high ISO. You might also
    >experiment with automatic noise reduction for long exposures, another menu
    >item.

    Spot -on!

    Excellent reply

    Can now use it for what I bought it for - many many thanks!

    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Feb 1, 2005
  14. Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers Guest

    In message <>, Sheldon
    <> writes

    >"Andy Flowers" <> wrote in message
    >> Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
    >> answer on Google Groups)
    >>
    >> Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera
    >>
    >> What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
    >> switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation
    >>
    >> Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
    >> levers to do it.
    >>
    >> Any help much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> --
    >> Andy Flowers

    >I have a D70
    >
    >The flash should not automatically pop up in any mode except Auto and some
    >of the specialty modes. Flash will not pop up automatically in PSAorM. If
    >you set the dial to night landscapes it turns the flash off, and if you want
    >to use Automatic you can turn the flash off by pushing the flash button
    >(just forward of the mode dial) and turning the dial where your thumb is
    >until you see the no flash symbol in the display on top of the camera.
    >
    >Night scenes are always tough with any camera, so just experiment and take a
    >lot of shots. At least you don't have to pay for film or processing.

    Many thanks for your reply - apparently A mode does everything I want
    (other posters have confirmed this)

    manual didn't make it clear

    I've been taking night photos for over 25 years now and have had many
    published (I'm a railway photographer and journalist)

    I was just a bit frustrated that the manual didn't appear to give me the
    option I've enjoyed with other cameras.

    Previously been using Pentax 645, Contax and a variety of 5MP compact
    digitals.

    I've found that digital has given very good results and I'm looking
    forward to using the D70 for some work.

    Cheers
    --
    Andy Flowers

    Andy Flowers, Feb 1, 2005
  15. Andy Flowers

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:01:10 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Andy Flowers
    <> wrote:

    >manual didn't make it clear
    >
    >I've been taking night photos for over 25 years now and have had many
    >published (I'm a railway photographer and journalist)
    >
    >I was just a bit frustrated that the manual didn't appear to give me the
    >option I've enjoyed with other cameras.

    Coming into this a bit late.

    From p 97:

    1 Rotate the mode dial to the desired setting
    ( 10). If AUTO, , , or mode is selected,
    proceed to Step 4 ( 98). i-TTL Balanced Fill-
    Flash for Digital SLR will be selected, and the
    built-in Speedlight will pop-up automatically
    when required.

    Note then on P98:
    In P,S,A,M none of the flash choices have auto in them. If you want the
    flash in these situations just raise it manually by pressing the flash
    button. Otherwise it is off. In the Auto or other Scene modes the flash is
    auto and should be denoted as shown if you hold the flash button down on
    the top lcd.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Feb 1, 2005
  16. On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:09:39 +0000, Andy Flowers
    <> wrote:

    >>Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
    >>on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
    >>that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

    >I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?
    >
    >Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
    >different one.
    >
    >Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
    >able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
    >exposure compensation at the same time.
    >
    >Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.

    Just to re-confirm what others have said:

    In 'Auto' mode (and all the 'green' modes), the flash pops-up as required.

    In 'P'rogram mode (and 'A', 'S' modes), it will _suggest_ when to use the
    flash (**), but YOU need to pop-it up to use it. If the flash is already
    popped-up (because you _were_ in Auto mode), then you need to push it back
    down again to disable it (or, I think, press the flash button and spin one
    of the command dials).

    (**) It flashes/lights the zig-zag sign in the viewfinder. You can disable
    this recommendation with one of the custom menu settings.

    Regards,

    Graham Holden, Feb 1, 2005
  17. Andy Flowers

    i-ball Guest

    > >Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
    > >on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
    > >that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

    > I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?
    >
    > Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
    > different one.
    >
    > Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
    > able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
    > exposure compensation at the same time.
    >
    > Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.
    > --
    > Andy Flowers

    I think you need to read the manual.

    i-ball, Feb 1, 2005
  18. Andy Flowers

    Guest Guest

    All you needed to do was read the manual. I'm brand new to all this and I
    knew how to do what you asked, all from reading the manual. Why I would need
    to do it is another issue.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2005