Nikon D70: Histogram

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BBFoto, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. BBFoto

    BBFoto Guest

    I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    unless I missed something.

    Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    have no idea what to adjust.

    Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?

    Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    about D70 histograms?

    Any help would be appreciated. My pics aren't bad, but if I could pep
    them up a little, I wouldn't mind.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    BBFoto

    BBFoto, Mar 4, 2005

  2. BBFoto

    Jim Guest

    "BBFoto" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    > unless I missed something.
    >
    > Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    > following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    > have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    > have no idea what to adjust.

    This condition in the histogram indicates that your photos are underexposed.
    So, do what one usually does to correct underexposure.

    > Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    > manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?
    >
    > Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    > about D70 histograms?

    D70 histograms are just like all others. A histogram shows the distribution
    of the light levels in a photograph.

    > Any help would be appreciated. My pics aren't bad, but if I could pep
    > them up a little, I wouldn't mind.

    Better exposure would help with the photos.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 4, 2005

  3. On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:53:34 GMT, BBFoto <> wrote:

    >I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    >unless I missed something.
    >
    >Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    >following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    >have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    >have no idea what to adjust.
    >
    >Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    >manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?
    >
    >Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    >about D70 histograms?

    Start with a more general overview of histograms.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

    There are several book specifically on the D70 and histograms but
    don't know if they are any good.

    Just google. "D70 histograms"

    "Daddy Daddy. It was just like you said
    Now that the living outnumber the dead.
    Where I come from it's a long thin thread
    Across an ocean. Down a river of red.
    Now that the living outnumber the dead. I'm one of many."

    "Speak My Language"
    Laurie Anderson from
    "Bright Red"

    John A. Stovall, Mar 4, 2005
  4. BBFoto

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    BBFoto <> wrote:

    > I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info, unless
    > I missed something.
    >
    > Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    > following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should have
    > all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I have no
    > idea what to adjust.
    >
    > Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    > manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?
    >
    > Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    > about D70 histograms?

    It's not specific to the D70, but the topic of histograms isn't specific
    to D70s, either:

    <http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/histogram.html>

    > Any help would be appreciated. My pics aren't bad, but if I could pep
    > them up a little, I wouldn't mind.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    The left-to-right axis of the histogram shows you dark to bright. The
    vertical axis shows you amount. So if your picture has lots of bright
    pixels, it'll show a spike on the right side. If your picture is dark or
    low-key, the spike will be on the left side. You can guess what would
    put the spike in the middle.

    If you want a dark picture, then a spike on the left side isn't a
    problem. Shoot for the image, not the histogram.

    (The obvious exception to this is the expose-right technique, which
    might require post-processing.)

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 4, 2005
  5. BBFoto

    Terry W Guest

    Try here:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/digital/histogram_101/index.html

    Terry W, Mar 5, 2005
  6. BBFoto <> writes:

    > I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    > unless I missed something.
    >
    > Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    > following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    > have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    > have no idea what to adjust.

    What I'm giving here is generic information, not specific to the D70;
    I don't have a D70 (I have a Fuji S2). But histograms mean the same
    thing on every camera and most bitmap editing programs I've looked at
    them on.

    The x axis (bottom) of the histogram goes from darkest at the left to
    lightest at the right. The y axis of the histogram is a count of
    pixels at that brightness; the more pixels, the higher the line.

    All the spikes on the left for a normal scene means severe
    underexposure. (For a very dark low-key scene it might mean mild
    underexposure or even correct exposure, perhaps.) That is, the
    histogram doesn't make artistic decisions, it merely summarizes the
    information captured in a way many of us find useful. *You* then use
    that information to make artistic decisions.

    The histogram display in Photoshop or other editing programs is also a
    very useful thing to learn how to work with.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 5, 2005
  7. BBFoto

    larrylook Guest

    "BBFoto" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    > unless I missed something.
    >
    > Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    > following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    > have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    > have no idea what to adjust.
    >
    > Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    > manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?
    >
    > Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    > about D70 histograms?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. My pics aren't bad, but if I could pep
    > them up a little, I wouldn't mind.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > BBFoto

    Also I advise you try the setting where blown highlights are shown - just to
    learn little.

    If histogram is weighted to the L (dark) but you like the picture dark)
    leave it alone. If the picture looks dark you can set exposure compensation
    to +1 (or what ever number you choose). Some say the D70 underexposes some
    to avoid blown highlights - but you can adjust for this if you like.

    larrylook, Mar 5, 2005
  8. BBFoto wrote:

    > I just bought a D70. I have read the manual but I need more info,
    > unless I missed something.
    >
    > Until I got this camera I didn't know what a histogram was. But from
    > following comments on this NG, I get the impression that it should
    > have all the spikes near the middle. All of mine are on the left. I
    > have no idea what to adjust.
    >
    > Question 1: Is everything I need to know about D70 histograms in the
    > manual and I'm just missing it or don't understand it?
    >
    > Question 2: If not, could someone direct me to a source of more info
    > about D70 histograms?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. My pics aren't bad, but if I could pep
    > them up a little, I wouldn't mind.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > BBFoto

    I don't have a D70, nor any familiarity with it. However, it is not
    true that a histogram should have all the spikes in the middle. Such an
    image would be a very low contrast image. If you want a foggy, low key
    image, fine. But if you want an Ansel Adams style image, you want a
    broad range- the histogram should have considerable amplitude everywhere
    from left to right. The position of the 'spikes' is not really
    important, it is the amount of the 'background'. That is, any spikes
    should grow out of 'high elevation terrain,' not spikes rising from a
    zero level. The later image would be a posterized image.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Mar 5, 2005
  9. BBFoto

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Mar 8, 2005