    separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
    advance.

    Maureen
    mobanded, Nov 18, 2006

  2. mobanded

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    mobanded wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
    > flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
    > the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a
    > separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > Maureen

    Send it in to Nikon as a warranty repair.

    Tell them that you rec'd it as a present from an ex-boyfriend last
    Christmas and you don't have the receipt.

    A separate flash is a good idea anyway.
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 18, 2006

  3. In article <>, Dan
    Sullivan <> wrote:

    > mobanded wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
    > > flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
    > > the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a
    > > separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
    > > advance.
    > >
    > > Maureen

    > Send it in to Nikon as a warranty repair.
    >
    > Tell them that you rec'd it as a present from an ex-boyfriend last
    > Christmas and you don't have the receipt.
    >
    > A separate flash is a good idea anyway.

    Last I looked, Nikon was a little more strict on proof-of-purchase than
    that.

    Unless you purchased it strictly as-is (not a good idea on eBay) you
    should immediately contact the seller about a return. This will likely
    not be a quick or cheap repair.

    IF the camera is in otherwise good condition, and IF you can get a
    quick estimate, you MAY want to allow the seller to pay for the repair
    - in advance. It's unlikely he'll agree to that, though.

    Just find another D70.

    As far as an external flash, you're going to want one eventually - the
    internal flash is very convenient but rather weak. But to get the
    "right" flash for the camera you're going to spend three figures - and
    you weren't planning on that right now, were you?
    Scott Schuckert, Nov 18, 2006
  4. mobanded

    Roger (K8RI) Guest

    On 18 Nov 2006 08:33:59 -0800, "mobanded"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
    >flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
    >the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a

    Go to your local camera shop and ask.

    I had one of the very early D-70s and the flash failed within a couple
    of weeks. A few months later it didn't want to focus at infinity, and
    this spring it developed a strange idiosyncrasy where the light would
    flash continuously when you turned it on instead of just cycling. All
    were fixed for free but under warranty and through the camera shop
    where I purchased it. Of course most of this was for the privilege of
    being one of the early purchasers.

    It took less than two weeks to get the flash repaired. The camera was
    confused and even though the flash was up it kept telling me to put it
    up.

    >separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
    >advance.

    That little flash is surprisingly efficient. It's one of the self
    metered units that flashes, meters, and flashes again. People only
    see one flash. Cats see the first and close their eyes.

    I do often use a separate flash, but I do have to remember the
    settings and it sometimes takes me a couple of shots to get it right.
    I have one of the old, large, Vivitar 285s that has enough power for
    slow film shots the full length of a basket ball court.. It also has
    enough off set to eliminate a lot of "red eye" in people or green,
    gold, or blue eye in cats, but not all cases.

    >Maureen

    I would try to get things fixed through e-bay if possible.
    The built in flash is handy, but not essential. OTOH if it doesn't
    work you are going to need to replace it with something and a good
    flash is probably going to run a couple hundred dollars.

    If you do purchase a separate flash for the D-70 make sure it is one
    that is designed to work with solid state switching.

    Good Luck,

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com
    Roger (K8RI), Nov 20, 2006