    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Don F
    Don F, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Don F

    John Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in message
    news:lGZFc.561$4Z3.217@lakeread02...
    > The Nikon firmware update installation FAQ warns the user not to use a
    > Lexar jumpshot card reader. I have used the Lexar jumpshot card reader
    > with
    > absolutely no problem for years.
    > The transfer of the update file takes place *outside* of the camera. If
    > the update file is in the root directory (verified) of the CF card as
    > required, what difference does it make how it got there? Formatting take
    > place inside the camera ... data is data. Does the jumpshot driver alter
    > the card in any way?
    > I can't think of a possible reason for not using the jumpshot but I am
    > sure Nikon didn't issue this warning just to be difficult. I don't want
    > buy a card reader just for an occasional update when the one I have is
    > trouble free.
    > Any ideas?
    > TIA
    > Don F

    Not sure why Nikon would specify this, but is there a reason you DON'T want
    to follow the instructions as printed (i.e., copy the files to the CF card
    while mounted IN the camera, then do the upgrade from there)? Seems to me
    that is easier than transferring the files to the card in the card reader,
    THEN mounting the card in the camera, etc.

    - John

    PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I copied
    both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the camera
    would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side at
    all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing the
    update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which was
    successful.
    John, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Don F

    {STP} Guest

    In article <GS%Fc.6466$>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > If I copied
    > both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time,

    The instructions tell you not to do this.

    {STP}
    {STP}, Jul 5, 2004
  4. "John" <> wrote in message

    > PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I

    copied
    > both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the camera
    > would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side at
    > all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing

    the
    > update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which

    was
    > successful.

    Actually, if you go to Nikons web page explaining how to do the update, it
    specifically says to transfer one-at-a-time and do each seperately. I
    followed the
    on-line instructions and the update worked fine.

    Marc
    Private Person, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Hi,

    Before you do the install, check out the D70 forum on dpreview.com. (do a
    search under firmware) It seems that a few people "fried" their cameras, by
    turning off the camera when the LCD said Done, but the camera top LCD said
    PG UP (progress updating?). It seems the back LCD "done" shows up too
    early and you can make the camera inoperable if you jump the gun.

    to make matters worse, depending on the country, it seems that it may or may
    not be under warrenty?

    Nanthan chang, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Don F

    John Guest

    "Private Person" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> PS - I did the upgrade yesterday and ran into a slight glitch. If I

    > copied
    >> both the A and B firmware updates to the card at the same time, the
    >> camera
    >> would only see the B update and never offer to let me update the A side
    >> at
    >> all. I eventually wound up copying only the A update first, performing

    > the
    >> update, then copying only the B update and performing the update, which

    > was
    >> successful.
    >>

    > Actually, if you go to Nikons web page explaining how to do the update, it
    > specifically says to transfer one-at-a-time and do each seperately. I
    > followed the
    > on-line instructions and the update worked fine.
    >
    > Marc

    You are so right! I swear I read through the instructions SEVERAL times and
    completely missed this part (though it's in bold and repeated several
    times). Don't I feel dumb!

    - John
    John, Jul 5, 2004