    P.S. I searched archives and noticed that others had similar
    observations about color saturation but all of the suggestions involved
    post processing.

    Andy in Herndon, VA, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Bobsprit Guest

    It is almost like I need a color
    enhancing filter. This appears true of photos taken with flash>>

    You're seeing fairly accurate color rendition, compared to the pumped colors of
    consumer and prosumer units. You can set the D70 for VIVID more a more colorful
    effect. Some folks prefer this setting. Give it a try.

    RB

    Bobsprit, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Andy in Herndon, VA

    qt Guest

    Andy in Herndon, VA wrote:
    > I recently purchused a Nikon D70. So far I am in love with everything
    > but the color saturation of my pictures. It appears as if the colors
    > are flat (though perhaps accurate). It is almost like I need a color
    > enhancing filter. This appears true of photos taken with flash
    > (built-in and SB-800). Without having to enhance every photo on my
    > computer are the some suggested camera setting changes? Changes to WB?
    > Would a color enhancing filter be the answer? Is there a way to
    > increase contrast on the camera? Can anyone suggest a location on the
    > web to find more info?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > P.S. I searched archives and noticed that others had similar
    > observations about color saturation but all of the suggestions involved
    > post processing.

    "post processing" reminds me of my old days of film photo.
    I could do much more nowadays with my D70 using software than filters.
    qt

    qt, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Andy in Herndon, VA

    bmoag Guest

    When I first got my D70 I was surprised at how little in camera adjustment
    is made to the images at default settings. I was put off at first but now
    consider this feature a wise move on the part of Nikon engineers and would
    not want it any other way.

    This is a high end camera and not a P&S. Digital is really going to deepen
    the chasm between those who want traditional style hands-off photofinishing
    and those who want the control of image making/printing they could never get
    with wet processes.

    bmoag, Dec 27, 2004
  5. "Andy in Herndon, VA" <> writes:

    > P.S. I searched archives and noticed that others had similar
    > observations about color saturation but all of the suggestions involved
    > post processing.

    Maybe its covered in the manual; see pages 56, 59, and 60. (Uh, in the En
    manual; others check Table of Contents for Optimizing Images.)

    Phil Stripling, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Andy in Herndon, VA

    freehand Guest

    Not sure what part of the world you are in but setting the D70 to cloudy
    instead of daylight gets better results here in Europe. Appears Japanese
    daylight is a hint warmer than the rest of the world!!;-)

    freehand, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Nick Beard Guest

    Go to Shooting menu, then scroll down to Optimise Image sub menu, then go to
    Custom. In here you can adjust Contrast, Sharpening Colour Mode and the one
    you may find handy, Colour saturation. I have mine set to high on most
    settings to give that 'punch' you may be seeking.

    Nick Beard, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Did you get any reply to this inquiry because I am having the same
    problem. My old 5mp Sondy DSC-F717 gives me much better color and the
    pictures are much crisper. What am I doning wrong?

    PhotographicMemories, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Did you get any reply to this inquiry because I am having the same

    PhotographicMemories, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Did you get any reply to this inquiry because I am having the same

    PhotographicMemories, Jan 23, 2005
  11. Andy in Herndon, VA

    paul Guest

    You can boost the color in the menu. I agree it's too bland for my taste
    on the default setting but it's real easy to change.

    paul, Jan 23, 2005
  12. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Rose_ Guest

    This is ironic because I had the *opposite* problem last weekend when I
    saw a beautiful sunset and shot it with the D70 at "enhanced" Level
    III, the most saturated possible. What I got doesn't resemble the
    original at all in terms of color and I can't desaturate it properly in
    Photoshop. Here it is:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~onepageweb/jpegs/sunset.JPG
    I have ordered Nikon Capture 4.1, will that help?

    Thanks, Rosemary

    Rose_, Jan 23, 2005
  13. Andy in Herndon, VA

    paul Guest

    Rose_ wrote:

    > This is ironic because I had the *opposite* problem last weekend when I
    > saw a beautiful sunset and shot it with the D70 at "enhanced" Level
    > III, the most saturated possible. What I got doesn't resemble the
    > original at all in terms of color and I can't desaturate it properly in
    > Photoshop. Here it is:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~onepageweb/jpegs/sunset.JPG
    > I have ordered Nikon Capture 4.1, will that help?

    Hmm, that doesn't look oversaturated but maybe it's not the color you
    wanted. This is certainly a case where RAW would have given you more to
    work with. It is very quick to press the QUAL button & spin the dial for
    a particular shot you think might have special needs. I've begun
    shooting RAW & noticed the colors always come out a muddy brown using
    the Auto WB. They are easily corrected in photoshop (well not super easy
    but plenty of room to adjust anything). RAW has 15 bits instead of 8
    bits so there is a lot more color to work with.

    I'm not clear how to get the enhanced color to come out of the RAW
    though, I'm using (I think) the Nikon Capture plugin with photoshop & it
    only allows me to change the WB to several presets and brighten/darken
    the exposure. All the other camera filters ought to be in there though
    the plugin seems to lose them. Using Capture directly also does not use
    those filter defaults though you can adjust a bunch of stuff, I prefer
    doing that in PS.

    paul, Jan 23, 2005
  14. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Rose_ Guest

    Thanks but I guess I should have explained that I shot it in RAW + JPEG
    and the color is just as inaccurate in RAW/NEF (the original was a
    beautiful but more subtle sky blue).
    I guess I will try the Capture I ordered and see if it helps.

    Rose_, Jan 23, 2005
  15. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 13:35:26 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Rose_"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks but I guess I should have explained that I shot it in RAW + JPEG
    >and the color is just as inaccurate in RAW/NEF (the original was a
    >beautiful but more subtle sky blue).

    How are you processing the raw file? By default most/all raw converters
    will show/process with the camera settings as taken unless you change them.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jan 23, 2005
  16. Andy in Herndon, VA

    adm Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not clear how to get the enhanced color to come out of the RAW though,
    > I'm using (I think) the Nikon Capture plugin with photoshop & it only
    > allows me to change the WB to several presets and brighten/darken the
    > exposure.

    You are NOT using the correct plugin. It sounds like you have let the Nikon
    software install its own plug-in. If you replace it with the Adobe Camera
    RAW plug for Photoshop, you will get access to a lot more parameters,
    including:

    Colour Temp
    Tint
    Exposure
    Shadows
    Brightness
    Contrast
    Saturation

    (And that's just from the first tab of parameters. There's also "detail",
    "lens" and "calibration" tabs.

    Along with Colourspace, Depth, Size and Resolution controls.....

    If you don't see all these options, you're using the wrong plug in for
    Photoshop.....

    adm, Jan 23, 2005
  17. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Rose_ Guest

    I Installed Nikon View as a plugin to my Photoshop 6. It opens okay
    but I can't do anything with the color to make it look more natural,
    meaning the way it really looked. I really don't recommend this
    setting III (enhanced) personally, there doesn't seem to be a way to
    lessen its effect afterward unless Capture will do it.

    Thanks R

    Rose_, Jan 24, 2005
  18. Andy in Herndon, VA

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 23 Jan 2005 20:44:06 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Rose_"
    <> wrote:

    >I Installed Nikon View as a plugin to my Photoshop 6. It opens okay
    >but I can't do anything with the color to make it look more natural,
    >meaning the way it really looked. I really don't recommend this
    >setting III (enhanced) personally, there doesn't seem to be a way to
    >lessen its effect afterward unless Capture will do it.

    Capture does have an Advanced Raw adjustment with Saturation as the
    variable. settings are unchanged, modest normal and enhanced. Have no idea
    if this will work for you. If you care to post or mail me the image, I'll
    give it a try.

    Ed Ruf, Jan 24, 2005