    I'm considering buying it used for cheap. I know it's a slow AF, but
    it's apparently fairly sharp. It's an old lens, this one right here:

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/400_56.htm

    bayydogg, Aug 1, 2004

  2. (bayydogg) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anybody know if these two items are compatible? If you're using
    > this combination, let me know if there is anything strange about it.
    > I'm considering buying it used for cheap. I know it's a slow AF, but
    > it's apparently fairly sharp. It's an old lens, this one right here:
    >
    > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/400_56.htm

    If it's used and cheap, what else is there to say? New, I'd get a new
    Sigma EX model, as they are unmatched in build and optical quality.
    The 80-400 EX OS, the 50-500 EX, the 120-300 EX, the 100-300 EX, the
    300mm EX, the 300-800 EX, and the 800mm EX all come to mind as "none
    better" lenses.

    Georgette Preddy, Aug 1, 2004

  3. In article <>, Georgette
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > If it's used and cheap, what else is there to say? New, I'd get a new
    > Sigma EX model, as they are unmatched in build and optical quality.
    > The 80-400 EX OS, the 50-500 EX, the 120-300 EX, the 100-300 EX, the
    > 300mm EX, the 300-800 EX, and the 800mm EX all come to mind as "none
    > better" lenses.

    They're unmatched for sure. Nobody makes 'em crappier than Sigma.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 1, 2004
  4. In article <a9bPc.476$>, Mike Mc
    <> wrote:

    > Thats possibly the most purile and stupid post I've ever read. Its just
    > 'Preddy bashing' for the sake of it. You may not personally like Sigma but
    > it's ridiculous to make the above statement when some of their products
    > receive rave reviews in the photographic media. For example their recently
    > released macro lenses.
    >
    > Please try to be objective rather than getting into a feeding frenzy about a
    > Preddy post.

    I don't give a shit what reviewers say about Sigma. I've been doing
    photography for 38 years and have seen enough Sigma products to know
    what they produce. It's cheap junk that's marketed to cheapskate
    amateurs.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 1, 2004
  5. bayydogg

    Mike Mc Guest

    > They're unmatched for sure. Nobody makes 'em crappier than Sigma.

    Thats possibly the most purile and stupid post I've ever read. Its just
    'Preddy bashing' for the sake of it. You may not personally like Sigma but
    it's ridiculous to make the above statement when some of their products
    receive rave reviews in the photographic media. For example their recently
    released macro lenses.

    Please try to be objective rather than getting into a feeding frenzy about a
    Preddy post.

    (BTW, I don't have any Sigma kit so I don't have an axe to grind either way)

    Regards

    Mike

    Mike Mc, Aug 1, 2004
  6. bayydogg

    Buster Guest

    However, to answer the original post; almost every AF Nikon mount lens
    will work with the D70. There are a few exceptions caused by physical
    incompatiblilty. Nikon will only tell you if their lenses fit, but the
    Sigma should function just fine. I will make no judgement on how good
    it is.
    Buster

    Buster, Aug 1, 2004
  7. bayydogg

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Here's a link for those who are considering their current lens stock with
    the D70:

    www.non-aol.com/D70/

    A this writing, there is one review of the Sigma 400mm f/5.6. Perhaps
    others can add to the data base.

    ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, Aug 1, 2004
  8. bayydogg

    vhl Guest

    Buster <> wrote:
    > However, to answer the original post; almost every AF Nikon mount lens
    > will work with the D70. There are a few exceptions caused by physical
    > incompatiblilty. Nikon will only tell you if their lenses fit, but the
    > Sigma should function just fine. I will make no judgement on how good
    > it is.

    I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
    and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
    from Tokina for $70 (USD).

    Vin.
    --
    Vin
    Melbourne, Australia

    vhl, Aug 2, 2004
  9. bayydogg

    paul Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:50:06 +0000, vhl wrote:

    > I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
    > and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
    > from Tokina for $70 (USD).
    >
    > Vin.

    My Tokina 400/5.6ATX works fine with the D70.
    Do you know what the issue is with this lens and the D100?

    Paul

    paul, Aug 3, 2004
  10. bayydogg

    vhl Guest

    paul <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:50:06 +0000, vhl wrote:

    >> I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
    >> and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
    >> from Tokina for $70 (USD).
    >>
    >> Vin.

    > My Tokina 400/5.6ATX works fine with the D70.
    > Do you know what the issue is with this lens and the D100?

    No, but when I tried the same lens on the D70, it worked.
    What happens is that every 1/3 times you try click the
    shutter, you get '--' on the aperture reading meaning that
    it doesnt detect the lens. Reset the camera and it may or
    may not work. This lens was discontinued a while back but
    I believe that Tokina will rechip it.

    I was almost set to buy this lens after reading reviews,
    but didnt because of this problem. (and Im glad because
    about a week after I got a Nikkor 300/2.8 for a good price).

    Vin.

    vhl, Aug 4, 2004