Nikon D70 and Macro Rings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TycoonUK, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. TycoonUK

    TycoonUK Guest

    TycoonUK, Jul 12, 2005

  2. TycoonUK

    [BnH] Guest

    Goto Nikon website and look for SB-29s speedlight.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 12, 2005

  3. TycoonUK

    frederick Guest

    TycoonUK wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Where can I find information using macro rings on a D70.
    >
    > Thanks
    > TycoonUK
    > http://www.worldofmonopoly.co.uk

    I assume that you mean extension tubes.
    Old tubes that do not have the electrical contacts will not give you
    any metering on a D70.
    Unless someone makes extension tubes that connect the focus screw from
    the body through to the lens, then AF will not work (not that AF is very
    useful for macro anyway).
    Marumi make a set of Nikon mount, non-AF - but with the electrical
    contacts extension tubes that work fine. IIRC price may be around
    US$100 for a set of three.

    frederick, Jul 12, 2005
  4. TycoonUK

    Hans S Guest

    Hans S, Jul 12, 2005
  5. TycoonUK

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:24:50 GMT, in rec.photo.digital TycoonUK
    <> wrote:

    >Where can I find information using macro rings on a D70.

    What info are you looking for?
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jul 12, 2005
  6. TycoonUK

    Kitt Guest

    I assume, like the rest that you're talking about extension tubes, but
    on the off chance that you mean a set of close up lenses or dioptors, I
    got a set for the kit lens on ebay for around $50. In fact, they came
    from the UK and delivery was in good time here in the US, so your's
    should be even quicker. They work fine within their limits. I have
    another lens now and use them little, but they're handy to carry if you
    just take the kit lens for a walk and happen to see a macro subject.
    (They're pretty big, but will fit in a pocket.)

    Kitt, Jul 12, 2005
  7. TycoonUK

    TycoonUK Guest

    On 12 Jul 2005 08:35:52 GMT, "Hans S"
    <> wrote:

    >TycoonUK wrote:
    >
    >> Where can I find information using macro rings on a D70.

    >Do you mean extension tubes?
    >
    >(e.g. http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html)

    Hi,

    Yes I mean extension tubes.
    I got some from a friend of a friend and just would like some idea how
    to use them?
    I know how to put them together, but it is using them with the D70 I
    could do with help.

    Thanks

    TycoonUK

    TycoonUK, Jul 13, 2005
  8. TycoonUK

    Deedee Tee Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:04:02 GMT, TycoonUK
    <> wrote:

    >Yes I mean extension tubes.
    >I got some from a friend of a friend and just would like some idea how
    >to use them?
    >I know how to put them together, but it is using them with the D70 I
    >could do with help.

    That depends on whether the tubes you have possess the electrical
    transmissions for diaphragm and autofocus, and/or the screwdriver
    transmission for mechanical autofocus (the D70 has all these).

    In macro, autofocus is practically useless, so you should use manual
    focus anyway. If the tubes have no electric contacts to read the
    diaphragm opening, only manual exposure is possible with a D70. You
    can use an external meter and compensate for the length of the tubes
    (two stops for 1:1 ratio, I believe), but it is easier to make a
    couple of test shots before taking the "real" one and check the
    exposure with the histogram on the LCD screen of the D70.

    If you use flash (in manual mode), exposure will always be essentially
    the same for a given magnification ratio, diaphragm setting and flash
    power, so you could compile a table of these values and use it as an
    initial setting (and then compensate for very light or dark subjects).

    Deedee Tee, Jul 13, 2005