Nikon D70 and Hiking

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick Markovic, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon D70
    while hiking?

    Patrick Markovic, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Patrick Markovic

    Boch Guest

    Cover it with axle grease...

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH
    ________________
    A+TECH
    _________

    Boch, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Patrick Markovic

    C J Campbell Guest

    C J Campbell, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Patrick Markovic

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:02:38 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=279327&is=REG

    If you're going to recommend a "bag" and not a "strap" I would
    recommend an $8 insulated kids lunch bag from Walmart. What a find!
    Two little outer pockets for CF cards and filters, a top that expands
    for bottled water! The straps are long enough to wear as a backpack
    - I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii hiking and carrying my camera this way.

    But, that's just me. My friend bought a $99CAD camera bag for the
    same purpose

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Patrick Markovic

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:17:28 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Patrick
    Markovic <> wrote:

    >What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon D70
    >while hiking?

    For just the kit lens the LowePro PhotoRunner which I previously used
    for my CP-990 and 5700 is good.
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/photo_runner.html
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Mar 14, 2005
  6. Patrick Markovic

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:16:34 GMT,
    (TheNewsGuy(Mike)) wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:02:38 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=279327&is=REG

    >If you're going to recommend a "bag" and not a "strap" I would
    >recommend an $8 insulated kids lunch bag from Walmart. What a find!
    >Two little outer pockets for CF cards and filters, a top that expands
    >for bottled water! The straps are long enough to wear as a backpack
    >- I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii hiking and carrying my camera this way.
    >
    >But, that's just me. My friend bought a $99CAD camera bag for the
    >same purpose

    The lunch bag has the advantage of not being a theif-magnet too.

    Of course, you need to watch out for bears instead.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 14, 2005
  7. Patrick Markovic

    Sheldon Guest

    > What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon D70
    > while hiking?

    Any photo backpack or fannypack will work fine. One brand that keeps coming
    up is Lowepro. I've got their backpack, but I have a lot of lenses to carry
    as well. A fannypack is nice as you can have it in front of you when you
    need stuff, and then just sling it around back when you don't. And either
    way your arms are free. BTW, their backpacks will hold a tripod if your so
    inclined.

    For a real bargain, aside from the lunchbox, just about any inexpensive
    backpack will work, you just line the bottom and back with some dense foam.
    Especially if you are only going to carry the camera with one lens on it.
    Keep the camera around your neck where you can get to it easily, and then
    stash it in the pack when nothing is happening, or going to happen, or you
    need to do some serious climbing.

    Whatever you do try not to get a pack that has a camera brand on it in huge
    letters. It just screams, "Steal me!"

    Sheldon, Mar 14, 2005
  8. Patrick Markovic

    Guest

    > What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon

    D70
    > while hiking?

    I read that some people are using the CF-D100 case (the case for the
    D100) on the D70. See
    "http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=803&forum=DCForumID86&viewmode=all"

    This is the time to go to your local camera store and try it to see if
    it fits good enough for you.

    If the CF-D100 works for you, then it would be the best option for
    hiking, in terms of accessibility.
    "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007E80G/sanfrancisc0b-20/103-9826686-3471837?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1"

    It is really nice to have a case that the front opens up, while the
    rest of the case remains attached to the camera.

    The case for the D70 is a different type (camera must be fully removed)
    versus the "ever-ready" D100 case. Don't buy the CF-D70 case for the
    D70.

    , Mar 15, 2005
  9. Patrick Markovic

    Rush Bimbo Guest

    > What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon D70
    > while hiking?

    Spray it with WD-40 which will keep the moisture out of it and musquitoes
    away from it.

    Rush Bimbo, Mar 15, 2005
  10. My appreciation for all who have replied with suggestions. Last summer one
    member of our hiking group carried his camera with a harness that consisted
    of a neck strap and a strap around the waist. Seemed to work good for him
    and was thinking of something like that. Any comments about this kind of
    system?

    Patrick Markovic, Mar 15, 2005
  11. Patrick Markovic

    Guest

    Patrick Markovic wrote:

    > My appreciation for all who have replied with suggestions. Last

    summer one
    > member of our hiking group carried his camera with a harness that

    consisted
    > of a neck strap and a strap around the waist. Seemed to work good

    for him
    > and was thinking of something like that. Any comments about this

    kind of
    > system?

    This may be over-doing it for a lightweight digital SLR. With a heavier
    camera I can see the advantage of the waist or torso strap.

    I've seen these at "http://www.kinesisgear.com/h.html."

    For a good holster case that is inexpensive, look at the Tamrac Digital
    Zoom 4, see: "http://www.tamrac.com/5684.htm" . I bought one of these
    to carry a 20D while hiking. All I wanted was a smallish, padded,
    holster type case for the camera with one medium lens attached, not a
    large bag to carry multiple lenses, flash attachment, etc.

    Available at NewEgg for $22, see:
    "http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-997-711&depa=0"

    I really like the old-fashioned leather cases, where the front pops off
    but the camera remains attached to the rest of the case, and to the
    neck strap. I was disappointed that Canon didn't make one for the 20D
    (they have a very cool one for the G2, but the one for the 20D is junky
    vinyl).

    , Mar 15, 2005
  12. Patrick Markovic

    Frank ess Guest

    Patrick Markovic wrote:

    > My appreciation for all who have replied with suggestions. Last
    > summer one
    > member of our hiking group carried his camera with a harness that
    > consisted
    > of a neck strap and a strap around the waist. Seemed to work good for
    > him
    > and was thinking of something like that. Any comments about this kind
    > of
    > system?

    There is an apparatus called the "Dewitt Strap", consisting of an
    elastic belt that fastens with velcro® around the waist. A smaller,
    similar strap is attached to the belt and fits around a camera hung on
    your neck by its regular strap. Both parts of the Dewitt are flexible
    enough that the camera is easily raised for action, and sturdy enough it
    won't bounce around in transit.

    B&H or Adorama had them on closeout at $7.95, probably a little less
    than what you could make one for.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 15, 2005
  13. Patrick Markovic

    leo Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > "Patrick Markovic" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is the best (safest yet easily accessable) way to carry a Nikon D70
    >>while hiking?

    > Lowepro Street & Field series Toploader 70AW.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=279327&is=REG
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2A236BAA

    The Toploader 70AW is very good. The camera is ready at anytime. It fits
    Canon 20D + 300/4 IS very well. I added a 1.4x extender and now I need a
    bigger Toploader.

    leo, Mar 15, 2005