    suggestions or critiques. I don't think I'm bad, but I know I can certainly
    improve.

    Thanks.
    greg, Aug 4, 2004

  2. greg

    IMKen Guest

    You identified the camera, so what is the glass used?

    IMKen, Aug 4, 2004

  3. greg

    greg Guest

    Sorry, most racing shots would be the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8.

    A few (especially during the race start) were the Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    (at 400mm).

    The headshots were the kit lens (18-70mm f/3.5-4.5).

    greg, Aug 4, 2004
  4. greg

    Frank ess Guest

    greg wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I used my D70 for taking racing photos at last weekend's Molson Indy
    > Vancouver. I posted 88 of them here:
    >
    > http://www.canadianracing.com/images/2004/vancouver
    >
    > As this was my first time shooting digital at a race, I welcome any
    > suggestions or critiques. I don't think I'm bad, but I know I can
    > certainly improve.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thank you for the opportunity to see these photos. Very good record of
    your view of the event, including a few "critical moment" shots. I envy
    you your access and equipment.

    My comment, not really a criticism, has to do with the difficulty of
    compromise between portraying the actuality and conveying the essence.
    Your photos show what was there; not enough of them help us see "what it
    was like". By this I mean, most could have been set up, placing the car
    in some location and pulling the trigger. My perception of the event is
    usually enhanced by blurred backgrounds and illegible tire brands, even
    at the sacrifice (not *too* much) of some sharpness in the target.
    Otherwise I see objects, and I think process is the essence of racing.
    Some of each is good, I just prefer more of the one.

    I realize my attitude is no more "right" than any other; neither is it
    uncommon.

    Thanks again for letting me see some of what you saw.

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 4, 2004
  5. greg

    John © Guest

    After seeing these photos I have decided to get the D70, excellent photos,
    excellent colour, did you modify the images in photoshop or something as
    some look a little sharp.
    John ©, Aug 4, 2004
  6. can you add a SB25 flashgun to the D70 and other Nikkor AF Lenses ?

    Philip Parker, Aug 4, 2004
  7. greg

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Philip Parker <> wrote:

    > can you add a SB25 flashgun to the D70 and other Nikkor AF Lenses ?

    You can use the flash, but not with TTL metering.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 4, 2004
  8. greg

    Petr Guest

    I think those are great pics. I was there by the way, I live on the North
    Shore. I just got my D70 bout a month ago and did not have it up and running
    to use at the Indy but I wish I did.

    Petr, Aug 4, 2004
  9. ..
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I used my D70 for taking racing photos at last weekend's Molson Indy
    >> Vancouver. I posted 88 of them here:
    >>
    >> http://www.canadianracing.com/images/2004/vancouver
    >>
    >> As this was my first time shooting digital at a race, I welcome any
    >> suggestions or critiques. I don't think I'm bad, but I know I can

    > certainly
    >> improve.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Hi Greg,
    Great shots. I agree to some extent with the previous poster who
    commented about the blurred backgrounds to convey the speed and
    atmosphere.
    A friend and I had Super Photo Passes (basically purchased press access
    photographers passes) for the Toronto Molson Indy, and we both had the
    same conflict between shooting the weekend for documentary vs. shooting
    it for "Art" (for lack of a better term). The same goes for trying to
    frame a fast moving car vs. trying to capture the crowd of traffic
    bunching into a corner. You did a great job capturing the driver's
    faces inside their helmets - I particularly like the one of Bourdais
    with his glasses on.
    Anyway, having shot the Toronto Indy, I know how hard work it is to get
    great shots. We both hauled around heavy camera bags (try carrying a
    Nikkor 300f2.8 all weekend!!!) but the results of our shots are equally
    impressive as yours.
    Shooting while standing next to a pro that has an 8frame per second
    Nikon D2H just made me want to upgrade my D100 before next year's race!
    Colin Gladwish
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Colin Gladwish, Aug 4, 2004