Nikon D60, Canon XSi (450D), or Olympus E-420?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@gmail.com, Mar 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
    about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
    small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
    too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
    the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
    (450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
    quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
    XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
    type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
    sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
    standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
    30-120 mm?).

    The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
    smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
    other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

    If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
    zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

    Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
    noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    pictures at higher ISOs?

    Thanks for info.
    , Mar 9, 2008

  2. Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
    >about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
    >small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
    >too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
    >the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
    >(450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
    >quality among the above three?

    www.dpreview.com will give you all the details you want when it comes
    to dSLR image quality. But in short: They're all good.

    > They are all about the same size, with
    >XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
    >type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
    >sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
    >standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
    >30-120 mm?).

    The lens will have a bigger effect on he image quality than will the
    camera itself, especially if you get the average everything-in-one
    lens.

    >The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
    >smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
    >other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

    >If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
    >zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

    Smirk. The Canon 70-200mm f4 is widely regarded as being very sharp,
    but it's a telephoto and about $1000 so I suspect that you want
    something that's not quite the sharpest.

    >Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
    >noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    >approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    >Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    >pictures at higher ISOs?

    It certainly can make a significant difference.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Dick Bowman Guest

    wrote in news:a02a99af-bd03-4f91-9667-
    :

    > [... deleted ...] I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    > approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    > Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    > pictures at higher ISOs?
    >
    > [... deleted ...]

    The E-420 is not yet available, so it's hard to be certain.

    But for normal/practical use it's unlikely to be significantly worse. The
    more recent Olympus DSLRs have been a lot better than the older in this
    regard. The 4/3 sensor is a lot larger than the G7s.

    There are more significant things to base your decision on. I'd put lens
    quality high on my list - somewhere down the line you'll probably find you
    want more lenses, versatility is the point in DSLRs.
    Dick Bowman, Mar 10, 2008
  4. observed
    >Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
    >about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
    >small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
    >too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
    >the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
    >(450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
    >quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
    >XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
    >type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
    >sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
    >standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
    >30-120 mm?).
    >
    >The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
    >smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
    >other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?
    >
    >If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
    >zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?
    >
    >Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
    >noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    >approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    >Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    >pictures at higher ISOs?
    >
    >Thanks for info.

    Apart from wryly noting that the best picture quality is often a
    function of the photographer, rather than the camera, I'd refer you to

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

    ....where most of the cameras mentioned are dissected fairly.

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Gary Guest

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:20:47 -0000, <> wrote:

    > Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
    > about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
    > small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
    > too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
    > the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
    > (450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
    > quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
    > XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
    > type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
    > sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
    > standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
    > 30-120 mm?).

    You may be better off with one of the 'prosumer' compact camera. Check out
    those from Canon and Fuji

    > The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
    > smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
    > other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?

    My wife has the E410 which is Olympus's entry level DSLR. She finds it
    fantastic and is just the right size for her. The pictures are good, too..
    This camera takes both Compact Flash and Xd type cards. These are cheap
    and easy to obtain. You can improve write speeds by buying Sandisk Extreme
    type CF cards.

    > If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
    > zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?

    My wife's kit came with both 14-42MM and 40-150mm Zuiko lens. She also got
    a bag, lens adapter (for older Olympus lenses)and an introduction to the
    4/3rds system.

    > Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
    > noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    > approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    > Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    > pictures at higher ISOs?

    Noise control is quite good on some of the files I've seen from the
    camera. Shoot in RAW format, and you will have greater control via
    software.
    I'm a Nikon user (D50 and shortly D300), and I have enjoyed some aspects
    of my wife's camera, but it is a little small for me. Having said that, if
    I hadn't started collecting Nikon fit lenses, I may have beem tempted to
    give their E3 an outing..

    > Thanks for info.

    Hope it helps!
    --
    Gary
    Gary, Mar 10, 2008
  6. measekite Guest

    If you took a series of photos with each one of the cameras and printed them all to an 8x10 size I doubt if one would be any better in image quality than the other and you probably could not tell the difference except for certain characteristics once you learn what they are from each camera.

    There may be some differences in color but what you like is a matter of preference.

    That said I would give the most serious consideration to the Canon Xsi.&nbsp; Better specs than the Xti I do like the menu system of Canon best (very much like your G7) so if you like operating that you are a step ahead.&nbsp; Based on specifications I think the Canon is best.

    What it is missing is a swiveling LCD like what they have on the S5.&nbsp; Nobody seems to have this feature on a DSLR and I do not know why.

    Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi (450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of 30-120 mm?). The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments? If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos? Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and noises in P&amp;S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size). Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise pictures at higher ISOs? Thanks for info.
    measekite, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Trev Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > If you took a series of photos with each one of the cameras and
    > printed them all to an 8x10 size I doubt if one would be any better
    > in image quality than the other and you probably could not tell the
    > difference except for certain characteristics once you learn what
    > they are from each camera.
    >
    > There may be some differences in color but what you like is a matter
    > of preference.
    >
    > That said I would give the most serious consideration to the Canon
    > Xsi. Better specs than the Xti I do like the menu system of Canon
    > best (very much like your G7) so if you like operating that you are a
    > step ahead. Based on specifications I think the Canon is best.
    >
    > What it is missing is a swiveling LCD like what they have on the S5.
    > Nobody seems to have this feature on a DSLR and I do not know why.
    >
    > wrote:
    > Currently I have a Canon G7 and a Lumix FZ18. I have been thinking
    > about upgrading my camera to a DSLR (will be the first one). I have a
    > small hand, and a Canon 40D, Nikon D200, or Pentax K10D sizes is just
    > too big for my hand. I like the feels of entry level DSLRs, especially
    > the Olympus E-410. Now that the XTi (400D) is replaced with XSi
    > (450D), D40x with D60, and E-410 with E-420; what is the best picture
    > quality among the above three? They are all about the same size, with
    > XSi is the biggest in size. I am not planning to buy more than one
    > type of lens, and will use the camera for general purpose (no fast or
    > sport actions - mostly still photography). Thinking of having just the
    > standard zoom lens which come with the camera (35 mm equivalent of
    > 30-120 mm?).
    >
    > The plus about the E-420 is its small size (I believe it is the
    > smallest). The minuses are the 4/3 which has smaller sensor than the
    > other two, and it does not use SD card. Could someone comments?
    >
    > If you have to buy the lens separately (not as a kit), what specific
    > zoom lens among the three that will produce the sharpest photos?
    >
    > Finally, the reason of switching to DSLR is because of sensor size and
    > noises in P&S. I notice that E-420 with 4/3 system actually has
    > approx. 30% less sensor size (area) than the other two (APS-C size).
    > Does this make a lot of difference in terms of getting less noise
    > pictures at higher ISOs?
    >
    > Thanks for info.

    Sony do now, but Live view is new to DSLR's anyhow I would love a Dslr built
    like a compact Medium format(thinking the Rolleiflexc 3003 35 mm with the
    screen on top)

    --
    Trev
    You can always tell a Yorkshire man,