    explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    Thanks - Chris

    CHRIS KIDD, Apr 9, 2006

  2. CHRIS KIDD

    ace Guest

    in windows, you can go to the preview window and you have the option of
    rotating clockwise and counter clock wise.

    ace, Apr 9, 2006

  3. CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    > Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
    > out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
    > explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    > S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    Photoshop does this automatically, and I rather suspect that Elements
    can, too. Both are available for 30 day trials at the adobe site.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 9, 2006
  4. CHRIS KIDD

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "ace" <> wrote in message
    > in windows, you can go to the preview window and you have the option of
    > rotating clockwise and counter clock wise.

    Yes, we all know you can rotate an image, but that wasn't the op's question.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 9, 2006
  5. CHRIS KIDD

    jimbok Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 06:45:32 GMT, "CHRIS KIDD" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
    >out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
    >explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    >S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    There is really nothing to "sort out." Viewing/editing programs
    either have a 'rotate by EXIF flag orientation' feature programmed
    into them, or they do not. Many current viewers have that feature,
    some don't. If you are using a viewer that does not, then manual
    rotation will be required.

    --
    jimbok

    jimbok, Apr 9, 2006
  6. CHRIS KIDD

    Don Stauffer Guest

    CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    > Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
    > out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
    > explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    > S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?
    >
    > Thanks - Chris

    There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
    camera will record orientation.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 9, 2006
  7. On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    >> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
    >> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
    >> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    >> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    >There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
    >camera will record orientation.

    Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
    portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
    D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
    dumb to read and use the tag.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 9, 2006
  8. CHRIS KIDD

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    >>> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software
    >>> sorts
    >>> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in
    >>> windows
    >>> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    >>> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    >>There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
    >>camera will record orientation.

    > Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
    > portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
    > D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
    > dumb to read and use the tag.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    I think the question is: the same software fails to automatically rotate a
    D50 image but does rotate his Canon S50 images. This is disappointing
    insofar as it suggests this feature is not following some sort of standard.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 10, 2006
  9. CHRIS KIDD

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:48:49 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    >>> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
    >>> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
    >>> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
    >>> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

    >>There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
    >>camera will record orientation.

    > Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
    > portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
    > D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
    > dumb to read and use the tag.

    Dumb?

    Windows does what it was written to do at the point and time the code was
    written. A smart person would recognize that.

    RW+/-, Apr 10, 2006
  10. CHRIS KIDD

    Dan Guest

    RW+/- wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:48:49 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
    >>> camera will record orientation.

    >> Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
    >> portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
    >> D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
    >> dumb to read and use the tag.

    > Dumb?
    >
    > Windows does what it was written to do at the point and time the code was
    > written. A smart person would recognize that.

    Windows is dumb. Unlike Apple (i'm not mac user) who bring useful
    updates to their OS at regular intervals with features users need and
    want. Micro$oft bring out security patches that should have been fixed
    in the first place and no new features. Cause they don't care about you.
    Never did. XP is old and EXIF standard was available way before that.

    Thankfully there are alternatives. You can use Picasa for your image
    previews. RAW might be a problem but you might be able to find RAW addon
    for explorer. I found one by Microsoft but it only supported Canon
    formats. Might be updated now. Adobe Bridge is nice but it feels less
    responsive. So far i have found most problems having problem in one area
    or the other. The search continues.

    Dan, Apr 10, 2006
  11. CHRIS KIDD

    CHRIS KIDD Guest

    Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
    orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
    do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
    would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
    imbedded in the image file...

    Chris

    CHRIS KIDD, Apr 10, 2006
  12. CHRIS KIDD

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:35:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "CHRIS KIDD"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
    >orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
    >do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
    >would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
    >imbedded in the image file...

    You've not said what file format(s) you are talking about, nor the
    method used to transfer the files. Both of these can have an effect of
    what you are seeing.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 10, 2006
  13. CHRIS KIDD

    Don Stauffer Guest

    CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    > Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
    > orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
    > do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
    > would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
    > imbedded in the image file...

    Makes me wonder how the camera senses the orientation. Must be a
    pendulum. I can't believe they use a gyro just for that.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 11, 2006
  14. CHRIS KIDD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:02:04 -0500, Don Stauffer wrote:

    > Makes me wonder how the camera senses the orientation. Must be a
    > pendulum. I can't believe they use a gyro just for that.

    Possibly, but it would be simpler, more reliable and quieter with
    a mercury switch. Use two and it would also work upside down! If a
    gyro was used the camera could have a better IS system. <g>

    ASAAR, Apr 12, 2006