    have a pin coupler?
    Dick

    , Oct 24, 2005

  2. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
    > Its not the top of the line however & older!
    > I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
    > really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
    > for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
    > can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
    > the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
    > answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
    > but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
    > guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
    > up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
    > have a pin coupler?
    > Dick

    It would help if you came right out and told us the vintage of the lenses.
    For example:
    Pre-AI?
    AI?
    AI-S?
    AF?
    All of the first three have pin couplers which only pre-AI bodies need.
    Isn't the D50 like the D70 in that it does not have the meter coupling ring?
    If so, then it can only use pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses in manual mode with
    no exposure control.
    Also, if so, then you should be extra careful in mounting pre-AI lenses.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 24, 2005

  3. JimmyG Guest

    The D50 is essentially a D70 for lens compatibility purposes. I am currently
    having TERRIBLE problems with getting my D70 to meter with older,
    non-autofocus lenses. It simply won't do it. I tried a newly purchased,
    used, 500mm f/4 ED-P lens on both my camera AND another new D70S with no
    luck. It simply will NOT meter. This sucks. The lens tests OK on an F100
    & other, older digital bodies, such as the D1X.

    Also, be absolutely certain that you obtain & keep forever an original
    purchase receipt on any Nikon lens or body. Nikon simply will not do ANY
    work, warranty or otherwise, without the original purchase receipt.
    Personal experience verifies this.

    Also, be cautious when buying older AF lenses. I'm currently stuck with a
    $1,300 piece of junk, 300mm AF-I f/2.8 lens. There are NO parts & even WITH
    a receipt, Nikon can do minimal if ANY repairs.

    JimmyG, Oct 25, 2005
  4. sierra Guest

    Check out pages 106 & 107 of the D50 manual, there's a comprehensive
    table showing compatibilities, and the lenses that cannot be used.
    Given that you can download the manual prior to purchase, I think Nikon
    have been fairly up-front with this information.

    sierra, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Jim Guest

    On 2005-10-24 10:37:09 -0400, "Jim" <> said:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
    >> Its not the top of the line however & older!
    >> I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
    >> really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
    >> for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
    >> can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
    >> the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
    >> answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
    >> but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
    >> guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
    >> up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
    >> have a pin coupler?
    >> Dick
    >>

    > It would help if you came right out and told us the vintage of the lenses.
    > For example:
    > Pre-AI?
    > AI?
    > AI-S?
    > AF?
    > All of the first three have pin couplers which only pre-AI bodies need.
    > Isn't the D50 like the D70 in that it does not have the meter coupling ring?
    > If so, then it can only use pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses in manual mode
    > with no exposure control.
    > Also, if so, then you should be extra careful in mounting pre-AI lenses.
    > Jim

    It really is very simple. Its no secret. Nikon states it clearly in
    any literature I have read. The Nikon D50/70 series will not meter
    with any MANUAL focus lens. Period. (Heck, even my N90 requires and AI
    or AI Modified lens). Most AI and modified AI lens can be mounted but
    you will need to have an an external meter or "guess" at the exposure
    and focus manually. AF, AF-D and AF-DX lense will work in all modes.
    Non AI lenses which have not been properly modified can not be used,
    period. With a manual lens, you will need to meter using an external
    meter, and set the lens aperature and the shutter speed.

    The Nikon F100, D1 and D2 series will work with your older lenses.

    Jim

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Guest

    The D50 will let you bracket (3) up to two stops in 1/3 increments so
    that might help but the buffer won't give you more than three quick
    ones, for sport photography it might not be enough. As mentioned above
    Nikon is pretty clear about what works and what doesn't. You can
    download a simplified PDF of the whole manual on the Nikon website.

    , Oct 25, 2005
  7. Guest

    Hi, yes I read the same on line! I do not have to have it couple, but
    thought there might be a way to read the light going through lens at
    least.
    My Nikon lenses only have the pin coupler. It does go on the D50
    (Compusa has sample to play with) if you are carefull and use the dot
    on the body as a clew.
    Dick

    , Oct 25, 2005
  8. Guest

    I don't have a "clue" what you are talking about.

    On 25 Oct 2005 09:25:32 -0700, wrote:

    >use the dot
    >on the body as a clew.

    , Oct 25, 2005
  9. Dave Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
    > Its not the top of the line however & older!
    > I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
    > really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
    > for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
    > can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
    > the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
    > answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
    > but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
    > guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
    > up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
    > have a pin coupler?
    > Dick

    FYI - There is a person who re-chips lenses to solve just this problem.
    I think it will only work with AI, AI-S and AIed lenses and he is very
    specific about which lenses he will work on.

    Here is a link to his site. I have no personal experience with him, but
    others have used him for this.

    http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

    Be sure to follow his directions as he's quite fussy.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave

    Dave, Oct 25, 2005