    even when manually focussed just off infinity and well stopped down. My
    manual 50mm or 24mm lenses produce very nice, sharp IR images.

    Chris
    CHRIS KIDD, Aug 12, 2006

  2. "CHRIS KIDD" <> wrote in message
    news:xfrDg.20793$...
    .. . .

    > Infrared: Although the D50 is pretty good at infrared exposures, the
    > 'standard' 18-55 lens doesn't seem to be able to focus infrared very
    > well - even when manually focussed just off infinity and well stopped
    > down. My manual 50mm or 24mm lenses produce very nice, sharp IR images.

    It's possible that lens just won't focus those wavelengths well no matter
    what you do. Infrared doesn't seem to be something that makers of lenses for
    digital cameras are much interested in accommodating. I notice that neither
    my Nikon 18-70 DX nor 10.5mm DX has an IR focusing mark.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 12, 2006

  3. CHRIS KIDD

    Roy G Guest

    "CHRIS KIDD" <> wrote in message
    >A couple of oddities that I've found with the Nikon D50:
    >
    > Exposure: On the manual settings when taking multiple pictures (same
    > scene, same light conditions) the resulting images come out with different
    > brightnesses, even though the settings are the same, and the exif record
    > the same expsoure values...
    >

    > Chris

    Sound as if the Shutter is inconsistent. Most shutters are, and always have
    been, but the variations are usually small enough not to produce visible
    differences in exposure.

    They only used to show up on Shutter Speed / Exposure Testers, which every
    Camera Repairer used on Film Cameras. Anything within + or - 10% was
    accepted as being accurate. Most places would run tests and produce a print
    out for a modest fee. I do not know how it is done nowadays, because there
    is now no way of putting the detector in behind the lens (and mirror of an
    SLR).

    Roy G
    Roy G, Aug 13, 2006
  4. CHRIS KIDD

    Jim Townsend Guest

    CHRIS KIDD wrote:

    > A couple of oddities that I've found with the Nikon D50:
    >
    > Exposure: On the manual settings when taking multiple pictures (same scene,
    > same light conditions) the resulting images come out with different
    > brightnesses, even though the settings are the same, and the exif record the
    > same expsoure values...

    What are the conditions ?

    Off the top of my head:

    Outdoors, if it's cloudy, the light can vary slightly as the
    clouds move across the sun. (Even if they appear even to the eye)

    Indoors, if you have incandescent or florescent lights and you're
    using less than 1/60 second exposure, you can get variations because
    these types of lights actually flicker very rapidly.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 13, 2006
  5. CHRIS KIDD

    Guest

    CHRIS KIDD wrote:
    > A couple of oddities that I've found with the Nikon D50:
    >
    > Exposure: On the manual settings when taking multiple pictures (same scene,
    > same light conditions) the resulting images come out with different
    > brightnesses, even though the settings are the same, and the exif record the
    > same expsoure values...
    >
    > Infrared: Although the D50 is pretty good at infrared exposures, the
    > 'standard' 18-55 lens doesn't seem to be able to focus infrared very well -
    > even when manually focussed just off infinity and well stopped down. My
    > manual 50mm or 24mm lenses produce very nice, sharp IR images.
    >

    > Chris

    Were you shooting jpeg or RAW. The jpeg compression includes a
    brightness normalization based on the scene content. So even if the
    lighting is held constant, the arrangement of stuff in a scene CAN
    influence that normalization. This is true of any camera shooting
    jpeg. So if the scene is truly identical something else may be in play
    here, but if it is the same BASIC scene, but different people with
    different clothing, etc,, that could be the jpeg normalization.
    , Aug 13, 2006
  6. CHRIS KIDD

    Bill Guest

    CHRIS KIDD wrote:

    >A couple of oddities that I've found with the Nikon D50:
    >
    >Exposure: On the manual settings when taking multiple pictures (same scene,
    >same light conditions) the resulting images come out with different
    >brightnesses, even though the settings are the same, and the exif record the
    >same expsoure values...

    If you're using the default settings, I believe the sharpness and
    contrast are set to Auto, and that can have an effect shot-to-shot if
    the camera decides to use a different setting. I presume the ISO is the
    same in each shot and not set to Auto either.

    Try using specific contrast and sharpness settings and see if that fixes
    the issue.

    >Infrared: Although the D50 is pretty good at infrared exposures, the
    >'standard' 18-55 lens doesn't seem to be able to focus infrared very well -
    >even when manually focussed just off infinity and well stopped down. My
    >manual 50mm or 24mm lenses produce very nice, sharp IR images.

    The coatings on the lense can affect certain frequencies and actually
    filter them to some extent. The 18-55 probably doesn't pass IR that
    well.
    Bill, Aug 13, 2006