    that will fit the nikon D50?.
    i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    manually.
    bongo, Nov 8, 2006

  2. bongo

    Panos Guest

    bongo wrote:
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
    > that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    You may not mind a manual focus lens but the D50 will! It cannot meter
    with manual focus lenses. Other lens brands you can use are Sigma,
    Tokina and Tamron. Make sure you choose the Nikon F-mount version of
    their lenses when you buy one.
    Panos, Nov 8, 2006

  3. bongo

    [BnH] Guest

    Really ? I think the 45 /2.8 P and 500 / 4.0 P I tried can meter with a D50
    last time :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Nov 8, 2006
  4. bongo

    acl Guest

    bongo wrote:
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
    > that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    Sigma, Tamron, Tokina make lenses. Autofocus too.
    acl, Nov 8, 2006
  5. bongo

    Bill Crocker Guest

    " bongo" <_no> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
    > that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    In addition to the manufactures already mentioned, Ritz Camera carries a
    line of inexpensive lenses labeled Quantaray. I've never used one, and from
    what I've heard they're not high quality, but they can get the job done if
    your budget is limited. They may be manufactured by one of the other
    companies, and just re-branded for Ritz Camera.

    I have a Nikon D200, and I tried a Sigma 50-500mm, and I was not impressed.
    I recently purchased a Tokina 12-24mm for about half the price of it's Nikon
    counter part, and I actually think it's better!

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Nov 8, 2006
  6. bongo

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 8, 5:45 am, " bongo" <_no> wrote:
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
    > that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    What lens are you looking for? For a kit lens the Nikon 18-70 is not
    bad, on the down side it is a 3.5-4.5 lens. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina
    make an 18(17)-50 f2.8 lens, but all three have QC problems, all 4
    lenses go for under $500 with the Nikon about $300. The lenses can be
    very good or bad. There are a few lenses that are manual focus and can
    have a metering chip put on them, but with the D50 viewfinder focusing
    will be difficult. You can learn to use the camera on manual and use a
    handheld meter, focuing will still be an issue.

    Godd luck
    Tom
    tomm42, Nov 8, 2006
  7. bongo wrote:
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of lenses,
    > that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    We have a Tamron zoom lens for ours that includes the autofocus and
    every other option. Works just like a Nikon lens, and we are fine with
    it.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 8, 2006
  8. bongo

    Panos Guest

    [BnH] wrote:
    > Really ? I think the 45 /2.8 P and 500 / 4.0 P I tried can meter with a D50
    > last time :)
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "Panos" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > You may not mind a manual focus lens but the D50 will! It cannot meter
    > > with manual focus lenses. Other lens brands you can use are Sigma,
    > > Tokina and Tamron. Make sure you choose the Nikon F-mount version of
    > > their lenses when you buy one.

    These are the only P-type lenses in existence which have a CPU so
    metering is supported. I wonder why Nikon has not produced more lenses
    of this type. I have the same question regarding the Zeiss manual focus
    lenses for Nikon cameras. Why is it they do not have a CPU?
    Panos, Nov 8, 2006
  9. bongo wrote:
    > hi,
    > i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other makes of
    > lenses, that will fit the nikon D50?.
    > i dont mind if the lens will not use auto focus and i have to focus
    > manually.

    Just bought a superb Nikon AF 70-210 lens for my D70. Bought it on E-Bay for
    £80. I guess it would be at least £400 new, but it is totally
    indistinguishable from a new lens, even down to the Hoya UV filter,
    packaging and instruction manual.

    You can get the shorter focal length zooms (kit lenses) for around £80 to
    £100 on Ebay. The 17-55 actually retails new for £84 in the UK.

    A standard F1.8 50mm manual Nikon lens can be bought for £30 on Ebay. You
    really only get a digital SLR without metering and focussing using these
    lenses. Is it really worth it? Might as well buy a Panasonic FZ50!

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Nov 8, 2006
  10. "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message

    > You can get the shorter focal length zooms (kit lenses) for around £80 to
    > £100 on Ebay. The 17-55 actually retails new for £84 in the UK.

    I wish! I paid about 10X this for my 17-55. I think you must mean the
    18-55 3.5/5.6.
    Adrian Boliston, Nov 8, 2006
  11. bongo

    JimO Guest

    I have a D50 with a Quantary 70-300. I don't have it handy but I think it's
    like f/4 - 5.6. Works great for action and sports on bright sunny day but
    you can't use in low light. It's very light weight.

    JimO, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> You can get the shorter focal length zooms (kit lenses) for around
    >> £80 to £100 on Ebay. The 17-55 actually retails new for £84 in the
    >> UK.

    > I wish! I paid about 10X this for my 17-55. I think you must mean
    > the 18-55 3.5/5.6.

    Sorry! My mistake! I did mean the 18-55! Park Cameras are seeling this for
    £84. Some idiots are buy them second-hand on Ebay and paying £100+.
    Dennis Pogson, Nov 10, 2006