Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    I have been seriously interested in a digital SLR camera since I got
    rid of my Nikon N55 film SLR. I am seriously terrible with film, and
    out of 10 rolls, only about 30 pictures came out how I liked, and I was
    fed up with waiting for the film to develope at Sav-On, and I didn't
    like having to pay for film and not know if the picture came out until
    the film was already wasted. I have seen some great pictures taken with
    a Nikon Coolpix 4600 (4 megapixel), and they were brilliant, vivid, had
    great auto exposure, and could handle some complex lighting situations,
    but had a good amount of noise came up in the pictures. I heard of the
    Digital SLR cameras, and was thrown to the ground at the sight of the
    prices, but found a Nikon D50 that would still put a major dent in my
    wallet that I would feel every time I sit down, but it was low enough
    to handle. I saw the 6 megapixels and thought "well, thats an
    improvement on 4 megapixels". Also, I noticed the difference in CCD
    sensor size, it is huge comp ared to point and shoot cameras that have
    6 megapixels. Also the Nikon D50 has all these cool manual funcions,
    but I read that it only goes as low as 200 ISO. Now, one of a few
    things I remember about using film as that 200 speed gave much better
    picture quality than 400 and 800, where it doesnt have alot of
    graniness, but since the D50 is digital, will it be like the Nikon 4600
    and have noise regardless of ISO setting? I have Adobe Photoshop
    Elements and Photoshop CS2, so I can tinker with some of the noise, but
    I would like to have a digital camera that doesnt have much noise so I
    dont have to go and tinker with it to get it right. Again, as a simple
    recap, does the D50 have the kind of noise that the Coolpix 4600
    produces, will the lowest setting on the camera 200 ISO produce much
    noise, and pretty much, is it worth the money, like, is it a good
    deal? Thanks for any help!
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006

  2. sgtdisturbed

    Joan Guest

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond50/

    Take a look at some pictures taken with the camera. I'm very happy
    with my D50.

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Apr 10, 2006

  3. "sgtdisturbed" <> wrote:

    > I would like to have a digital camera that doesnt have much noise so I
    > dont have to go and tinker with it to get it right. Again, as a simple
    > recap, does the D50 have the kind of noise that the Coolpix 4600
    > produces, will the lowest setting on the camera 200 ISO produce much
    > noise,

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page17.asp

    Noise isn't a real problem with the D50; it'll be better at ISO 400 than the
    4600 is at ISO 100, and you'll find ISO 800 on the D50 more than usable. ISO
    400 in the Coolpix 4800 (similar generation to the 4600; I couldn't find a
    4600 review) is pretty gross, so I'd guess that ISO 1600 on the D50 will be
    lower noise than ISO 400 on the 4600.

    You'll be _real_ happy with the lack of noise in D50 images.

    >and pretty much, is it worth the money, like, is it a good
    > deal? Thanks for any help!

    The D50 is a good 6MP camera. Period.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 10, 2006
  4. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    Ouch, I am noticing the same problem I had with the Nikon Coolpix 4600,
    on the pics you have, where there is one solid color covering a big
    area, like the sky, there is significant noise, and the picture isnt
    even enlarged. Were these taken at more sensitive setting than ISO 200?
    Also, I am noticing that the quality and vivid colors are very similar
    to my Coolpix 4600, but it seems that the D50 has the advantage of
    handling much more complex lighting situations than my 4600 (I could
    NEVER take a good picture of the moon in any setting, it would just be
    a fuzzy ball of light), so that is impressive, but apparently the only
    difference. Am I missing something? Will good lenses make a differrence
    in picture quality?
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  5. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    Well, looking at that comparison, I definately wont let a Pentax eat my
    cash. The comparisons between the D50 and D70 looked pretty
    interesting, it looks like technology has advanced at a much faster
    rate then I thought. But I took a look at some of the graphs and my
    brain couldnt decompile all that data, none of it makes sense. Is there
    a chart or comparison sight that has an easier to understand set of
    graphs and that has larger pictures so I can get a better look?
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  6. "sgtdisturbed" <> wrote:

    > Is there
    > a chart or comparison sight that has an easier to understand set of
    > graphs and that has larger pictures so I can get a better look?

    I've gotten used to dpreview, so it doesn't bother me<g>. Imaging-resource

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

    is even more techie-oriented nowadays, since they've picked up on Imatest.

    I'd recommend spending time reading and rereading the reviews. You'll find
    it time well spent, since you'll know what to look for when you finally get
    a camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 10, 2006
  7. "sgtdisturbed" <> wrote in message
    > Ouch, I am noticing the same problem I had with the Nikon Coolpix 4600,
    > on the pics you have, where there is one solid color covering a big
    > area, like the sky, there is significant noise, and the picture isnt
    > even enlarged.

    The pictures are small all right, but I don't see any noise in the sky
    areas. I'm using a 17" LCD monitor, and all I can see in the solid-color
    areas is the grain of the monitor itself.
    John Falstaff, Apr 10, 2006
  8. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    Is this too good to be true? I just compared some of the test pics from
    the D50 to the test pics of the D200, and I'll be damned, I couldnt
    tell the difference whatsoever! Except of course the size of the
    images, but for normal 4x6 prints, that shouldnt matter, I dont plan on
    making huge prints. The low noise, great color, and near perfect light
    handling makes my once-beloved Nikon 4600 look like a toy. I have an
    artistic personality, and photography has brought it out even more. I
    used to think that the Nikon 4600 would be the best I could get for the
    money, but man, after looking at the D50 in all it's glory, it is
    apparent that this camera will do me a great deal of good. I used to
    dread taking pics with a 4600, since I would have to go to my computer
    and Photoshop the noise out of the pictures where the sky is, but
    looking at these pics taken with the D50, I could likely get away with
    taking my memory card straight to Sav-On after taking pics, without
    doctoring the shiznit out of the picture with Photoshop. NOW, seeing as
    I have seen much good with this camera, the D50, I need to know the
    bad. Is there any hidden problems I should know about? I noticed that
    the D200 has a LCD screen protector, does the D50 have a similar safety
    feature for it's LCS screen, or do I have to make one myself...
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  9. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    oh, oopsie, I am using a LCD 17 inch monitor too...
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  10. sgtdisturbed

    Joan Guest

    If you quote the photo id I'll post the exif. I usually don't put it
    in the shots on Flickr.

    Joan, Apr 10, 2006
  11. sgtdisturbed

    Joan Guest

    No, D50 doesn't have an LCD protector and it doesn't have the notch
    needed to add one.

    Have you scratched an LCD yet? I haven't scratch one in 7 years of
    digital photography.

    You might notice that since January, I've been using the 18-200mm VR
    lens. It's magic.

    Joan, Apr 10, 2006
  12. "sgtdisturbed" <> wrote in message
    >I have been seriously interested in a digital SLR camera since I got
    > rid of my Nikon N55 film SLR. I am seriously terrible with film, and
    > out of 10 rolls, only about 30 pictures came out how I liked, and I was
    > fed up with waiting for the film to develope at Sav-On, and I didn't
    > like having to pay for film and not know if the picture came out until
    > the film was already wasted. I have seen some great pictures taken with
    > a Nikon Coolpix 4600 (4 megapixel), and they were brilliant, vivid, had
    > great auto exposure, and could handle some complex lighting situations,
    > but had a good amount of noise came up in the pictures.

    The Coolpix 4600 is an excellent little low-end camera, I have one myself,
    but its sensor is very small (smaller than the similar-sized Coolpix
    4200/5900/7900 models) and is inevitably a bit noisier for that reason.
    Personally I never found the noise bothersome, but then I never found a
    reasonable amount of grain bothersome while I was using film, either. And
    when I use this camera outdoors it's almost always at the default ISO 50
    which keeps noise at a minimum.

    > I heard of the
    > Digital SLR cameras, and was thrown to the ground at the sight of the
    > prices, but found a Nikon D50 that would still put a major dent in my
    > wallet that I would feel every time I sit down, but it was low enough
    > to handle. I saw the 6 megapixels and thought "well, thats an
    > improvement on 4 megapixels". Also, I noticed the difference in CCD
    > sensor size, it is huge comp ared to point and shoot cameras that have
    > 6 megapixels.

    Yes, it is several times larger and that's really more important than the
    50% increase in pixels, especially as far as noise at high ISO numbers is
    concerned.

    Also the Nikon D50 has all these cool manual funcions,
    > but I read that it only goes as low as 200 ISO. Now, one of a few
    > things I remember about using film as that 200 speed gave much better
    > picture quality than 400 and 800, where it doesnt have alot of
    > graniness, but since the D50 is digital, will it be like the Nikon 4600
    > and have noise regardless of ISO setting? I have Adobe Photoshop
    > Elements and Photoshop CS2, so I can tinker with some of the noise, but
    > I would like to have a digital camera that doesnt have much noise so I
    > dont have to go and tinker with it to get it right. Again, as a simple
    > recap, does the D50 have the kind of noise that the Coolpix 4600
    > produces, will the lowest setting on the camera 200 ISO produce much
    > noise, and pretty much, is it worth the money, like, is it a good
    > deal? Thanks for any help!

    I don't have that particular dSLR myself, but from everything I've read
    about it from others it's a terrific camera for the price.
    John Falstaff, Apr 10, 2006
  13. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    One of the photos that I noticed heavy noise is this one, DSC_4169, a
    pic of the moon with a blue sky.
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  14. sgtdisturbed

    sgtdisturbed Guest

    Ya I kinda figured that a good lens makes a difference in pic quality,
    but how much would a good Lens go for? I understand that the D50 comes
    with a lens, is it just junk, or can I take half-way decent pics with
    it?
    sgtdisturbed, Apr 10, 2006
  15. sgtdisturbed

    Joan Guest

    That's a straight crop. Take a look at the largest version on flickr.

    Exif extracted with exiflist.exe from the NEF raw file.

    FILE: dsc_4169.nef

    Camera
    Image Type : Thumbnail
    Main Image Width : 160
    Main Image Length : 120
    Main Image Bits/Sample : 8 8 8
    Main Image Compression : None
    PhotometricInterpret. : RGB
    Make : NIKON CORPORATION
    Model : NIKON D50
    Strip Offsets : 30994
    Orientation (start point): Upper Left
    Sample per Pixel : 3
    Rows per Strip : 120
    Strip Byte Count : 57600
    X Resolution : 300
    Y Resolution : 300
    Planar Configuration : Chunky
    Resolution Unit : Inch
    Firmware Version : Ver.1.00
    Date/Time Modified : 2006:04:09 16:59:50
    Reference Black&White : 0.00 255.00 0.00 255.00 0.00 255.00
    Date/Time Taken : 2006:04:09 16:59:50
    Unknown Field 0x9216 : 01000000

    Image
    Exposure Time (sec) : 1/200
    F-Number : 5.6
    Exposure Program : Program Normal
    Date/Time Taken : 2006:04:09 16:59:50
    Date/Time Digitised : 2006:04:09 16:59:50
    Exposure Bias (EV) : 0.00
    Max Aperture : 5.7
    Metering Mode : Spot
    Light Source : Auto
    Flash : Not Fired
    Focal Length (mm) : 200.00
    User Comment :
    Subsec Time : 60
    Subsec Time Original : 60
    Subsec Time Digitised : 60
    Sensing Method : One chip colour area sensor
    File Source : Digital Still Camera
    Scene Type : Directly Photographed Image
    CFA Pattern : 0002000202010100
    Custom Render : Normal Process
    Exposure Mode : Auto Exposure
    White Balance : Auto
    Digital Zoom Ratio : 1.00
    Focal Length (35mm equiv): 300
    Scene Capture Mode : Standard
    Gain Control : None
    Contrast : Normal
    Saturation : Normal
    Sharpness : Normal
    Subject Distance Range : Unknown

    Maker Note (Nikon Type 3)
    Version : 0210
    ISO Setting : 0 200
    Quality : RAW
    White Balance : AUTO
    Sharpening : AUTO
    Focus : AF-A
    Flash Setting : NORMAL
    Flash Mode :
    White Balance Bias : 0
    Field 0x000d : 00010600
    Exposure Difference : 0.00
    Flash Compensation : 0.00
    Field 0x0013 : 0 200
    Field 0x0017 : 00010600
    Field 0x0018 : 00010600
    Field 0x0019 : 0.00
    Focal Length : D50
    Tone Compensation : AUTO
    Lens Type : 14
    Lens : 18.00 200.00 3.50 5.60
    Flash Used : None
    AF Focus Position : Unknown value
    Bracketing : 0
    Field 0x008b : 40010c00
    Color Mode : MODE3a
    Lighting Type : NATURAL
    Hue Adjustment : 0
    Unknown Field 0x0093 : 1
    Noise Reduction : OFF

    TIFF Image
    TIFF Image Type : Thumbnail
    TIFF Image Compression : JPEG Compression
    TIFF X Resolution : 300
    TIFF Y Resolution : 300
    TIFF Resolution Unit : Inch
    TIFF Jpeg IF Offset : 131072
    TIFF Jpeg IF Byte Count : 707296
    TIFF YCbCr Positioning : Datum Point

    TIFF Image 1
    TIFF Image Type : Main
    TIFF Image Width : 3040
    TIFF Image Length : 2014
    TIFF Image Bits/Sample : 12
    TIFF Image Compression : 34713
    TIFF PhotometricInterp. : 32803
    TIFF Strip Offsets : 838608
    TIFF Orientation : Upper Left
    TIFF Sample per Pixel : 1
    TIFF Rows per Strip : 2014
    TIFF Strip Byte Count(s) : 4102141
    TIFF X Resolution : 300
    TIFF Y Resolution : 300
    TIFF Planar Config : Chunky
    TIFF Resolution Unit : Inch
    Unknown Field 0x828d : 2 2
    Unknown Field 0x828e : 02010100
    Unknown Field 0x9217 : 2

    Nikon NEF Thumbnail
    TIFF Image Compression : JPEG Compression
    TIFF X Resolution : 300.00
    TIFF Y Resolution : 300.00
    TIFF Resolution Unit : Inch
    TIFF Jpeg IF Offset : 7346
    TIFF Jpeg IF Byte Count : 22650

    Joan, Apr 10, 2006
  16. sgtdisturbed

    Joan Guest

    It's not junk, but I didn't start to post on flickr until after I
    bought the 18-200, however, the NYE shots were with the 18-55 kit
    lens.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly/sets/72057594081834128/

    I think most of those are crops, so the largest size on Flickr might
    be 100%.

    If you want more info any, just quote the number.

    By all accounts the 18-70 is better. The 55-200 is considered bad and
    I didn't get one. I took the kit with the 70-300 bonus. However, I
    can't really hold the 70-300 still at 300, so keep it for tripod work.
    The 18-200 is a fabulous walk-about lens.

    Joan, Apr 10, 2006
  17. sgtdisturbed

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 10 Apr 2006 04:20:47 -0700, "sgtdisturbed" <>
    wrote:

    >Ouch, I am noticing the same problem I had with the Nikon Coolpix 4600,
    >on the pics you have, where there is one solid color covering a big
    >area, like the sky, there is significant noise, and the picture isnt
    >even enlarged. Were these taken at more sensitive setting than ISO 200?

    Those are compression artifacts, and are a result of the image being
    made smaller to handle being transferred over the internet. The
    original image will, in all likelyhood, print and view just fine.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Apr 10, 2006
  18. sgtdisturbed

    Don Stauffer Guest

    I love our new D50. My wife decided to get one for a trip to China-
    last trip she lugged 25 rolls of film with her. This trip she merely
    bought a 1 Gb card!

    We both have film SLRs, and I have a digital P&S (Oly 3000Z) No
    comparison. The D50 is great!

    Now, in GENERAL the faster the film, the tinier the grain. But not
    always. Emulsion technology advanced the state of the art, so that a
    200 film of the 1980s might well have as sharp a resolution as a 100
    film of the 1940s.

    Plus, changes in ISO-based exposure time have a completely different
    mechanism and effect- it is not on resolution, but on noise. We have
    taken a fair number of dim pics with the D50, and noise is not a factor
    at 200.

    Don Stauffer, Apr 10, 2006
  19. sgtdisturbed

    Craig Guest