Nikon D50 in the works, D200 a hoax

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "True211" <> wrote in message
    > Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
    > from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200"

    and
    > nothing came up.
    >
    > However.... <grin>
    >
    > Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.
    >
    > See for yourself:
    >
    > http://www.uspto.gov

    The Trademark doesn't have to be filed in the USA. Filing a Trademark in
    Japan would still be a protected TM under International Law. They can file
    for a USA one at a later date.
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Dave Busch" <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:11:11 -0500, "True211" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
    > >from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200"

    and
    > >nothing came up.
    > >
    > >However.... <grin>
    > >
    > >Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.
    > >
    > >See for yourself:
    > >
    > >http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=1b3qt5.3.1
    > >
    > >I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it

    is
    > >unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

    > If I were Nikon and wanted to keep a D100 replacement secret, what I'd
    > do would be to register the D200 name in Japan and use a red herring
    > like registering a D50 in the United States to throw off the folks who
    > think the USA is the center of the universe.
    >
    > Nikon has previously registered trademarks in the US *after* the
    > introduction of the product, so lack thereof doesn't mean much.
    >
    > Would be nice to see a $599 D50, though.

    Even if it's based on the F55 shell, like the current hoax on dpreview.com?
    I love that one, the Photoshop artist left the door release visible in the
    front view. Good for him that there was no top view.

    ;)
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "C J Campbell" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront

    of
    > > > technology.

    > > Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge"

    of
    > > technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the

    '60s.
    > > Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
    > > auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof.

    Come to
    > > think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard

    pressed to
    > > think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or

    Canon.

    > I think Canon is the first to sell astrophotography versions of
    > pro/consumer digicams.

    How many of the 20Da will actually be produced, and at what cost?
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront of
    > > technology.

    > Near as I can tell, Nikon has never tried to be on "the bleeding edge" of
    > technology. They had a reputation for conservatism clear back in the '60s.
    > Let all those other guys try out new-fangled ideas like TTL metering,
    > auto-focus, etc. Then pick the best ideas and make them bulletproof. Come

    > think of it, Canon really does a lot of the same thing. I am hard pressed

    > think of any technology that was first introduced by either Nikon or

    Canon.

    Odd how the D200 was competitive to the D30, D60, 10D... So now Canon is on
    their 6th generation of dSLR during the life-time of the D100. Will there be
    a D200, YES! But it may not be called a D200. What if Nikon, tongue-in-cheek
    called it the D100 mk.II, AFAIK you can't trademark "mk.II"

    As for your other point, the technology often was developed by others. First
    OTF metering, was Olympus OM-2. Multi-Coated lenses Asahi/Zeiss co-venture
    in the form of Super Multi Coating/T*
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    > "C J Campbell" <> wrote:
    > > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I think Canon is the first to sell astrophotography versions of
    > > > pro/consumer digicams.

    > > Well, if you mean the 20Da they are not selling them yet! :) I am

    really
    > > surprised that Minolta did not get into this market first.

    > The 20Da is a special-order only camera. Delivery time is 3 months from
    > receipt of order, and orders are now (as of Feb 15th, actually) being
    > accepted.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    What's the MSRP, if one can use that term on a custom product...
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > C J Campbell wrote:
    >

    > > Well, if you mean the 20Da they are not selling them yet! :) I am

    really
    > > surprised that Minolta did not get into this market first.

    > Minolta use CCD sensors, uncooled of course, so not a good 'sell' for

    astro.

    Maybe the next model will have a CMOS?
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > Woodchuck Bill <> wrote:
    >

    > > To confuse the hell out of first-time dSLR buyers like myself. I was
    > > set on the D70...then Canon had to drop the XT bomb and now Nikon is
    > > hitting us with this small silver bullet.
    > >

    > They're insane if they stick with that dRebley-looking silver and black
    > color scheme that just screams 'CHEAP TOY'. I know people who chose D70's
    > over dRebels just because the Canon was too ugly to be seen with.

    If you are referring to the Photoshopped image on DPReview forums
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=12332761

    Front view you can see the door release of the F55, the back view you see
    the USB connection.

    Sort of like the watch in Ben Hur, or the jet vapour trails on Bonanza...
    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Darrell

    True211 Guest

    Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
    from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200" and
    nothing came up.

    However.... <grin>

    Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

    See for yourself:

    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=1b3qt5.3.1

    I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it is
    unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2EF1248A

    I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
    needed upgrade to the D100.
    True211, Feb 19, 2005
  9. Darrell

    [BnH] Guest

    Nikon's soon == in 1 < month < 12 :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Feb 19, 2005
  10. Darrell

    ThomasH Guest

    True211 wrote:

    > Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked D200
    > from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for "D200" and
    > nothing came up.
    >
    > However.... <grin>
    >
    > Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.
    >
    > See for yourself:
    >
    > http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=1b3qt5.3.1

    Indeed, let me though quote it becuase the above URL leads
    to expired session only:

    [...
    Word Mark D50
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Cameras
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 78562983
    Filing Date February 8, 2005
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Owner (APPLICANT) NIKON CORPORATION CORPORATION JAPAN 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo JAPAN
    Attorney of Record Mark I. Peroff
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
    ....]

    > I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so it is
    > unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.

    Canon did the same with their 350D!

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Feb 19, 2005
  11. Darrell

    McLeod Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
    >needed upgrade to the D100.

    It's like a loss leader in the supermarket. If you can get someone to
    buy the starter camera and invest in a few more lenses, you can keep
    them as a customer for the rest of their lives. So Nikon may come out
    with something even cheaper than the 300D.
    McLeod, Feb 19, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Bob Niland Guest

    > McLeod <> wrote:

    > If you can get someone to buy the starter camera and
    > invest in a few more lenses, you can keep them as a
    > customer for the rest of their lives. So Nikon may
    > come out with something even cheaper than the 300D.

    The lock-in, of course, only works for people who upgrade
    bodies more often than the maker rolls lens generations.
    Alternatively, the maker can avoid unwise decisions about
    supporting legacy lens mounts.

    My DSLR was funded by selling of my collection of Canon
    A-1 and FD (mostly newFD) stuff. Because Canon deliberately
    designed the EF mount so that FD glass could not be made
    100% adaptable to EOS cams, the loyalty factor was shot.

    Indeed, after dumping the lot on eBay, I was ready to try
    switching to Nikon or any of several other brands. Had
    the D70 been ready, I might be a Nikon user today.

    Another factor is "a few more lenses". For many entry-level
    SLR/DSLR users, they never own more than the kit lens the
    cam came with. Lens lock-in never takes root at all.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:
    Bob Niland, Feb 19, 2005
  13. On Saturday 19 February 2005 13:11, True211 wrote:

    > Someone posted a photo and specs of what was supposed to be a leaked
    > D200 from Nikon. I just checked the US Patent and Trademark Office for
    > "D200" and nothing came up.
    >
    > However.... <grin>
    >
    > Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.
    >
    > See for yourself:
    >
    > http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=1b3qt5.3.1
    >
    > I looked at the recent TM filings by Nikon and only found the D50, so
    > it is unlikely that any other DSLR will be announced any time soon.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2EF1248A
    >
    > I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a
    > much needed upgrade to the D100.

    Same reason 40 years ago they came out with the Nikkormat F, a poorman's
    Nikon FTn, more or less. And same reason since then that they've come
    out with a scaled down version (featurewise) of top-of-the-line
    professional models: To sell to the amateurs, who want a Nikon, but
    won't (or can't) pay the dollars for the pro models.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Feb 20, 2005
  14. "Bob Niland" <> wrote in message

    > The lock-in, of course, only works for people who upgrade
    > bodies more often than the maker rolls lens generations.
    > Alternatively, the maker can avoid unwise decisions about
    > supporting legacy lens mounts.

    Rolling of lens generations is pretty rare.

    > My DSLR was funded by selling of my collection of Canon
    > A-1 and FD (mostly newFD) stuff. Because Canon deliberately
    > designed the EF mount so that FD glass could not be made
    > 100% adaptable to EOS cams, the loyalty factor was shot.

    The FD mount couldn't take Canon into the professional film market, and an
    adapter for manual mode was as far as they could go for adaptability. You
    make it sound as if it would have been easy to get full compatibility
    between FD lenses and EOS bodies. The FD stuff didn't stop working with FD
    bodies simply because the EOS system was introduced. Getting mad because a
    company comes out with new products that don't work with their old products,
    is ridiculous.

    Nikon has retained the F mount but not all older F mount lenses work on
    newer F mount bodies. And the F mount has a lot of baggage that is hurting
    Nikon right now. Because of the back focus distance, they can't do something
    similar to what Canon did with the EF-s lenses, to compensate for the crop
    factor. Nikon is eventually going to have to replace the F mount, then
    you'll hear some serious screaming.

    > Another factor is "a few more lenses". For many entry-level
    > SLR/DSLR users, they never own more than the kit lens the
    > cam came with. Lens lock-in never takes root at all.

    Many never get any more lenses, but I think a lot do get at least a
    telephoto.
    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 20, 2005
  15. "True211" <> wrote in message

    > I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
    > needed upgrade to the D100.

    They must be working on both, as well as a full frame professional model.
    They want to compete in every segment of the Digital SLR market. Nikon's
    problem is that they are behind Canon in sensor development, and sensor
    development is difficult and time consuming.

    Entry level: _______, Digital Rebel
    Consumer Level: D70, Digital Rebel XT
    Prosumer Level: _______, 20D
    Semi-Pro: D2x, 1D Mark II
    Pro: ________, 1Ds Mark II
    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 20, 2005
  16. Darrell

    Sheldon Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Niland" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The lock-in, of course, only works for people who upgrade
    >> bodies more often than the maker rolls lens generations.
    >> Alternatively, the maker can avoid unwise decisions about
    >> supporting legacy lens mounts.

    > Rolling of lens generations is pretty rare.
    >
    >> My DSLR was funded by selling of my collection of Canon
    >> A-1 and FD (mostly newFD) stuff. Because Canon deliberately
    >> designed the EF mount so that FD glass could not be made
    >> 100% adaptable to EOS cams, the loyalty factor was shot.

    > The FD mount couldn't take Canon into the professional film market, and an
    > adapter for manual mode was as far as they could go for adaptability. You
    > make it sound as if it would have been easy to get full compatibility
    > between FD lenses and EOS bodies. The FD stuff didn't stop working with FD
    > bodies simply because the EOS system was introduced. Getting mad because a
    > company comes out with new products that don't work with their old
    > products,
    > is ridiculous.
    >
    > Nikon has retained the F mount but not all older F mount lenses work on
    > newer F mount bodies. And the F mount has a lot of baggage that is hurting
    > Nikon right now. Because of the back focus distance, they can't do
    > something
    > similar to what Canon did with the EF-s lenses, to compensate for the crop
    > factor. Nikon is eventually going to have to replace the F mount, then
    > you'll hear some serious screaming.
    >
    >> Another factor is "a few more lenses". For many entry-level
    >> SLR/DSLR users, they never own more than the kit lens the
    >> cam came with. Lens lock-in never takes root at all.

    > Many never get any more lenses, but I think a lot do get at least a
    > telephoto.

    IMHO if the lens comes off your camera and can be replaced by another,
    you're now hooked. You will buy more lenses, at least that other cheap G
    lens if you have a D70, and may keep your old body to use as a second body.
    I think that's what some pros have done with the D70. When I worked
    professionally I always had two cameras around my neck.
    Sheldon, Feb 20, 2005
  17. Darrell

    > "True211" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm confused as to why they would work on a scaled-down D70 before a much
    >> needed upgrade to the D100.

    > They must be working on both, as well as a full frame professional model.
    > They want to compete in every segment of the Digital SLR market. Nikon's
    > problem is that they are behind Canon in sensor development, and sensor
    > development is difficult and time consuming.

    But, some of the most successful companies don't sit at the forefront of
    technology. They take a wait/see and then stomp the competition, which is
    exactly what Nikon did with the D70. And most people are extremely loyal to
    Nikon or Canon. They will wait for the Nikon, rather than switch to a new
    standard.
    Sheldon, Feb 20, 2005
  18. Darrell

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > IMHO if the lens comes off your camera and can be replaced by another,
    > you're now hooked. You will buy more lenses, at least that other cheap G
    > lens if you have a D70, and may keep your old body to use as a second
    > body. I think that's what some pros have done with the D70. When I worked
    > professionally I always had two cameras around my neck.

    Just curious, are you unclear on what the G means? They're not consumer
    lenses across the board. Some are, some are not. The G indicates it doesn't
    have an aperture ring, not the quality if the lens.

    For example, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens is a G lens. Do you consider it a
    consumer lens?

    I see this misconception repeatedly posted here.

    Tom
    Tom Scales, Feb 20, 2005
  19. "True211" <> wrote in

    > Nikon *did* file a TM for the D50 logo on Feb 8, 2005.

    That makes sense. I've been reading rumors like crazy about this
    camera...and I've seen some of the prototype pics too.

    For example, here is one of the pics-

    http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/d50.jpg

    Woodchuck Bill, Feb 20, 2005
  20. Darrell

    Sheldon Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    > "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> IMHO if the lens comes off your camera and can be replaced by another,
    >> you're now hooked. You will buy more lenses, at least that other cheap G
    >> lens if you have a D70, and may keep your old body to use as a second
    >> body. I think that's what some pros have done with the D70. When I
    >> worked professionally I always had two cameras around my neck.
    >>

    > Just curious, are you unclear on what the G means? They're not consumer
    > lenses across the board. Some are, some are not. The G indicates it
    > doesn't have an aperture ring, not the quality if the lens.
    >
    > For example, the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens is a G lens. Do you consider it a
    > consumer lens?
    >
    > I see this misconception repeatedly posted here.

    I was actually referring to that $100 zoom lens that picks up where the kit
    lens leaves off. You are correct, and sorry if I mislead anybody.
    Personally, I have a gaggle of Nikon lenses that go back to my old F, which
    is the reason I chose a Nikon DSLR over the Olympus or the Canon. I know
    there have been a lot of opinions on Nikon hanging onto that old lens
    mount, but I think that's been a smart marketing move on their part. I
    mean, I can still use 30 year old lenses that were great, and still are
    great, on a new camera with digital technology. Pretty cool, IMO.

    Sheldon
    Sheldon, Feb 20, 2005