    distortion before?

    -Greg

    , Aug 28, 2006

  2. Ben Brugman Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    > I'm having some trouble with blue and red shifts from my Nikon D50. I'm
    > not sure if 'shift' is the right word to describe the problem, but it
    > appears like the colors dont line up. Like one color is shifted away
    > from the others. In this example image, a blue shift is apparent in the
    > lower left of the picture.
    > http://gbookphotos.com/July 30, 2006 a/target0.html
    >
    > The color shift is much more apparent in other pictures I've taken. The
    > images are all taken using the default, and full auto mode of the
    > camera. It's also happened with more than one lens. I've used the same
    > lenses on a Nikon N75 with no problems. I'm wondering if its the
    > camera, the settings, or lens? Has anyone seen this type of color
    > distortion before?

    To me the shifting of colors is not apparant. Although I do see a bleu
    hase around the plastic I can not see this as a shift in position.
    The picture is unsharp, is taken at 1/200 of a sec on a 450 mm equivalent
    setting. So the apparent hase could be caused by an almost steady hand
    but just a small movement so a bit of the 'plastic' gives some light which
    appears to be a blue hase.

    To get a better judgement, you have to provide a better example.
    You could fotograph something dark with some highlights in the corner,
    use a high enough shutterspeet or use a tripod. Close the aperature
    one or two stops, so the lensabrations are less.
    So to detect colorshifting of the D50 try to exclude all other
    causes for color effects in the picture.

    Zooms, especially at the wide angle end are prone to chromatic
    abrations. This is where red en blue do sepparate, but this is a problem
    of the lens and not of a camera. And often this is only visible in high
    contrast situations. (For example tree branches in the corner of the
    picture against the sky. Or highlights in the corner of a picture).

    ben brugman

    Ben Brugman, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm having some trouble with blue and red shifts from my Nikon D50. I'm
    >not sure if 'shift' is the right word to describe the problem, but it
    >appears like the colors dont line up. Like one color is shifted away
    >from the others. In this example image, a blue shift is apparent in the
    >lower left of the picture.
    >http://gbookphotos.com/July 30, 2006 a/target0.html

    That image is out of focus or suffers from camera shake, so it's hard to
    judge what the problem is and what caused it. The only thing I see is a
    bit of halo effect from the blurred plastic bag.

    In fact, three of the four photos on your page are poorly focused. The
    only one with some decent sharpness is the second one of the cat with
    more scenery.

    >The color shift is much more apparent in other pictures I've taken.

    Can you post one of those images so we can see what you mean?

    Is it possible to also post them with a larger image size? The small
    images are lacking detail to study.

    > The
    >images are all taken using the default, and full auto mode of the
    >camera. It's also happened with more than one lens. I've used the same
    >lenses on a Nikon N75 with no problems. I'm wondering if its the
    >camera, the settings, or lens? Has anyone seen this type of color
    >distortion before?

    I think the problem might be user error.

    :)

    Try taking a picture in A mode and set the aperture to f/8 to get some
    more depth of field in the image. That will help eliminate focus issues
    since more of the scene will be in sharp focus.

    Make sure the scene is bright enough to allow a fast shutter speed as
    well, like 1/320 or better to make sure there is no blurring from camera
    shake.

    Bill, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Guest

    Ben Brugman wrote:
    > <> schreef in bericht
    > > I'm having some trouble with blue and red shifts from my Nikon D50. I'm
    > > not sure if 'shift' is the right word to describe the problem, but it
    > > appears like the colors dont line up. Like one color is shifted away
    > > from the others. In this example image, a blue shift is apparent in the
    > > lower left of the picture.
    > > http://gbookphotos.com/July 30, 2006 a/target0.html
    > >
    > > The color shift is much more apparent in other pictures I've taken. The
    > > images are all taken using the default, and full auto mode of the
    > > camera. It's also happened with more than one lens. I've used the same
    > > lenses on a Nikon N75 with no problems. I'm wondering if its the
    > > camera, the settings, or lens? Has anyone seen this type of color
    > > distortion before?

    > To me the shifting of colors is not apparant. Although I do see a bleu
    > hase around the plastic I can not see this as a shift in position.
    > The picture is unsharp, is taken at 1/200 of a sec on a 450 mm equivalent
    > setting. So the apparent hase could be caused by an almost steady hand
    > but just a small movement so a bit of the 'plastic' gives some light which
    > appears to be a blue hase.
    >
    > To get a better judgement, you have to provide a better example.
    > You could fotograph something dark with some highlights in the corner,
    > use a high enough shutterspeet or use a tripod. Close the aperature
    > one or two stops, so the lensabrations are less.
    > So to detect colorshifting of the D50 try to exclude all other
    > causes for color effects in the picture.
    >
    > Zooms, especially at the wide angle end are prone to chromatic
    > abrations. This is where red en blue do sepparate, but this is a problem
    > of the lens and not of a camera. And often this is only visible in high
    > contrast situations. (For example tree branches in the corner of the
    > picture against the sky. Or highlights in the corner of a picture).
    >

    > ben brugman
    >

    > > -Greg

    Here are some more sample pictures:

    http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0674.JPG - The lower left has some
    blue spots, and the grass on the right side has some color distortion
    as well.

    http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0702.JPG - The dark wires and the top
    of the flagpole have some distortion.

    http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0516.JPG - The fencing in the bottom
    left appears blue instead of black

    http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0012.JPG - The purple flower in the
    lower left has a blue shadow around it

    I hope its not a user issue! But that is something I can fix.

    -Greg

    , Aug 29, 2006
  5. Vladislav Guest

    Vladislav, Aug 29, 2006
  6. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > Ben Brugman wrote:
    >> <> schreef in bericht
    >>> I'm having some trouble with blue and red shifts from my Nikon D50. I'm
    >>> not sure if 'shift' is the right word to describe the problem, but it
    >>> appears like the colors dont line up. Like one color is shifted away
    >>> from the others. In this example image, a blue shift is apparent in the
    >>> lower left of the picture.
    >>> http://gbookphotos.com/July 30, 2006 a/target0.html
    >>>
    >>> The color shift is much more apparent in other pictures I've taken. The
    >>> images are all taken using the default, and full auto mode of the
    >>> camera. It's also happened with more than one lens. I've used the same
    >>> lenses on a Nikon N75 with no problems. I'm wondering if its the
    >>> camera, the settings, or lens? Has anyone seen this type of color
    >>> distortion before?

    >> To me the shifting of colors is not apparant. Although I do see a bleu
    >> hase around the plastic I can not see this as a shift in position.
    >> The picture is unsharp, is taken at 1/200 of a sec on a 450 mm equivalent
    >> setting. So the apparent hase could be caused by an almost steady hand
    >> but just a small movement so a bit of the 'plastic' gives some light which
    >> appears to be a blue hase.
    >>
    >> To get a better judgement, you have to provide a better example.
    >> You could fotograph something dark with some highlights in the corner,
    >> use a high enough shutterspeet or use a tripod. Close the aperature
    >> one or two stops, so the lensabrations are less.
    >> So to detect colorshifting of the D50 try to exclude all other
    >> causes for color effects in the picture.
    >>
    >> Zooms, especially at the wide angle end are prone to chromatic
    >> abrations. This is where red en blue do sepparate, but this is a problem
    >> of the lens and not of a camera. And often this is only visible in high
    >> contrast situations. (For example tree branches in the corner of the
    >> picture against the sky. Or highlights in the corner of a picture).
    >>

    >> ben brugman
    >>
    >>> -Greg
    >>>

    > Here are some more sample pictures:
    >
    > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0674.JPG - The lower left has some
    > blue spots, and the grass on the right side has some color distortion
    > as well.
    >
    > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0702.JPG - The dark wires and the top
    > of the flagpole have some distortion.
    >
    > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0516.JPG - The fencing in the bottom
    > left appears blue instead of black
    >
    > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0012.JPG - The purple flower in the
    > lower left has a blue shadow around it
    >
    > I hope its not a user issue! But that is something I can fix.
    >
    > -Greg

    It looks like bad CA to me - so called "purple fringing" as opposed to
    lateral CA. AFAIK, unlike lateral CA it is not so easy to fix in post
    processing - except by laborious methods.

    It is a user issue in that some consumer zooms (70-300 G, ED and Sigma
    APO) are not very good at 300mm, especially when used fully wide. EXIF
    data indicated that you used f5.7 - so assumed to be fully wide.
    If you don't want to see this in your images, then try stopping down the
    lens to f8 or smaller, try also to keep used focal length at 200mm or
    less. Alternative lenses that perform better at 300mm are expensive.

    frederick, Aug 29, 2006
  7. sid derra Guest

    "Vladislav" <> wrote in message
    > chromatic abberation is a problem of lens
    >
    > http://www.terekhoff.com

    vladislav got it right - there actually are some pretty effective ways to
    counteract and fix that in post processing, if you are familiar with the use
    of channels.

    sid

    sid derra, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Ben Brugman wrote:
    > >> <> schreef in bericht

    > >> To me the shifting of colors is not apparant. Although I do see a bleu
    > >> hase around the plastic I can not see this as a shift in position.
    > >> The picture is unsharp, is taken at 1/200 of a sec on a 450 mm equivalent
    > >> setting. So the apparent hase could be caused by an almost steady hand
    > >> but just a small movement so a bit of the 'plastic' gives some light which
    > >> appears to be a blue hase.
    > >>
    > >> To get a better judgement, you have to provide a better example.
    > >> You could fotograph something dark with some highlights in the corner,
    > >> use a high enough shutterspeet or use a tripod. Close the aperature
    > >> one or two stops, so the lensabrations are less.
    > >> So to detect colorshifting of the D50 try to exclude all other
    > >> causes for color effects in the picture.
    > >>
    > >> Zooms, especially at the wide angle end are prone to chromatic
    > >> abrations. This is where red en blue do sepparate, but this is a problem
    > >> of the lens and not of a camera. And often this is only visible in high
    > >> contrast situations. (For example tree branches in the corner of the
    > >> picture against the sky. Or highlights in the corner of a picture).
    > >>

    > >> ben brugman

    > > Here are some more sample pictures:
    > >
    > > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0674.JPG - The lower left has some
    > > blue spots, and the grass on the right side has some color distortion
    > > as well.
    > >
    > > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0702.JPG - The dark wires and the top
    > > of the flagpole have some distortion.
    > >
    > > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0516.JPG - The fencing in the bottom
    > > left appears blue instead of black
    > >
    > > http://gbookphotos.com/nikon/DSC_0012.JPG - The purple flower in the
    > > lower left has a blue shadow around it
    > >
    > > I hope its not a user issue! But that is something I can fix.
    > >
    > > -Greg
    > >

    > It looks like bad CA to me - so called "purple fringing" as opposed to
    > lateral CA. AFAIK, unlike lateral CA it is not so easy to fix in post
    > processing - except by laborious methods.
    >
    > It is a user issue in that some consumer zooms (70-300 G, ED and Sigma
    > APO) are not very good at 300mm, especially when used fully wide. EXIF
    > data indicated that you used f5.7 - so assumed to be fully wide.
    > If you don't want to see this in your images, then try stopping down the
    > lens to f8 or smaller, try also to keep used focal length at 200mm or
    > less. Alternative lenses that perform better at 300mm are expensive.

    Thanks for the tips. Upon searching for purple fringing, I came across
    this article:
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;154451015;fp;2;fpid;1585691688
    , which was extremely helpful in fixing my pictures. I also found a
    Photoshop plugin called PTLens which is good for fixing some chromatic
    abberation.

    Searching has also shown that CA is pretty common in digital cameras.
    Why is the case? I dont ever remember seeing it in the pictures taken
    with my Nikon N75, even with the same lenses. I was thinking maybe it
    was there in the film pictures, but I didn't have the resolution to see
    it clearly...

    thanks for the help!

    -Greg

    , Aug 29, 2006
  9. Ben Brugman Guest

    "frederick" <> schreef in bericht
    > wrote:
    >> Ben Brugman wrote:

    snip

    >>> To get a better judgement, you have to provide a better example.
    >>> You could fotograph something dark with some highlights in the corner,
    >>> use a high enough shutterspeet or use a tripod. Close the aperature
    >>> one or two stops, so the lensabrations are less.
    >>> So to detect colorshifting of the D50 try to exclude all other
    >>> causes for color effects in the picture.

    I did ask for some more information. But Frederick has allready responded
    to the 'new' information. And I do agree with the given answer.

    Ben

    Ben Brugman, Aug 29, 2006
  10. George K Guest

    Unlike film in which the image circle is projected onto the photo
    sensitive media, there additional filters and sensors above the photo
    sensor upon which the image circle is projected and then needs to be
    refocused through the IR, low pass filter, Bayer filter and boundaries
    of the photo sites to get to the photo sensitive sites. These
    additional filters add additional thickness which can add the
    opportunity for additional CA. For film the light just has to pass
    through the layers of the photo sensitive emulsion..

    http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/how/03.htm#From black and white to color

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.equipment.35mm/msg/7a2a62bd96211185?&q=digital lens design

    George K, Aug 29, 2006