    I plan to use only a few lenses, mainly tele or tele zoom, the higher the
    better (for birds, etc).
    Thanx!
    Sosumi, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Sosumi

    Clive Guest

    Sosumi wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I understand the D40x is not
    > capable of AF with older lenses? Are there other important differences that
    > justify the big price difference?
    > I plan to use only a few lenses, mainly tele or tele zoom, the higher the
    > better (for birds, etc).
    > Thanx!

    There are lot's of differences - see www.dpreview.com. But one of the
    most important when comparing the two - the D40X has no internal focus
    motor, so compatible lenses are restricted to AF-S and AF-I optics, all
    the other types will be manual focus only and also may not be able to
    utilise some of the more sophisticated metering options.

    Clive
    Clive, Aug 3, 2007

  3. Sosumi

    Roy Guest

    On Aug 3, 7:46 am, "Sosumi" <> wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I understand the D40x is not
    > capable of AF with older lenses? Are there other important differences that
    > justify the big price difference?

    There is already a currently active thread on this exact topic. Look
    for subject line "D80 vs D40(X)". Many differences are listed.
    Roy, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Sosumi wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I understand the D40x is
    > not capable of AF with older lenses? Are there other important
    > differences that justify the big price difference?
    > I plan to use only a few lenses, mainly tele or tele zoom, the higher
    > the better (for birds, etc).

    You must have missed the ongoing thread titled "D80 vs D40(x)".

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Sosumi

    Jim Guest

    "Sosumi" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I understand the D40x is not
    > capable of AF with older lenses? Are there other important differences
    > that justify the big price difference?

    Yes, that is a stated difference. Isn't that one fact enough?
    > I plan to use only a few lenses, mainly tele or tele zoom, the higher the
    > better (for birds, etc).
    > Thanx!

    Jim
    Jim, Aug 3, 2007
  6. "Sosumi" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I understand the D40x is not
    > capable of AF with older lenses? Are there other important differences
    > that justify the big price difference?

    There are quite a few differences, but whether they "justify the big price
    difference" depends on the user. If you're really interested, what you
    should do is read some of the many thorough online reviews of both cameras,
    rather than expect a newsgroup reply to completely satisfy your curiosity
    about this.

    I have the D40 (not x), D70s and D80. All of them are great. I especially
    like the D40 for its small size and light weight, which makes it much easier
    to carry around than the other two. But for someone else that might not be a
    factor at all. The D80 does have many improvements such as bigger and better
    viewfinder, more AF points, internal flash that can work in Commander mode,
    the ability to use AF with lenses that require the motor in the camera body
    (not just older lenses, but some new third-party lenses too), etc., etc. Any
    of these features may or may not have importance to you.

    > I plan to use only a few lenses, mainly tele or tele zoom, the higher the
    > better (for birds, etc).

    The D40/D40x combined with a lens like the 70-300mm VR Nikkor should be fine
    for that. By the time you really need a more capable camera (if you ever do)
    you'll know it, and by then there'll be newer and still more advanced models
    out anyway.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Aug 3, 2007