    someguy469 Guest

    Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    feedback would be great.

    someguy469, Nov 27, 2007

  2. someguy469 wrote:
    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase.
    > Any feedback would be great.

    Excellent camera and good quality pictures. I got mine with the kit
    18-55mm and the 55-200mm VR lens. Light, low-cost, good quality.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2007

  3. someguy469

    gs Guest

    On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > feedback would be great.

    I love it, nice to use and the battery life is amazing after using
    digital compacts that eat batteries I can go for ages without having
    to recharge; there's plenty of options to play with and it is simple
    to use - here's a picture I took this morning with its standard lens
    http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Eden-Misty-Morning-70794461
    (ignore the time and date - I'll set it one day) and here's one from a
    month or two ago trying some close up work
    http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Shortcuts-3-65348162 I may
    change to the D40x next year ;-)

    gs, Nov 27, 2007
  4. someguy469

    Malcolm Hoar Guest

    In article <klX2j.16711$ht1.3053@trndny01>, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    >Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    >feedback would be great.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

    | Gary Player. |
    | http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

    Malcolm Hoar, Nov 27, 2007
  5. In article <klX2j.16711$ht1.3053@trndny01>,
    "someguy469" <> wrote:

    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > feedback would be great.

    Bought one for my daughter to take pictures of her kids. She uses the
    55-200 VR lens and gets great action shots across a soccer field. No
    blur even with panning, detailed and sharp.

    This is a great camera. I think Nikon went to the D40x just to satisfy
    the mega pixel dummies.

    There is Nothing wrong with this camera.

    --
    Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.

    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    Ockham's Razor, Nov 27, 2007
  6. someguy469

    van Dark Guest

    gs napsal(a):
    > On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    >> Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    >> feedback would be great.

    > I love it, nice to use and the battery life is amazing after using
    > digital compacts that eat batteries I can go for ages without having
    > to recharge; there's plenty of options to play with and it is simple
    > to use - here's a picture I took this morning with its standard lens
    > http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Eden-Misty-Morning-70794461
    > (ignore the time and date - I'll set it one day) and here's one from a
    > month or two ago trying some close up work
    > http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Shortcuts-3-65348162 I may
    > change to the D40x next year ;-)

    EXIF for image:
    Picture
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D40
    Shutter Speed: 10/1250 second
    F Number: F/5.6
    Focal Length: 55 mm
    ISO Speed: 220
    Date Picture Taken: Jun 19, 2006, 2:46:04 AM

    van Dark, Nov 27, 2007
  7. someguy469

    Gatley Guest

    On Nov 27, 3:25 pm, van Dark <> wrote:
    > gs napsal(a):> On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    > >> Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > >> feedback would be great.

    > > I love it, nice to use and the battery life is amazing after using
    > > digital compacts that eat batteries I can go for ages without having
    > > to recharge; there's plenty of options to play with and it is simple
    > > to use - here's a picture I took this morning with its standard lens
    > >http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Eden-Misty-Morning-70794461
    > > (ignore the time and date - I'll set it one day) and here's one from a
    > > month or two ago trying some close up work
    > >http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Shortcuts-3-65348162I may
    > > change to the D40x next year ;-)

    > EXIF for image:
    > Picture
    > Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    > Model: NIKON D40
    > Shutter Speed: 10/1250 second
    > F Number: F/5.6
    > Focal Length: 55 mm
    > ISO Speed: 220
    > Date Picture Taken: Jun 19, 2006, 2:46:04 AM

    I would recommend the D70 if you can find one. The processor is much
    better and well, you'll get more bang for the buck. The D80 is
    probably out of your price range, but the 70 has been much cheaper
    with the 80's introduction.
    you can find a little more info here about the D40 vs the D70 or as
    always make sure to check the dpreview site:
    http://gatley.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-buy-your-first-digital-slr.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

    The D40 is still an awesome camera either way.

    -David
    http://gatley.blogspot.com

    Gatley, Nov 28, 2007
  8. someguy469

    gs Guest

    On 27 Nov, 23:25, van Dark <> wrote:
    > gs napsal(a):> On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    > >> Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > >> feedback would be great.

    > > I love it, nice to use and the battery life is amazing after using
    > > digital compacts that eat batteries I can go for ages without having
    > > to recharge; there's plenty of options to play with and it is simple
    > > to use - here's a picture I took this morning with its standard lens
    > >http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Eden-Misty-Morning-70794461
    > > (ignore the time and date - I'll set it one day) and here's one from a
    > > month or two ago trying some close up work
    > >http://graemeskinner.deviantart.com/art/Shortcuts-3-65348162I may
    > > change to the D40x next year ;-)

    > EXIF for image:
    > Picture
    > Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    > Model: NIKON D40
    > Shutter Speed: 10/1250 second
    > F Number: F/5.6
    > Focal Length: 55 mm
    > ISO Speed: 220
    > Date Picture Taken: Jun 19, 2006, 2:46:04 AM

    That's what I meant the date and time needing set, it was 27th Nov
    2007 around 0740hrs the second pic was mid morning - it's a while
    since I took any pics at 0246hrs though with a wireless remote the D40
    does take nice long exposures in the 'B' setting for star trails.

    gs, Nov 28, 2007
  9. someguy469

    Sosumi Guest

    "someguy469" <> wrote in message
    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > feedback would be great.

    By strange coincidence I have both the D40 (6 MP) and the D40x (10 MP). Both
    are outstanding and the kitlens is just about the best you can get,
    compaired with any other brands.
    Which one depends on what you plan to use it for. I print photos up to and
    over A4 (I think about Letter size) and for this I strongly recommend the
    D40x. The D40 is good enough for normal prints and the internet, but at
    larger size the D40x is absolutely better. Also you have more play when you
    want to crop pictures.

    Considering the small price gap, I would get the D40x. The noise levels are
    even better than the more expensive D80 and even the D200. Also the metering
    system is slightly better in high contrast situations.

    --
    "I don´t need a camera,
    I have a photographic memory..."

    Sosumi, Nov 28, 2007
  10. someguy469

    Roy G Guest

    "Sosumi" <> wrote in message
    > "someguy469" <> wrote in message
    >> Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    >> feedback would be great.

    > By strange coincidence I have both the D40 (6 MP) and the D40x (10 MP).
    > Both are outstanding and the kitlens is just about the best you can get,
    > compaired with any other brands.
    > Which one depends on what you plan to use it for. I print photos up to and
    > over A4 (I think about Letter size) and for this I strongly recommend the
    > D40x. The D40 is good enough for normal prints and the internet, but at
    > larger size the D40x is absolutely better. Also you have more play when
    > you want to crop pictures.
    >
    > Considering the small price gap, I would get the D40x. The noise levels
    > are even better than the more expensive D80 and even the D200. Also the
    > metering system is slightly better in high contrast situations.
    >
    > --
    > "I don´t need a camera,
    > I have a photographic memory..."
    > Sosumi

    Hi.

    I use a D70 (6Mp) and can easily get very good prints up to 16 inches wide,
    from NEF, almost all of the time.

    However a 10Mp would make this even easier, and one of these
    days...............

    Roy G

    Roy G, Nov 29, 2007
  11. someguy469

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:12:00 GMT, someguy469 wrote:

    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > feedback would be great.

    Great camera; one minor annoyance. The front element of the kit lens
    rotates during focusing, which is problematic when using a polarizing
    filter.

    Pete, Nov 29, 2007
  12. Pete wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:12:00 GMT, someguy469 wrote:
    >
    >> Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase.
    >> Any feedback would be great.

    > Great camera; one minor annoyance. The front element of the kit lens
    > rotates during focusing, which is problematic when using a polarizing
    > filter.

    I decided against a D40[x] and bought a D80 instead, mostly because I
    couldn't get my fingers sorted on the D40. It was just too small and there
    was always one finger left that didn't fit anywhere.
    Of course that's just me and your experience may be totally different, but
    what I strongly recommend is that you actually hold the camera and try a few
    dummy shots. It may have the greatest of features, but if it doesn't feel
    right in your own hands, then you won't be happy with it.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 29, 2007
  13. someguy469

    Leigh Guest

    On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > feedback would be great.

    I've had a D40X since June and I've found it to be very very very
    good. The only down side is the lens compatibility as it'll only work
    with a lens that has an inbuilt motor. I guess this will change as the
    lens manufacturers catch up.

    I've put the 18-70mm lens from my D70 which I've put on the D40X with
    the view of never taking it off to prevent sensor grott. The 18-55 I
    use on the D70 plus all my other AFD and manual lenses.

    I actually prefer it to the D70 mainly because of the extra megapixels
    so that any cropping still leaves a big count. I've found the user
    interface to be much better especially as you can change most of the
    important settings directly by pressing the + button.

    Leigh, Dec 8, 2007
  14. someguy469

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-11-27 16:59:50 -0800, Gatley <> said:

    > I would recommend the D70 if you can find one.

    IF. Finding one is not too difficult, but finding one in working
    condition is getting harder. The memory card reader is the first to go,
    which is kind of funny -- elderly cameras where the memory is the first
    to go.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Dec 8, 2007
  15. someguy469

    Leigh Guest

    On 8 Dec, 19:34, Leigh <> wrote:
    > On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    > > feedback would be great.

    > I've had a D40X since June and I've found it to be very very very
    > good. The only down side is the lens compatibility as it'll only work
    > with a lens that has an inbuilt motor. I guess this will change as the
    > lens manufacturers catch up.
    >
    > I've put the 18-70mm lens from my D70 which I've put on the D40X with
    > the view of never taking it off to prevent sensor grott. The 18-55 I
    > use on the D70 plus all my other AFD and manual lenses.
    >
    > I actually prefer it to the D70 mainly because of the extra megapixels
    > so that any cropping still leaves a big count. I've found the user
    > interface to be much better especially as you can change most of the
    > important settings directly by pressing the + button.

    Sorry I meant I prefer the D40X.

    Senior moment.

    Leigh, Dec 9, 2007
  16. someguy469

    Rod Out back Guest

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:23:05 -0800 (PST), Leigh <>
    wrote:

    >On 8 Dec, 19:34, Leigh <> wrote:
    >> On 27 Nov, 16:12, "someguy469" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Any D40 owners out there. I am considering this camera for purchase. Any
    >> > feedback would be great.

    >> I've had a D40X since June and I've found it to be very very very
    >> good. The only down side is the lens compatibility as it'll only work
    >> with a lens that has an inbuilt motor. I guess this will change as the
    >> lens manufacturers catch up.
    >>
    >> I've put the 18-70mm lens from my D70 which I've put on the D40X with
    >> the view of never taking it off to prevent sensor grott. The 18-55 I
    >> use on the D70 plus all my other AFD and manual lenses.
    >>
    >> I actually prefer it to the D70 mainly because of the extra megapixels
    >> so that any cropping still leaves a big count. I've found the user
    >> interface to be much better especially as you can change most of the
    >> important settings directly by pressing the + button.

    >Sorry I meant I prefer the D40X.
    >
    >Senior moment.

    I bought a D40X in September, while my D200 was in surgery (gravity attack off a
    tripod), and havent regretted it for a moment. I had considered a D80 instead,
    but there didnt seem to be enough offered for the huge price difference between
    D80 & D40X. My Tamron 90mm macro lens wont AF with the D40X, but it's a simple
    lens to work in manual mode, anyway. It meters just fine; just no AF.

    Since the return of the D200 from intensive care, I find I leave the 18-200VR
    lens on the D40X, and keep the D200 for using with the macro. I will revise
    this when I get around to replacing the lens that got smashed, but I seriously
    doubt I'll ever regret buying the D40X. I thought it would be a simple backup
    camera that spends most of it's life in the bag, but I find I use it a lot. AND,
    it takes some great pics.

    The D200 is a great camera, but the D40X has performed beyond my expectations
    for a budget DSLR.
    VERY happy with it.

    -------

    Cheers,

    Rod...Out Back

    For a round-up of the pics I have taken the past 24 months,
    take a look at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rod_outback/

    -------

    Rod Out back, Dec 10, 2007