Nikon D40 White Balance

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Trying for the first time with my new D40 to pre-set the White
    Balance, sumpin's goin' wrong.

    Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. With the camera set to "A" or
    "M", filling the whole screen with either a gray card or white card,
    it sometimes works and sometimes say "Unable...please try again".

    I'm shooting close-ups, but not macros, on a cloth-draped table. I'm
    outdoors out of direct sunlight to avoid shadows and moving the table
    to different spots as the sunlight changes. The sun today is going in
    and out of clouds and the shadows change so I move the object.

    I captured one series just fine. Then moved the table and got the
    "Unable" message.

    The pix aren't bad, but I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 11, 2008

  2. tony cooper

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > The pix aren't bad, but I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

    Shoot RAW!

    Mr. Strat, Jan 11, 2008

  3. tony cooper

    skip Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > Trying for the first time with my new D40 to pre-set the White
    > Balance, sumpin's goin' wrong.
    >
    > Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. With the camera set to "A" or
    > "M", filling the whole screen with either a gray card or white card,
    > it sometimes works and sometimes say "Unable...please try again".

    I can't think of a reason why moving a table to avoid a shadow would have
    any effect on your ability to pre-set your white balance.

    You mentioned this problem sometime happens with the camera set to "A" or
    "M". I've never used a D40, but if I had to take a wild guess I'd say when
    you are in "A" (presumed to be Automatic) you are automatic (point & shoot)
    all the way and therefore limited to auto white balance. But in "M"
    (presumed to be Manual) you are able to manually pre-set a custom white
    balance.

    skip, Jan 11, 2008
  4. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "skip" <> wrote in message

    > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> Trying for the first time with my new D40 to pre-set the White
    >> Balance, sumpin's goin' wrong.
    >>
    >> Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. With the camera set to "A" or
    >> "M", filling the whole screen with either a gray card or white card,
    >> it sometimes works and sometimes say "Unable...please try again".
    >>

    > I can't think of a reason why moving a table to avoid a shadow would have
    > any effect on your ability to pre-set your white balance.
    >
    > You mentioned this problem sometime happens with the camera set to "A" or
    > "M". I've never used a D40, but if I had to take a wild guess I'd say
    > when you are in "A" (presumed to be Automatic) you are automatic (point &
    > shoot) all the way and therefore limited to auto white balance. But in
    > "M" (presumed to be Manual) you are able to manually pre-set a custom
    > white balance.

    With Nikons "A" means aperture priority. If you want to use program mode
    put the camera into "P" mode. However, neither mode should affect the white
    balance adjustment.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jan 11, 2008
  5. skip wrote:

    > I can't think of a reason why moving a table to avoid a shadow would
    > have any effect on your ability to pre-set your white balance.

    I can. He's overexposing and overloading the sensor. He'll need to stop
    the lens down or move out of the direct sunlight. A simple solution for him
    is to put the lens in "M" and hold the card about a 12" from the lens front.
    There's no need to focus for setting WB. Works every time.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2008
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:49:43 -0500, "Rita Berkowitz"
    <> wrote:

    >skip wrote:
    >
    >> I can't think of a reason why moving a table to avoid a shadow would
    >> have any effect on your ability to pre-set your white balance.

    >I can. He's overexposing and overloading the sensor. He'll need to stop
    >the lens down or move out of the direct sunlight. A simple solution for him
    >is to put the lens in "M" and hold the card about a 12" from the lens front.
    >There's no need to focus for setting WB. Works every time.

    You know, Rita, you take a lot of flack here and in the other groups
    where I see your posts. Undeserved, I think. I can't see why other
    people don't understand you're just having fun. We're all in
    newsgroups to suit our own needs, and your need is have a few laughs,
    posts a few pictures (good ones, I think), and to tweak the noses of
    those who need a pokerectomy. Or is it "pokerotomy" when the poker
    needs to be removed? (Checked: it's -ectomy.)

    Yeah, you're right. I had the f-stop too open for the light. For the
    other posters..."M" is manual aperture and shutter on the D40, "A" is
    aperture priority, and I'll shoot RAW when I'm damned good and ready.

    On the D40, you put down the card so the card fills the view and push
    the shutter release. No focus is necessary and no image is taken.

    I do wish you'd stop writing "LOL", though. Anyone you have to tell
    that you're laughing isn't going to understand anyway.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jan 11, 2008
  7. tony cooper

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:49:43 -0500, "Rita Berkowitz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> skip wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't think of a reason why moving a table to avoid a shadow would
    >>> have any effect on your ability to pre-set your white balance.

    >> I can. He's overexposing and overloading the sensor. He'll need to stop
    >> the lens down or move out of the direct sunlight. A simple solution for him
    >> is to put the lens in "M" and hold the card about a 12" from the lens front.
    >> There's no need to focus for setting WB. Works every time.
    >>

    > You know, Rita, you take a lot of flack here and in the other groups
    > where I see your posts. Undeserved, I think. I can't see why other
    > people don't understand you're just having fun. We're all in
    > newsgroups to suit our own needs, and your need is have a few laughs,
    > posts a few pictures (good ones, I think), and to tweak the noses of
    > those who need a pokerectomy. Or is it "pokerotomy" when the poker
    > needs to be removed? (Checked: it's -ectomy.)
    >
    > Yeah, you're right. I had the f-stop too open for the light. For the
    > other posters..."M" is manual aperture and shutter on the D40, "A" is
    > aperture priority, and I'll shoot RAW when I'm damned good and ready.
    >
    > On the D40, you put down the card so the card fills the view and push
    > the shutter release. No focus is necessary and no image is taken.
    >
    > I do wish you'd stop writing "LOL", though. Anyone you have to tell
    > that you're laughing isn't going to understand anyway.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Although article is dated the topic isn't

    http://www.bythom.com/graycards.htm

    --
    >G< ©

    >G, Jan 11, 2008
  8. tony cooper

    Peter Guest

    "">G< ©"" <> wrote in message
    > tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:49:43 -0500, "Rita Berkowitz"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I can. He's overexposing and overloading the sensor. He'll need to
    >>> stop
    >>> the lens down or move out of the direct sunlight. A simple solution for
    >>> him
    >>> is to put the lens in "M" and hold the card about a 12" from the lens
    >>> front.
    >>> There's no need to focus for setting WB. Works every time.
    >>>

    >> You know, Rita, you take a lot of flack here and in the other groups
    >> where I see your posts. Undeserved, I think. I can't see why other
    >> people don't understand you're just having fun. We're all in
    >> newsgroups to suit our own needs, and your need is have a few laughs,
    >> posts a few pictures (good ones, I think), and to tweak the noses of
    >> those who need a pokerectomy. Or is it "pokerotomy" when the poker
    >> needs to be removed? (Checked: it's -ectomy.)
    >>
    >> Yeah, you're right. I had the f-stop too open for the light. For the
    >> other posters..."M" is manual aperture and shutter on the D40, "A" is
    >> aperture priority, and I'll shoot RAW when I'm damned good and ready.
    >>
    >> On the D40, you put down the card so the card fills the view and push
    >> the shutter release. No focus is necessary and no image is taken. I do
    >> wish you'd stop writing "LOL", though. Anyone you have to tell
    >> that you're laughing isn't going to understand anyway. --
    >>
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > Although article is dated the topic isn't
    >
    > http://www.bythom.com/graycards.htm

    IRC 18% grey was used to calibrate and check meters, not color. Those of us
    who couldn't afford a grey card used grass or the back of one's hand.

    A Shirley card was used to make color adjustments in the darkroom.

    http://tinyurl.com/3dmt3t

    However, in the digital age we started to use lenna as the standard. (Kodak
    was too stodgy)

    the story of lenna. For those with real curiosity, lenna was a Playboy
    centerfold model, circa 1978.
    the full story is at:
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~chuck/lennapg/lenna.shtml

    I apologize to anyone offended by this minor, but on point, diversion.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jan 11, 2008
  9. "tony cooper" <> wrote:

    > You know, Rita, you take a lot of flack here and in the other groups
    > where I see your posts. Undeserved, I think. I can't see why other
    > people don't understand you're just having fun. We're all in
    > newsgroups to suit our own needs, and your need is have a few laughs,
    > posts a few pictures (good ones, I think), and to tweak the noses of
    > those who need a pokerectomy. Or is it "pokerotomy" when the poker
    > needs to be removed? (Checked: it's -ectomy.)

    Thank you, Tony. You know me, I don't take any of this seriously, life is
    too short and I'm having way too much fun. Trust me, I'm not going empower
    negative people and let them bring me down.

    > Yeah, you're right. I had the f-stop too open for the light. For the
    > other posters..."M" is manual aperture and shutter on the D40, "A" is
    > aperture priority, and I'll shoot RAW when I'm damned good and ready.

    Once you get the hang of these little tidbits you'll quickly find out how
    powerful that camera is and you'll be "getting it right" in-camera and
    screwing around less in post processing. Google up White Balance and you'll
    find some really interesting ways of setting WB without carrying the card.

    > I do wish you'd stop writing "LOL", though. Anyone you have to tell
    > that you're laughing isn't going to understand anyway.

    I know, but sometimes you have to spell it out for the humor challenged
    individuals.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2008