Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jan 6, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Posted without comment:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

    Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    format.


    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm

    Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
    its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
    lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
    focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
    features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
    can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
    available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.
    Bruce, Jan 6, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    []
    > Now that is impressive!
    > My only regrets are, it is waaay more camera than my over-ambitious ego
    > needs to serve out my retirement, and my wallet, which could not justify
    > a D3s, has forbidden me from even considering such a purchase.
    > So I will have to remain content with my D300s, a lottery win, not
    > withstanding.

    []
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck


    Yes, it's not a camera I will be lusting after! Far too big and heavy for
    my needs, but I will be interested in the reviews. Had not heard of the
    XQD memory card format before - I see Sony have one of the first.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-5...ches-first-xqd-cards-step-aside-compactflash/

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 6, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    On Jan 6, 12:01 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Posted without comment:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    >
    > Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    > full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    > full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    > D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    > that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    > an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    > sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    > Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    > and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    > low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    > also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    > format.



    They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that camera
    will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller and
    smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. I guess
    they couldn't get the XQD technology into an SD body?
    RichA, Jan 6, 2012
    #3
  4. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

    > On 2012-01-05 21:01:19 -0800, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> Posted without comment:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    >>
    >> Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    >> full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    >> full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    >> D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    >> that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    >> an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    >> sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    >> Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    >> and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    >> low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    >> also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    >> format.

    >
    > Now that is impressive!
    > My only regrets are, it is waaay more camera than my over-ambitious
    > ego needs to serve out my retirement, and my wallet, which could not
    > justify a D3s, has forbidden me from even considering such a purchase.
    > So I will have to remain content with my D300s, a lottery win, not
    > withstanding.


    Yes, there's lots of great stuff. Including one of the "obvious" ideas
    that nobody has done all these years, that's simple software: you can
    now set the minimum shutter speed to cause auto-ISO increase in terms of
    the focal length of the mounted lens, including offsets (if you think
    you can hold more or less well than default 1/length).

    I don't anticipate ever buying one either. By top pro DSLR standards
    it's not exceptionally expensive -- but I'm not a top pro (or any other
    sort).

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm
    >>
    >> Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
    >> its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
    >> lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
    >> focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
    >> features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
    >> can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
    >> available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.

    >
    > Nice, and it remained quite affordable.


    Huh; I'm using an old 85/1.8 AF, and that cost $250 (used); so indeed,
    not a high price for a newly-release AF-S lens.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 6, 2012
    #4
  5. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 05:22:02 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Jan 6, 12:01 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    : > Posted without comment:
    : >
    : > http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    : >
    : > Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    : > full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    : > full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    : > D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    : > that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    : > an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    : > sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    : > Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    : > and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    : > low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    : > also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    : > format.
    :
    :
    : They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that camera
    : will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller and
    : smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. ...

    Nonsense.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 6, 2012
    #5
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 05:22:02 -0800 (PST), RichA

    <> wrote:
    > : They better hope the XQD amounts to something, otherwise that

    camera
    > : will have two slots for memory (QXD and CF) served by a smaller

    and
    > : smaller offering. We may see the demise of CF this year. ...
    >
    >
    > Nonsense.



    I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the
    same support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.
    Bruce, Jan 6, 2012
    #6
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > 16GB = $129
    > 32GB = $229



    Eek!


    > I believe CF will live on a while longer.



    Absolutely. I wonder if Nikon will offer a conversion to 2 x CF.
    Bruce, Jan 7, 2012
    #7
  8. Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    On 1/6/12 PDT 4:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-01-06 15:55:57 -0800, Bruce <> said:
    >>
    >> I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the same
    >> support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.

    >
    > 16GB = $129
    > 32GB = $229
    > I believe CF will live on a while longer.
    > Does any body remember that legendary Sony recording medium Betamax?


    Oh, yes. Good technology trumped by marketing.

    As to CF cards- since my new MacBook Air has an SD slot, it'd be nice if
    there were a CF adaptor that'd hold SD cards (I already have an adaptor
    SD-mini or micro SD). Can someone recommend a brand?
    John McWilliams, Jan 7, 2012
    #8
  9. David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 7, 2012
    #9
  10. Re: Nikon D4 announced! Also AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

    John McWilliams <> writes:

    > On 1/6/12 PDT 4:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-01-06 15:55:57 -0800, Bruce <> said:
    >>>
    >>> I tend to agree. I am yet to be convinced that XQD will have the same
    >>> support in the marketplace as Compact Flash.

    >>
    >> 16GB = $129
    >> 32GB = $229
    >> I believe CF will live on a while longer.
    >> Does any body remember that legendary Sony recording medium Betamax?

    >
    > Oh, yes. Good technology trumped by marketing.
    >
    > As to CF cards- since my new MacBook Air has an SD slot, it'd be nice
    > if there were a CF adaptor that'd hold SD cards (I already have an
    > adaptor SD-mini or micro SD). Can someone recommend a brand?


    I went through this trying to get an Eye-Fi card working in my D700. So
    far as I can tell, a type-1 CF adatper that holds SD can't be built --
    there isn't sufficient thickness. A type-2 adapter is possible, but my
    D700 and the D4 don't support the thicker version.

    You could probably do one for micro-sd -- but that doesn't help me with
    Eye-Fi.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 7, 2012
    #10
  11. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > Posted without comment:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    >
    > Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    > full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    > full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    > D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    > that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    > an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    > sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    > Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    > and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    > low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    > also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    > format.


    Apart from the 1080p mode, I don't really see a really compelling
    reason to get a D4 to replace my D3s, and I'm eagerly awaiting
    comparisons between this and the Canona 1DX, especially in high ISO.

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm
    >
    > Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
    > its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
    > lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
    > focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
    > features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
    > can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
    > available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.


    So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?

    The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    can't figure out why?


    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jan 11, 2012
    #11
  12. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Sandman <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    >> Posted without comment:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched
    >>
    >> Nikon has announced the D4, its latest professional DSLR. The 16MP
    >> full-frame camera is capable of shooting at 10 frames per second with
    >> full autofocus. In addition to a host of ergonomic improvements, the
    >> D4 also sees the expansion of its video capabilities, to the extent
    >> that Nikon is describing it as a 'multi-media DSLR.' The cameras gains
    >> an Ethernet port, a 91,000 pixel metering sensor and an uprated AF
    >> sensor that can work in lower light and with smaller aperture lenses.
    >> Its sensitivity range can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 204,800
    >> and adds illuminated controls to make it easier to work in the
    >> low-light situations in which such a setting becomes useful. The D4
    >> also becomes the first camera to make use of the XQD memory card
    >> format.

    >
    >Apart from the 1080p mode, I don't really see a really compelling
    >reason to get a D4 to replace my D3s, and I'm eagerly awaiting
    >comparisons between this and the Canona 1DX, especially in high ISO.
    >
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/Nikon_Nikkor_AFS85mm
    >>
    >> Nikon has launched the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G, an updated version of
    >> its popular moderate telephoto prime lens. The AF-S version of the
    >> lens is a completely new optical design and features a built-in
    >> focusing motor to allow it to autofocus on all Nikon DSLRs. The lens
    >> features an internal focus design and 7 rounded aperture blades. It
    >> can focus down to a distance of 80cm (2.6ft). The lens will be
    >> available from March 2012 for a price of around $499.

    >
    >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    >
    >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    >can't figure out why?



    The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.
    Bruce, Jan 11, 2012
    #12
  13. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    > >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    > >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    > >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    > >
    > >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    > >can't figure out why?

    >
    > The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.


    Right, but is the ED glass the difference of price? I.e. would ED
    glass really be more than three times as expensive?




    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jan 11, 2012
    #13
  14. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Sandman <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    >> >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    >> >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    >> >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    >> >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    >> >
    >> >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    >> >can't figure out why?

    >>
    >> The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.

    >
    >Right, but is the ED glass the difference of price? I.e. would ED
    >glass really be more than three times as expensive?



    No, I was merely pointing out that the gold ring means "ED".

    The 85mm f/1.4 is a superlative lens, with ED glass, aspheric surfaces
    and exotic anti-reflection coating. It is also an f/1.4 lens which
    makes it significantly more expensive.

    The 85mm f/1.8 has always been a much cheaper option for those who
    cannot afford the f/1.4, or do not want to tote such a heavy lens.
    Bruce, Jan 11, 2012
    #14
  15. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > Sandman <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Bruce <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    > >> >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    > >> >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    > >> >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    > >> >
    > >> >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    > >> >can't figure out why?
    > >>
    > >> The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.

    > >
    > >Right, but is the ED glass the difference of price? I.e. would ED
    > >glass really be more than three times as expensive?

    >
    >
    > No, I was merely pointing out that the gold ring means "ED".
    >
    > The 85mm f/1.4 is a superlative lens, with ED glass, aspheric surfaces
    > and exotic anti-reflection coating. It is also an f/1.4 lens which
    > makes it significantly more expensive.
    >
    > The 85mm f/1.8 has always been a much cheaper option for those who
    > cannot afford the f/1.4, or do not want to tote such a heavy lens.


    Ok, so basically that one f-stop makes it three times as expensive.
    Maybe it's just me that's having a hard time wrapping my head around
    the difference. :)


    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jan 12, 2012
    #15
  16. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > Sandman <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > > Bruce <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    > >> >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    > >> >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    > >> >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    > >> >
    > >> >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    > >> >can't figure out why?
    > >>
    > >> The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.

    > >
    > >Right, but is the ED glass the difference of price? I.e. would ED
    > >glass really be more than three times as expensive?

    >
    > That would be one out of many causes for the price
    > difference.
    >
    > Lenses are a long list of compromises... more here or
    > less there. With a lens like the 85mm f/1.4G every
    > compromise is intended at producing better performance.
    > If it requires a more difficult and expensive method
    > produce certain lense elements, they do it anyway if it
    > means higher performance. In the end, no expense is
    > spared to get the performance target the design set out
    > to accomplish. And the $1800 price tag, as well as the
    > specifications for resolution and low distortion, show it.
    >
    > On the other hand, the 85mm f/1.8G has a much lower
    > performance target, and compromises that result in less
    > expensive elements, diaphragm, and the assembly process
    > were chosen over more expensive alternatives. The lower
    > price, and the lower performance, are a reflection of
    > that.


    Sure, I can buy that, more or less. The 1.4 is just a higher quality
    lens throughout the entire build. Thus, more expensive. Of course,
    that's something I would have assumed myself as well, but I was still
    dumbstruck at the relative small differences in specs and the huge
    difference in price.

    > For the photographer it comes down to what are your
    > needs? If you are very happy with your D80 camera,
    > perhaps a lens that is sharp enough in the corners to
    > not limit the performance of the rumored D800 FX 36MP
    > camera is of absolutely no benefit whatever. The 85mm
    > f/1.8G is a super lens on a D80! But for anyone
    > considering a 36 MP FX body, the 85mm f/1.4G is a much
    > better choice. For those in between it isn't nearly
    > that cut and dried, and deciding which to purchase may
    > be a bit of work.


    Yes, the 1.4G is *wonderful* on my D3s, love it to bits. I just saw
    the 1.8G and felt I had to know why I paid more than three times that
    for the lens :)



    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jan 12, 2012
    #16
  17. Bruce

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > Sandman <> wrote:
    > >Yes, the 1.4G is *wonderful* on my D3s, love it to bits. I just saw
    > >the 1.8G and felt I had to know why I paid more than three times that
    > >for the lens :)

    >
    > You have more opportunity than most to actually see the
    > differences. With a DX body the sharper edges of the
    > 1.4 lens are not used. And the isolation of the
    > background provided by the narrower DOF is more apparent
    > with an FX body.
    >
    > I haven't used either of the new lenses, but do own both
    > the 85mm f/1.8D and 85mm f/1.4D (and have used both on
    > FX and DX bodies too). I'm not sure if the same
    > comparison is valid for the newer G lenses, but the
    > bokeh produced by the original 85mm f/1.4D is far far
    > better than that produced by the f/1.8D version.


    Indeed. Not to mention when compared to the older 85mm 1.4D:

    <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=39064364
    >


    That's horrible Bokeh comnpared to the 1.4G so there is no doubt that
    the 1.4G is an outstanding piece of quality glass.

    > With the older versions there isn't much that is
    > particularly special about the f/1.8 lens, while the
    > f/1.4 is just exceedingly special. The main reason for
    > owning the f/1.4 is because of it's special
    > characteristics. The main reason for owning the f/1.8
    > version is the low price.


    Agreed :) Again, I just got stumped on the enormous price difference :)




    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jan 12, 2012
    #17
  18. Sandman <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sandman <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > Bruce <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> >So, uh, apart from the aperture, what's the difference between this
    >> >> >one and my AFS 85/f1.4G? It costs about a third of the f1.4 one, and
    >> >> >it is considerably smaller. The nano-coating? The fact that the 1.4
    >> >> >one has two more diaphragm blades or one more optic element?
    >> >> >
    >> >> >The 1.4 is a Nikon gold ring, the 1.8 is not. Am I the only one that
    >> >> >can't figure out why?
    >> >>
    >> >> The f/1.4 has a gold ring because it is an ED lens. The f/1.8 is not.
    >> >
    >> >Right, but is the ED glass the difference of price? I.e. would ED
    >> >glass really be more than three times as expensive?

    >>
    >>
    >> No, I was merely pointing out that the gold ring means "ED".
    >>
    >> The 85mm f/1.4 is a superlative lens, with ED glass, aspheric surfaces
    >> and exotic anti-reflection coating. It is also an f/1.4 lens which
    >> makes it significantly more expensive.
    >>
    >> The 85mm f/1.8 has always been a much cheaper option for those who
    >> cannot afford the f/1.4, or do not want to tote such a heavy lens.

    >
    > Ok, so basically that one f-stop makes it three times as expensive.
    > Maybe it's just me that's having a hard time wrapping my head around
    > the difference. :)


    Little new about this; From a scan of a 1986 Adorama ad I happen to have
    handy, the Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS cost $62.50, the f/1.4 cost $163.95, the
    f/1.2 cost $247.95, and the 58mm f/1.2 NOCT cost $799.95.

    The 85/2 was $209.95, the 85/1.4 was $444.95.

    Adding a stop makes the elements a lot bigger (um, twice as big,
    specifically), and yet they have to be manufactured and assembled to the
    same tolerances. That's going to run the costs -- especially since the
    normal mainstream lens specs are chosen partly by price point. Going up
    from there is getting into the region where it's worse than linear.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 12, 2012
    #18
  19. On 1/12/2012 9:54 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >
    > Adding a stop makes the elements a lot bigger (um, twice as big,
    > specifically),


    Uh .... not for all lenses. Yes, it does for long telephoto
    lenses, you know, the big white ones from Canon (or Nikon black equivalent).

    That's because, wide open, the apparent aperture, seen from the
    front, is almost the whole lens element, for long teles.

    But now look at your 24mm f/2.8 lens ... the apparent
    aperture does not anywhere near fill the front glass element.

    For the latter lenses, making one faster typically
    makes the lens as a whole lots more complex, but generally
    does not make the big front elements twice the diameter
    (they may get bigger, but not twice).

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Jan 12, 2012
    #19
  20. > Adding a stop makes the elements a lot bigger (um, twice as big,
    > specifically), and yet they have to be manufactured and assembled to the
    > same tolerances. That's going to run the costs -- especially since the
    > normal mainstream lens specs are chosen partly by price point. Going up
    > from there is getting into the region where it's worse than linear.
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/


    In addition to Doug's comments, with an f/1.4 lens, the elements as well
    as being bigger may have to be assembled to /closer/ tolerances.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ronnie Sellar

    Kodak DCSpro 14N and Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8D

    Ronnie Sellar, Jul 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    613
    Ronnie Sellar
    Jul 23, 2003
  2. Gary Mattingly

    Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS

    Gary Mattingly, Feb 20, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    7,627
  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR vs. Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 17, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    794
  4. Brian

    FS - Nikon 28-85mm Zoom Nikkor AI-S lens - $300

    Brian, Jul 23, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    624
    Brian
    Jul 23, 2007
  5. Sandman

    Disappointed at the Nikkor 85mm f1.4/G

    Sandman, Dec 13, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    335
    Sandman
    Dec 17, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page