Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x already in prototype

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype! Compared
    to the D3x, it's a no-brainer as to which is best. D700x has the same
    sensor,
    same AF, marginally less VF coverage, slightly slower shooting rate (4.5
    fps
    /6 fps in DX mode), smaller/lighter body (till you add the D700's
    battpack),
    same lowlight performance (like the D3x, iq is no good above 1600 ISO - if
    you need high speed, D3/D700 is the way to go), slightly slower bootup
    time,
    almost the same lens compatibility - and an extra $4000+ in your pocket.

    D3x can never sell in this economic climate, so I recommend Nikon roll out
    the D700x now. That will probably mean the end of Canon DSLRs forever.
    Their
    shit latest version of the 5D was inferior to the D700, let alone the
    D700x.
    I am sick of seeing all those cream lenses at sporting events. Nikon always
    had them beat lens-wise. The last good Canon camera was the A-1, and even
    it wasn't reliable if the air got damp. Nikon, OTOH, have produced a superb
    range of cameras, what is it now - all winners or best-in-class: S3, SP, F,
    F2, F2A, F2AS, F2B, FTN, FM, F3, FG, FA, F4, F5, F6 (kinda), D3, D700.
    RichA, Dec 10, 2008

  2. RichA

    SMS Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype!

    You knew this would happen. Nikon got blindsided by Canon's 5D Mark II
    which is far superior to the the D700. Alas, not sure if the D700x will
    help Nikon all that much at the high end at this point in time. What
    Nikon really needs to compete at the high end is a whole new line of
    lenses that can match the high quality of Canon's BWLs (big white
    lenses). Until Nikon comes out with a fluorite lens, they'll be unable
    to make much headway at the high end.
    SMS, Dec 10, 2008

  3. RichA

    Mark Thomas Guest

    rpds-s would have sufficed unless you are just attention seeking.

    (sees poster name)
    oh..

    Mark Thomas, Dec 10, 2008
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <dVI%k.6340$>, SMS
    <> wrote:

    > RichA wrote:
    > > Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype!

    > You knew this would happen.

    it hasn't happened yet. it's a *rumour*.

    > Nikon got blindsided by Canon's 5D Mark II
    > which is far superior to the the D700.

    in some ways yes, in other ways no.

    > Alas, not sure if the D700x will
    > help Nikon all that much at the high end at this point in time. What
    > Nikon really needs to compete at the high end is a whole new line of
    > lenses that can match the high quality of Canon's BWLs (big white
    > lenses). Until Nikon comes out with a fluorite lens, they'll be unable
    > to make much headway at the high end.

    we've been through this before. both companies make excellent lenses
    and flourite is not a requirement.
    nospam, Dec 10, 2008
  5. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:22:30 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <dVI%k.6340$>, SMS
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> RichA wrote:
    >> > Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype!

    >> You knew this would happen.

    >it hasn't happened yet. it's a *rumour*.
    >
    >> Nikon got blindsided by Canon's 5D Mark II
    >> which is far superior to the the D700.

    >in some ways yes, in other ways no.
    >
    >> Alas, not sure if the D700x will
    >> help Nikon all that much at the high end at this point in time. What
    >> Nikon really needs to compete at the high end is a whole new line of
    >> lenses that can match the high quality of Canon's BWLs (big white
    >> lenses). Until Nikon comes out with a fluorite lens, they'll be unable
    >> to make much headway at the high end.

    >we've been through this before. both companies make excellent lenses
    >and flourite is not a requirement.

    .... unless you are making bread for Superman.

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Dec 10, 2008
  6. RichA

    Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dVI%k.6340$>, SMS
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> RichA wrote:
    >> > Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype!

    >> You knew this would happen.

    > it hasn't happened yet. it's a *rumour*.

    Now don't you bring facts into a debate started by Richard Anderson, all his
    "insider info" comes from $10/hour Toronto Henry's salesdroids.

    Camera sales people are either failed photographers, or wannabees
    , Dec 10, 2008
  7. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Dec 10, 9:38 am, "" <> wrote:
    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:091220082322305860%...> In article <dVI%k.6340$>, SMS
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> You knew this would happen.

    > > it hasn't happened yet. it's a *rumour*.

    > Now don't you bring facts into a debate started by Richard Anderson, all his
    > "insider info" comes from $10/hour Toronto Henry's salesdroids.
    >
    > Camera sales people are either failed photographers, or wannabees

    Sorry, but some freak hijacked my name. I did not post that Nikon
    rumour, but it is interesting.
    Also, I believe the D3x will sell because some people need the
    resolution and they won't wait for any D700x.
    Rich, Dec 10, 2008
  8. RichA

    John Smith Guest

    Come on: "Some people need the resolution"???? 99.9999% of the prints made
    in the world are 11x14 and under. Just ask ANY film lab anywhere.

    Read Ken Rockwell's astute article on the D3x.

    Perhaps 1/100 of 1% of us ever print larger than 16x20. Who the **** needs
    25mp for anything 11x14 and under???

    I'm staying with my D3 and saving $5,000

    John Smith, Dec 10, 2008
  9. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <9zU%k.18$>, John Smith <> wrote:

    > Read Ken Rockwell's astute article

    you mean the guy who fabricates a lot of what he writes? that's not
    what i'd call astute.
    nospam, Dec 10, 2008
  10. RichA

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, RichA
    <> writes
    >D3x can never sell in this economic climate,

    Absolutely... Who would buy a D3X when a entry level hasselblad is a
    mere 11K GBP (15K USD?)

    The D3X is aimed at the top DSLR users and the bottom end MF and studio
    users. MF camera are 25-40MP

    A D3x has got to be a better bet for people who use both MF and
    DSLR/35mm

    Chris H, Dec 10, 2008
  11. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:47:21 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Camera sales people are either failed photographers, or wannabees

    >Many aren't even that qualified.

    Should that bother anyone buying a camera from a camera store?

    A failed photographer is someone who tried to make a business out of
    photography and failed. Lack of knowledge of camera equipment and
    photographic techniques would be far down on the list of reasons for
    failure. Lack of people skills and lack of business skills are the
    reasons that most would-be professional photographers can't make a go
    of it as a business. Lack of capital would the next item on the list.

    You have basically two groups of camera sales people: big box sales
    clerks and camera store sales clerks. Rarely will you find a big box
    camera sales clerk that is more than minimally knowledgeable. If that.
    Usually, you will find dedicated camera store clerks to be
    knowledgeable and helpful. There are exceptions in both groups, of
    course, but that's the way it usually works.

    The people who have trouble with camera store sales clerks are the
    amateurs who come into the store thinking that they know more than the
    clerk and are more intent on proving this than they are in being
    informed. The clerks usually figure this out early in the
    conversation and stop being helpful. They know they aren't going to
    convince this know-it-all that (brand) lenses are good, and they just
    lay back and let the customer run the show. Then the customer struts
    out thinking "That guy isn't qualified to sell cameras".

    I suspect, based on the threads in these photography groups, that many
    of the regular posters are in this category.

    And, no, I am not - nor have ever been - a camera store clerk.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 10, 2008
  12. RichA

    Jurgen Guest

    charles-billings wrote:

    > I can't even begin to tell you how many times this happened in the SLR days when
    > I was trying to buy Olympus and Zuiko gear and the fucking moron clerk would
    > always try to pawn off that "popular" crap-Nikon shit on me. That made more
    > money for him, and that's the ONLY reason they would try that sales-tactic crap.
    >
    > You sound just like one of those gawd-awful idiot sales clerks trying to defend
    > your stupidity and ignorance. I've come this > < close to punching your
    > particular kind of self-serving idiot in the face, many times.

    Only an idiot picks a fight with a stranger. Plenty of evidence to
    suggest ex army and ex boxers actually retaliate when self serving
    idiots think they can go around solving their problems violently. You can't!
    Jurgen, Dec 11, 2008
  13. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:04:50 +1000, Jurgen wrote:

    >> You sound just like one of those gawd-awful idiot sales clerks trying to defend
    >> your stupidity and ignorance. I've come this > < close to punching your
    >> particular kind of self-serving idiot in the face, many times.

    > Only an idiot picks a fight with a stranger.

    You've been trolled by the ng's sock puppet who chooses to remain
    anonymous, i.e., a stranger.
    ASAAR, Dec 11, 2008
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:52:23 -0600, charles-billings
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:59:04 -0500, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The people who have trouble with camera store sales clerks are the
    >>amateurs who come into the store thinking that they know more than the
    >>clerk and are more intent on proving this than they are in being
    >>informed. The clerks usually figure this out early in the
    >>conversation and stop being helpful. They know they aren't going to
    >>convince this know-it-all that (brand) lenses are good, and they just
    >>lay back and let the customer run the show. Then the customer struts
    >>out thinking "That guy isn't qualified to sell cameras".

    >No, the people who have problems with camera store clerks are those that know
    >more than the clerk ever will. They quickly find out that the clerk is trying to
    >pawn off the item that will make the most money for the store or clerk and has
    >the highest retail markup. Then when you try to explain to the ignorant clerk
    >whey they are ignorant, the start pulling red-herring sales tactics that make
    >themselves look even more stupid. So you have to sit there and argue with that
    >ignorant moron clerk trying to convince them you don't want what's popular and
    >what all the other people are buying, because you only want the camera that you
    >came for, which you've already researched and found it to be better than
    >anything that idiot clerk would ever know about.
    >
    >I can't even begin to tell you how many times this happened in the SLR days when
    >I was trying to buy Olympus and Zuiko gear and the fucking moron clerk would
    >always try to pawn off that "popular" crap-Nikon shit on me. That made more
    >money for him, and that's the ONLY reason they would try that sales-tactic crap.
    >
    >You sound just like one of those gawd-awful idiot sales clerks trying to defend
    >your stupidity and ignorance. I've come this > < close to punching your
    >particular kind of self-serving idiot in the face, many times.

    Your comments prove my point. The person who truly knows photography
    and photographic equipment - and know what they want - doesn't get
    into discussions with camera store clerks. They walk in, tell the
    clerk what they want to buy, pay for it, and leave. No customer has
    to "sit there" and listen to anything.

    The fact that you've engaged in argumentive discussions with camera
    store clerks indicates that you went in looking for an argument. No
    clerk is going to engage in an argument with a buyer that specifies
    exactly what he wants unless the buyer provides the opening. When you
    say you "explain" why the "ignorant clerk" is "ignorant", you are
    admitting that you are looking for an argument. You only tried to
    explain because you wanted the argument.

    What you wanted was an audience; someone who had to listen to you
    blather on about your expertise. Your audience is trapped because
    they were paid to stand behind the counter. You, on the other hand,
    could have said "Ring up the (item)" and been out of there.

    My guess is that the reaction of the camera store clerks when you walk
    in the store in your area is "Here comes the blowhard again".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 11, 2008
  15. tony cooper wrote:
> [...]

    > The fact that you've engaged in argumentive discussions with camera
    > store clerks indicates that you went in looking for an argument. No
    > clerk is going to engage in an argument with a buyer that specifies
    > exactly what he wants unless the buyer provides the opening. When you
    > say you "explain" why the "ignorant clerk" is "ignorant", you are
    > admitting that you are looking for an argument. You only tried to
    > explain because you wanted the argument.
    >
    > What you wanted was an audience; someone who had to listen to you
    > blather on about your expertise. Your audience is trapped because
    > they were paid to stand behind the counter. You, on the other hand,
    > could have said "Ring up the (item)" and been out of there.
    >
    > My guess is that the reaction of the camera store clerks when you walk
    > in the store in your area is "Here comes the blowhard again".

    Of course, tony, you are right, but you are also "conversing" with the
    pest. The nym-shifting coward polluting the group with his manifesto of
    P+S malarky.

    Not that there's anyting wrong with that....

    :)

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 11, 2008
  16. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:09:47 -0800, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >> My guess is that the reaction of the camera store clerks when you walk
    >> in the store in your area is "Here comes the blowhard again".

    >Of course, tony, you are right, but you are also "conversing" with the
    >pest. The nym-shifting coward polluting the group with his manifesto of
    >P+S malarky.
    >
    >Not that there's anyting wrong with that....

    I didn't realize that. As I've said before, I tend to read posts for
    content and not pay attention to who writes the posts. I do
    automatically skip over any post with "virtual-" or "Dear
    Resident-Troll" in it, though.

    There's evidence of very real mental instability in those posts.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 11, 2008
  17. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:03:12 -0500, Larry the dipThong wrote:

    >> I am sure that Nikon will give your advice all the attention that it
    >> deserves. By the way, there are long wait lists for the D3X. Odd, for
    >> a camera that will never sell.

    > I'm glad I got on the list when I did. You're right about the lists, they
    > are chin deep now.

    There are easier, cheaper ways to find the lice on your mutt.
    ASAAR, Dec 11, 2008
  18. C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2008-12-09 21:55:45 -0800, SMS <> said:
    >
    >> RichA wrote:
    >>> Potential Nikon D3x buyers beware - D700x is already in prototype!

    >> You knew this would happen. Nikon got blindsided by Canon's 5D Mark II
    >> which is far superior to the the D700. Alas, not sure if the D700x
    >> will help Nikon all that much at the high end at this point in time.
    >> What Nikon really needs to compete at the high end is a whole new line
    >> of lenses that can match the high quality of Canon's BWLs (big white
    >> lenses). Until Nikon comes out with a fluorite lens, they'll be unable
    >> to make much headway at the high end.

    > And here we have the Canon troll arguing with the other troll. Ignorance
    > arguing with ignorance. It ain't pretty.

    However, it is amusing....
    barely.

    I'd call it more the anti-Canon Missioner vs. the Cowardly Pest.....

    Mileage variable....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 11, 2008
  19. RichA

    SMS Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > nospam wrote:
    >> In article <9zU%k.18$>, John Smith <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Read Ken Rockwell's astute article

    >> you mean the guy who fabricates a lot of what he writes? that's not
    >> what i'd call astute.

    > How the hell can you accuse him of not being an astute fiction writer?

    Did you send him any money to help him continue his fiction career?
    SMS, Dec 11, 2008
  20. RichA

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:31:38 -0500, Larry Thong wrote:

    >>> I'm glad I got on the list when I did. You're right about the
    >>> lists, they are chin deep now.

    >> There are easier, cheaper ways to find the lice on your mutt.

    > But none more satisfying. Another 18-months of pure enjoyment.

    In other words, you got the thing because you had an itch. That's
    one expensive mutt.
    ASAAR, Dec 12, 2008