    Rob Guest

    Does anyone own and have a personal view of the Nikon D3200??

    Is it worth buying the D3200 or look at the D5100.

    Rob, Nov 27, 2012

  2. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 27/11/2012 10:04, Rob wrote:

    > Does anyone own and have a personal view of the Nikon D3200??
    >
    > Is it worth buying the D3200 or look at the D5100.

    Were it my decision, I would wait a couple of weeks for the D5200.

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d5200

    (I have the D5000 and have been very pleased with it. The swivel LCD I
    consider worth the extra money, although I don't use it every day. I
    would like the extra sensitivity in the D5200, although I don't need the
    24 MP resolution).
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Nov 27, 2012

  3. Rob <> wrote:

    >Does anyone own and have a personal view of the Nikon D3200??
    >
    >Is it worth buying the D3200 or look at the D5100.

    It all depends what you want to use it for.

    As an occasional back-up to your D800 it might be fine. It is a tiny
    camera that is not much larger than some Micro Four Thirds cameras and
    smaller than the latest Panasonic DMC-GH3. It offers excellent image
    quality from its 24 MP Sony sensor. The price is extremely low for
    the quality of the output.

    However, the performance of the D3200's AF system is a long way behind
    the D800's and the viewfinder is not the brightest. If you look at
    the detailed specifications you will probably find other shortcomings,
    but the price is so good that you may be prepared to tolerate them.

    I strongly recommend giving the D3200 an extended trial if you can.
    You may be surprised by how good it is; you could pay over twice as
    much for the same Sony 24 MP sensor in a Sony camera.

    My current D800 back-up is a D600 but it is only on loan for testing.
    When I return the loaned D600 I will have to decide whether to buy one
    of my own or go for something cheaper. The D3200 is so cheap and so
    good that I might buy one as well as a D600.
    Anthony Polson, Nov 27, 2012
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 28/11/2012 1:30 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
    > Rob <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Does anyone own and have a personal view of the Nikon D3200??
    >>
    >> Is it worth buying the D3200 or look at the D5100.

    > It all depends what you want to use it for.
    >
    > As an occasional back-up to your D800 it might be fine. It is a tiny
    > camera that is not much larger than some Micro Four Thirds cameras and
    > smaller than the latest Panasonic DMC-GH3. It offers excellent image
    > quality from its 24 MP Sony sensor. The price is extremely low for
    > the quality of the output.
    >
    > However, the performance of the D3200's AF system is a long way behind
    > the D800's and the viewfinder is not the brightest. If you look at
    > the detailed specifications you will probably find other shortcomings,
    > but the price is so good that you may be prepared to tolerate them.
    >
    > I strongly recommend giving the D3200 an extended trial if you can.
    > You may be surprised by how good it is; you could pay over twice as
    > much for the same Sony 24 MP sensor in a Sony camera.
    >
    > My current D800 back-up is a D600 but it is only on loan for testing.
    > When I return the loaned D600 I will have to decide whether to buy one
    > of my own or go for something cheaper. The D3200 is so cheap and so
    > good that I might buy one as well as a D600.

    Its not for myself btw I was asked by a friend - and suggested the D3200
    as it is small and light to carry. With that the 18-105 lens to keep it
    at a reasonable price. Best price here is $685 inc GST. (the d5100
    18-105 is $640) but the 3200 should be a better performer and have
    adequate feature to be a suitable buy.

    He wants it for family images, happy snaps etc and some video, a SLR to
    get some decent images.

    just that one can't rely on web sites that test cameras as they seem to
    gloss over the poor parts.

    yep I don't think that the DX format cameras fit into my equipment list
    anymore. The 800E is such a superb camera, but I now spend more time to
    optimise capturing the image to the full potential.

    Even though I started with the D100 and upgraded with DX formats, was
    never happy with the results being always soft. The D700 was heaps
    better back then. Looking back to some of those D700 images and
    comparing them to the 800 just wonder.

    Couple from last trip

    https://www.dropbox.com/home/Images?select=Ayers Rock NT.jpg
    Rob, Nov 28, 2012
  5. Rob

    me Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:36:04 +1100, Rob <>
    wrote:

    >yep I don't think that the DX format cameras fit into my equipment list
    >anymore. The 800E is such a superb camera, but I now spend more time to
    >optimise capturing the image to the full potential.
    >
    >Even though I started with the D100 and upgraded with DX formats, was
    >never happy with the results being always soft. The D700 was heaps
    >better back then. Looking back to some of those D700 images and
    >comparing them to the 800 just wonder.
    >
    >Couple from last trip
    >
    >https://www.dropbox.com/home/Images?select=Ayers Rock NT.jpg

    Sign in required.
    me, Nov 28, 2012
  6. Rob <> wrote:

    >On 28/11/2012 1:30 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
    >> Rob <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone own and have a personal view of the Nikon D3200??
    >>>
    >>> Is it worth buying the D3200 or look at the D5100.

    >> It all depends what you want to use it for.
    >>
    >> As an occasional back-up to your D800 it might be fine. It is a tiny
    >> camera that is not much larger than some Micro Four Thirds cameras and
    >> smaller than the latest Panasonic DMC-GH3. It offers excellent image
    >> quality from its 24 MP Sony sensor. The price is extremely low for
    >> the quality of the output.
    >>
    >> However, the performance of the D3200's AF system is a long way behind
    >> the D800's and the viewfinder is not the brightest. If you look at
    >> the detailed specifications you will probably find other shortcomings,
    >> but the price is so good that you may be prepared to tolerate them.
    >>
    >> I strongly recommend giving the D3200 an extended trial if you can.
    >> You may be surprised by how good it is; you could pay over twice as
    >> much for the same Sony 24 MP sensor in a Sony camera.
    >>
    >> My current D800 back-up is a D600 but it is only on loan for testing.
    >> When I return the loaned D600 I will have to decide whether to buy one
    >> of my own or go for something cheaper. The D3200 is so cheap and so
    >> good that I might buy one as well as a D600.
    >>

    >Its not for myself btw I was asked by a friend - and suggested the D3200
    >as it is small and light to carry. With that the 18-105 lens to keep it
    >at a reasonable price. Best price here is $685 inc GST. (the d5100
    >18-105 is $640) but the 3200 should be a better performer and have
    >adequate feature to be a suitable buy.
    >
    >He wants it for family images, happy snaps etc and some video, a SLR to
    >get some decent images.
    >
    >just that one can't rely on web sites that test cameras as they seem to
    >gloss over the poor parts.

    The simple reason is that a web site that is over-critical won't get
    any cameras for reviews.

    I have carried out almost a hundred tests on cameras, lenses and
    accessories and produced draft reviews that are later edited by
    magazine journalists and editors and presented as the magazine's own
    reviews. Several times I have not recognised the final versions as
    being based on my own drafts. However, they still pay and that is all
    that has ever mattered to me.

    I was very impressed with the D3200. It has a superlative sensor,
    without doubt one of the best currently available in APS-C. The
    camera is difficult to criticise at its price point.

    Build quality is not the best, as you would expect from an entry-level
    camera. The AF system is very good for an entry-level camera at this
    price point but continuous AF sometimes lets you down. The camera
    lacks some features that enthusiastic photographers may consider
    essential, for example the swivelling LCD screen as pointed out by
    David Taylor.

    The viewfinder image is small and dim as you would expect from an
    entry-level DX camera, but you would have to pay a lot more for a DSLR
    with a pentaprism.

    Suggesting the D3200 for your friend was a good recommendation. As
    long as he doesn't expect a prosumer-level 24 MP DSLR at that price,
    he will surely not be disappointed.

    As an aside, I think the decision to use a 24 MP DX sensor on the
    entry-level Nikon DSLR has caused a lot of problems. The next sensor
    up the range is the 24 MP FX sensor in the D600. This means that the
    new D5200 has the same 24 MP DX sensor. The D7000/D300s
    replacement(s) will almost certainly have the same DX sensor.

    So how on earth do will Nikon differentiate one 24 MP DX model from
    another sufficiently to be able to charge substantially more for the
    D7000/D300s replacement(s) than for the D3200? If you don't mind its
    limitations, the D3200 is something of a bargain.
    Anthony Polson, Nov 29, 2012
  7. Rob

    Rob Guest

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugael79x64ppy8z/Ayers Rock NT.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9auwg9a6zlz8gt/Kath Springs NT.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyjzzfbxvg9y2n5/Second Hand Shop NT.JPG
    Rob, Nov 29, 2012
  8. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 29/11/2012 11:31 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
> [...]

    > entry-level DX camera, but you would have to pay a lot more for a DSLR
    > with a pentaprism.
    >
    > Suggesting the D3200 for your friend was a good recommendation. As
    > long as he doesn't expect a prosumer-level 24 MP DSLR at that price,
    > he will surely not be disappointed.
    >
    > As an aside, I think the decision to use a 24 MP DX sensor on the
    > entry-level Nikon DSLR has caused a lot of problems. The next sensor
    > up the range is the 24 MP FX sensor in the D600. This means that the
    > new D5200 has the same 24 MP DX sensor. The D7000/D300s
    > replacement(s) will almost certainly have the same DX sensor.
    >
    > So how on earth do will Nikon differentiate one 24 MP DX model from
    > another sufficiently to be able to charge substantially more for the
    > D7000/D300s replacement(s) than for the D3200? If you don't mind its
    > limitations, the D3200 is something of a bargain.

    Thanks that just fills in some of the minor bits. Its a good chance of
    him buying the camera with the 18-105.
    Rob, Nov 29, 2012
  9. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/28/2012 4:46 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 05:03:26 -0500, me <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:36:04 +1100, Rob <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> yep I don't think that the DX format cameras fit into my equipment list
    >>> anymore. The 800E is such a superb camera, but I now spend more time to
    >>> optimise capturing the image to the full potential.
    >>>
    >>> Even though I started with the D100 and upgraded with DX formats, was
    >>> never happy with the results being always soft. The D700 was heaps
    >>> better back then. Looking back to some of those D700 images and
    >>> comparing them to the 800 just wonder.
    >>>
    >>> Couple from last trip
    >>>
    >>> https://www.dropbox.com/home/Images?select=Ayers Rock NT.jpg

    >> Sign in required.

    > When I was poking around that site I found a photograph which made me
    > laugh in delight. You will understand if you look at
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/DSC01839.JPG

    Try this:
    <http://weknowmemes.com/2012/11/how-to-catch-a-cat/>
    It brought a smile to my face.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 29, 2012
  10. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/28/2012 7:31 PM, Anthony Polson wrote:

    <snip>

    > I have carried out almost a hundred tests on cameras, lenses and
    > accessories and produced draft reviews that are later edited by
    > magazine journalists and editors and presented as the magazine's own
    > reviews. Several times I have not recognised the final versions as
    > being based on my own drafts. However, they still pay and that is all
    > that has ever mattered to me.

    For some strange reason I completely believe the last sentence.

    <pomposity snip>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 29, 2012
  11. Rob

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/29/2012 3:52 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:29:08 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> When I was poking around that site I found a photograph which made me
    >>> laugh in delight. You will understand if you look at
    >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/DSC01839.JPG
    >>>

    >> Try this:
    >> <http://weknowmemes.com/2012/11/how-to-catch-a-cat/>
    >> It brought a smile to my face.

    > The point is that the NEF file on the Dropbox site is of what appears
    > to be an elderly classical Balinese cat. In fact it is the spitting
    > image of one we had who died a few years ago at the age of 21. I
    > printed off that image and showed it to my wife, who immediately said
    > "I haven't seen that photograph of Emmy before. Where did you get it?"
    > Anyway, that's why I posted my link pointing to a photograph of Emmy.
    >
    > [Emmy was born 'Garthelia Powderpuff' but by the time we got her she
    > had gained the name Emmy from her breeder. The name of the breeder's
    > mother was Margaret Elliot => M.E. => Emmy.]

    OK. But, I still like funny animal images.

    Here's one of mine.

    <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/image%5B2%5D.jpg>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 29, 2012
  12. Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >The point is that the NEF file on the Dropbox site is of what appears
    >to be an elderly classical Balinese cat. In fact it is the spitting
    >image of one we had who died a few years ago at the age of 21. I
    >printed off that image and showed it to my wife, who immediately said
    >"I haven't seen that photograph of Emmy before. Where did you get it?"
    >Anyway, that's why I posted my link pointing to a photograph of Emmy.
    >
    >[Emmy was born 'Garthelia Powderpuff' but by the time we got her she
    >had gained the name Emmy from her breeder. The name of the breeder's
    >mother was Margaret Elliot => M.E. => Emmy.]

    Fascinating.
    Anthony Polson, Nov 30, 2012