    up. The D5000 is far better. Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    had to use them up? Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    and they came before the D3000.

    RichA, May 19, 2010

  2. Re: Nikon D3000 a piece of lower-cost technology?

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    > up. The D5000 is far better. Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    > had to use them up? Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    > and they came before the D3000.

    Yes, it has older CCDs.

    As you note, the D40 was a much earlier camera, and doubtless peoples
    expectations have risen since then. The D5000, as you note, is excellent.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 19, 2010

  3. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    > up. The D5000 is far better. Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    > had to use them up? Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    > and they came before the D3000.

    So don't buy

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 19, 2010
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:19:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    >up. The D5000 is far better. Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    >had to use them up? Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    >and they came before the D3000.

    It's definitely not a lemon.

    Like every other manufacturer's entry-level DSLR, it's kind of ...

    .... entry-level.

    Bruce, May 19, 2010
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 19, 6:20 am, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    > > up.  The D5000 is far better.  Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    > > had to use them up?  Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    > > and they came before the D3000.

    > So don't buy
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    How DO you come up with such profundities?

    RichA, May 19, 2010
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 19, 6:39 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:19:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    > >up.  The D5000 is far better.  Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    > >had to use them up?  Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    > >and they came before the D3000.

    > It's definitely not a lemon.
    >
    > Like every other manufacturer's entry-level DSLR, it's kind of ...
    >
    > ... entry-level.

    It's like...they didn't care. How else to explain the worst JPEG's on
    the planet?

    RichA, May 19, 2010
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:42:02 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >On May 19, 6:39 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:19:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    >> >up.  The D5000 is far better.  Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    >> >had to use them up?  Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    >> >and they came before the D3000.

    >> It's definitely not a lemon.
    >>
    >> Like every other manufacturer's entry-level DSLR, it's kind of ...
    >>
    >> ... entry-level.

    >It's like...they didn't care. How else to explain the worst JPEG's on
    >the planet?

    Better than Sony's entry-level junk using the same sensor. ;-)

    Bruce, May 20, 2010
  8. Re: Nikon D3000 - entry level?

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On May 19, 6:39 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:19:25 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-
    >> >up. The D5000 is far better. Did Nikon have some CCDs left over and
    >> >had to use them up? Seems like the D40/40x got much better reviews
    >> >and they came before the D3000.

    >> It's definitely not a lemon.
    >>
    >> Like every other manufacturer's entry-level DSLR, it's kind of ...
    >>
    >> ... entry-level.

    > It's like...they didn't care. How else to explain the worst JPEG's on
    > the planet?

    Not Nikon, Kodak's are/were the worst JPEGs. You did know that you can
    alter the quality settings on the D3000 so suit your own needs, I suppose?
    And if you must, you can use RAW and bypass JPEGs altogether.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 20, 2010
  9. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Re: Nikon D3000 - entry level?

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> On May 19, 6:39 am, Bruce <> wrote:

    >>> It's definitely not a lemon.
    >>>
    >>> Like every other manufacturer's entry-level DSLR, it's kind of ...
    >>>
    >>> ... entry-level.

    >> It's like...they didn't care. How else to explain the worst JPEG's on
    >> the planet?

    > Not Nikon, Kodak's are/were the worst JPEGs. You did know that you can
    > alter the quality settings on the D3000 so suit your own needs, I suppose?
    > And if you must, you can use RAW and bypass JPEGs altogether.
    >
    > David

    I wonder if Rich ever actually shot with the camera.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 20, 2010
  10. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >This lemon really does seem to be the odd man out in the Nikon line-

    Rich hates everything.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, May 22, 2010