    I can however format via the menu.

    Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

    Franz Fripplfrappl
    franz fripplfrappl, May 26, 2008

  2. franz fripplfrappl

    Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:40:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital franz fripplfrappl
    <> wrote:

    >Nikon D300.
    >
    >I used to be able to format memory cards by simultaneously pressing the
    >mode and trashcan buttons. Now I cannot. I hold both for 2-3 seconds
    >and the display flashes as though it is formatting. When done flashing,
    >nothing has been reset.
    >
    >I can however format via the menu.
    >
    >Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

    Sounds like you are not doing it properly. From p 41-42 of the fine manual:

    1 Turn the camera on.

    2 Press the format buttons.
    Hold the format (Mode and Trash)
    buttons down simultaneously
    for approximately two
    seconds.
    A blinking For will appear in
    the shutter-speed displays in
    the control panel and
    viewfinder. To exit without
    formatting the memory card,
    press any button other than
    the format buttons

    3 Press the format buttons again.
    Press the format buttons together a second time to
    format the memory card.
    , May 26, 2008

  3. On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:24:56 -0400, me wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:40:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital franz
    > fripplfrappl <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nikon D300.
    >>
    >>I used to be able to format memory cards by simultaneously pressing the
    >>mode and trashcan buttons. Now I cannot. I hold both for 2-3 seconds
    >>and the display flashes as though it is formatting. When done flashing,
    >>nothing has been reset.
    >>
    >>I can however format via the menu.
    >>
    >>Any ideas? Is it possible to have disabled the format function somehow?

    > Sounds like you are not doing it properly. From p 41-42 of the fine
    > manual:
    >
    > 1 Turn the camera on.
    >
    > 2 Press the format buttons.
    > Hold the format (Mode and Trash)
    > buttons down simultaneously
    > for approximately two
    > seconds.
    > A blinking For will appear in
    > the shutter-speed displays in
    > the control panel and
    > viewfinder. To exit without
    > formatting the memory card,
    > press any button other than
    > the format buttons
    >
    > 3 Press the format buttons again.
    > Press the format buttons together a second time to format the memory
    > card.

    Thank you! That was it. I forgot to flip to page 42 and complete the
    process.

    Franz Fripplfrappl
    franz fripplfrappl, May 26, 2008