    actual cameras are on the shelf.

    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Nov 6, 2007

  2. Floyd L. Davidson

    Paul Furman Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > I just discovered that yesterday Dave Coffin released
    > version 8.79 of dcraw.c, which among a number of other
    > updates includes code to handle Nikon's soon to arrive
    > D300 and D3 model DSLR's

    I'll be interested in hearing some more objective evaluations of the
    noise performance on these models, perhaps.

    Paul Furman, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> I just discovered that yesterday Dave Coffin released
    >> version 8.79 of dcraw.c, which among a number of other
    >> updates includes code to handle Nikon's soon to arrive
    >> D300 and D3 model DSLR's

    >I'll be interested in hearing some more objective
    >evaluations of the noise performance on these models,
    >perhaps.

    I tried it with some NEF files I downloaded from one
    of the demos a few weeks ago, and found the results
    quite interesting. It's mighty hard to adjust things
    precisely using a command line utility, but I did get
    fairly close output from dcraw compared to what the
    embedded JPEG image was. The surprizing thing was
    that the noise on ISO 25600 images was better from
    dcraw. At ISO 6400 it was about the same.

    It will have to wait until UFRAW upgrades for it to be
    easy enough to really experiment much.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Nov 6, 2007
  4. Floyd L. Davidson

    Guest

    Re: Nikon D3 and D300 NEF raw files now supported by Dave Coffin's dcraw

    On Nov 5, 10:45 pm, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    > Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > >> I just discovered that yesterday Dave Coffin released
    > >> version 8.79 of dcraw.c, which among a number of other
    > >> updates includes code to handle Nikon's soon to arrive
    > >> D300 and D3 model DSLR's

    > >I'll be interested in hearing some more objective
    > >evaluations of the noise performance on these models,
    > >perhaps.

    > I tried it with some NEF files I downloaded from one
    > of the demos a few weeks ago, and found the results
    > quite interesting. It's mighty hard to adjust things
    > precisely using a command line utility, but I did get
    > fairly close output from dcraw compared to what the
    > embedded JPEG image was. The surprizing thing was
    > that the noise on ISO 25600 images was better from
    > dcraw. At ISO 6400 it was about the same.
    >
    > It will have to wait until UFRAW upgrades for it to be
    > easy enough to really experiment much.
    >
    > --
    > Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
    > Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    UFRAW is pretty cool. Between UFRAW and The GIMP you can do an awful
    lot with your Nikon DSLR and Free Software. :)
    , Nov 6, 2007
  5. wrote:
    >On Nov 5, 10:45 pm, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    >> Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >> It will have to wait until UFRAW upgrades for it to be
    >> easy enough to really experiment much.

    >UFRAW is pretty cool. Between UFRAW and The GIMP you can do an awful
    >lot with your Nikon DSLR and Free Software. :)

    Udi Fuchs just release UFRAW 0.13, based on Dave
    Coffin's dcraw version 8.80. There is a significantly
    long list of changes adding new features. Included are
    a few bug fixes and of course hidden in it all is that
    the dcraw code includes support for the soon to be
    released Nikon D300 and D3 cameras.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Nov 13, 2007
  6. Floyd L. Davidson

    ejmartin Guest

    Re: Nikon D3 and D300 NEF raw files now supported by Dave Coffin's dcraw

    I've made a preliminary analysis of the Nikon D3's dynamic range,
    using the Nikon D3 raw samples posted here:

    http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/d3.html

    The latest build of the raw converter dcraw can indeed understand D3
    raw files though it seems there are some bugs with some of the
    conversion options, the -D option doesn't seem to work; but I was able
    to get a linear 16-bit conversion without bayer interpolation that I
    could analyze. I should stress that it is important to take the raw
    converter out of the equation as much as possible or else you are
    testing the raw conversion software as much as the camera. The
    linear conversion w/o bayer interpolation does that; to be specific
    the options used were
    dcraw -v -h -4 -T -k 0 -H 1 -o 0 -r 1 1 1 1 filename.nef

    Looking at the ISO 200 sample, I analyzed a few regions of the image
    in the red and blue channels, measured the noise in IRIS and
    extrapolated the result to vanishing luminance. The dynamic range
    seems to be about 11.7 stops (read noise is about 4.9 in 14-bit raw
    levels, and the highlights clip at 16383 in those units).

    I had to extrapolate down to zero raw level from a bit above since
    Nikon clips their blackpoint and so the noise is not a Gaussian
    distribution but a half-gaussian at the bottom end, and fluctuations
    are thereby clipped as well; using the absolute lowest exposure levels
    underestimates the noise.

    This is a *very* rough, preliminary measurement. A proper measurement
    would use a blackframe image, shot at a high shutter speed with a lens
    cap on the body. That will take a lot of sloppiness out of the above
    analysis, but I would be surprised if the dynamic range is more than
    12 stops. A similar analysis at ISO 1600 yields about 10 stops DR.
    Thus it would appear that the D3's dynamic range is about the same as
    Canon 1 series DSLR's.

    Unfortunately the sample images are not appropriate for determining
    the quantum efficiency of the sensor, which to my thinking is one of
    the determining factors in high ISO performance.

    The raw was shot in 12bit mode rather than 14-bit mode (all raw levels
    were multiples of four in 14-bit units). It will be interesting to see
    whether an image shot in 14-bit mode has more dynamic range, since the
    12-bit sample here has a quantization step which just about equals the
    noise. Theoretically that could get you a very tiny fraction of a stop
    more, but I don't think quantization error is the limiting factor
    here. Anyway, DR appears to roughly equal the Canon Mark 3 at ISO 200.

    BTW, pattern noise (banding) seems fairly well controlled (though
    visible in the deepest shadows if you boost them enough).
    ejmartin, Nov 13, 2007