    Thx,

    Ben

    , Jul 17, 2006

  2. JR Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Seeing as how RAW/NEF files are damn near 20MB on the D2X, I am
    > interested in compressing them. The manual, on pg. 48 states that RAW
    > compression reduces the file size by 40%-50% w/ "almst no effect on
    > image quality." I like the first part, a 10-12MB file, but the second
    > part worries me a little. Can anyone tell me precisely what "almost no
    > effect on image quality"? I haven't got time right now to do a side by
    > side comparison, so I thought I'd throw this out there. Any takers?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Ben

    You bought a 4k camera...buy a few CF cards and dont worry about
    it...seriously..I own a D2X and I dont shoot compressed....the
    highlights are what is compressed by a lossy algorithm....while its very
    good, when its not the highlights are lost...it may only happen 1 in
    1000 images, but if that one image was a kepper...then its not worth
    it..to me at least....

    JR, Jul 18, 2006

  3. acl Guest

    wrote:
    > Seeing as how RAW/NEF files are damn near 20MB on the D2X, I am
    > interested in compressing them. The manual, on pg. 48 states that RAW
    > compression reduces the file size by 40%-50% w/ "almst no effect on
    > image quality." I like the first part, a 10-12MB file, but the second
    > part worries me a little. Can anyone tell me precisely what "almost no
    > effect on image quality"? I haven't got time right now to do a side by
    > side comparison, so I thought I'd throw this out there. Any takers?

    Hello,
    This
    http://www.majid.info/mylos/weblog/2004/05/02-1.html
    explains how this compression is implemented in the D70. What the visual
    effect is you'll have to check yourself.

    acl, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Guest

    JR wrote:

    > You bought a 4k camera...buy a few CF cards and dont worry about
    > it...seriously..

    Seriously? Good point, though. Which is what I'm off to best Buy to
    do.

    PS - I deedn't pay no steenking $4k, though! ;)

    , Jul 18, 2006