    I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

    What do you think?

    w.
    W Chan, Sep 11, 2006

  2. W Chan

    Jim Guest

    "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    news:w2fNg.527315$Mn5.136668@pd7tw3no...
    >I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
    > However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.
    >
    > I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > w.

    I would rather have a D200 because it can use AI and AI-S lenses with
    electronic rangefinder and aperature priority metering. This is a definite
    advantage over the D70.

    The only real advantage of a D80 over the D70 is the increased sensor pixel
    count (which can be quite an advantage).

    As for me, I am keeping my D70 until the next big evolution.

    Jim
    Jim, Sep 11, 2006

  3. W Chan

    ftran999 Guest

    "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    >I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.

    "supposedly" the D80 is targeted towards amateurs or current D50/70 owners
    looking to upgrade, whereas the D200 is geared towards advanced amateurs and
    pros.
    > However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.
    >
    > I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.
    >
    > What do you think?

    I myself am torn between the D200 and the D80. When the D200 first came out
    it seemed like the right camera for me. However, I put off purchasing
    one and now the D80 has come along. Upon intitial comparison between the
    two, it seemed the only difference was a better constructed body on the
    D200 and more segments on the metering on the D200. To me this did not
    justify the extra $700 for the D200, so the D80 seemed the more logical
    choice.
    However, the complicate things further, lurking on the Nikonian.org site, I
    discovered that the D80 uses a compressed RAW format while the D200 uses a
    non compressed format. What I am going to do is wait awhile for various
    review sites to do comparisons between the two cameras. I would like to see
    them specifically address the compressed vs non compressed RAW issue.

    ftran999, Sep 11, 2006
  4. W Chan

    Joan Guest

    It's lossless compression so it should make no difference to the
    images, just the files size and thus how many images fit on the
    storage card.

    --
    Joan

    "ftran999" <> wrote in message
    :
    : However, the complicate things further, lurking on the Nikonian.org
    site, I
    : discovered that the D80 uses a compressed RAW format while the D200
    uses a
    : non compressed format. What I am going to do is wait awhile for
    various
    : review sites to do comparisons between the two cameras. I would
    like to see
    : them specifically address the compressed vs non compressed RAW
    issue.
    : >
    : > w.
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
    Joan, Sep 12, 2006
  5. W Chan

    Bill Guest

    Jim wrote:

    >>I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
    >> However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.
    >>

    >I would rather have a D200 because it can use AI and AI-S lenses with
    >electronic rangefinder and aperature priority metering. This is a definite
    >advantage over the D70.
    >
    >The only real advantage of a D80 over the D70 is the increased sensor pixel
    >count (which can be quite an advantage).

    That's all?

    What about all the other advantages, such as bigger and brighter
    viewfinder, lower noise, better controls, better battery, bigger
    display, battery grip, etc.

    The viewfinder is a big advantage to me.
    Bill, Sep 12, 2006
  6. W Chan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Bill <> writes:
    > What about all the other advantages, such as bigger and brighter
    > viewfinder, lower noise, better controls, better battery, bigger
    > display, battery grip, etc.
    >
    > The viewfinder is a big advantage to me.

    The viewfinder does sound like a big advantage (I haven't seen it
    yet). I'd expect the noise to be higher, not lower, since the pixels
    are smaller. I don't know about the controls. The new battery is
    worse, not better (a replacement costs around $50 instead of $15 and
    the D80 won't run on the old version). The add-on battery grip
    provides a cumbersome and itself-expensive workaround for the rip-off
    lithium battery scam, but it would be better if they skipped the scam
    in the first place.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 12, 2006
  7. W Chan

    [BnH] Guest

    My friend just sent me samples of shots at ISO 800, 1600 and even 3200 and I
    think they are excellent.
    Nikon is really doing their homework to suppress the noise level.

    Its ISO 800 are comparable to D70 ISO 200 imho.

    If you don't have ancient collectible and useful AI/s lenses, don't bother
    and save yourself $500 and grab the D80.
    Its the baby D200 and can do almost all the D200 can do.

    [BnH], Sep 12, 2006
  8. W Chan

    W Chan Guest

    the key attraction of d200 is the faster shutter spead and higher fps, these
    are good features for sports /fast action photography.. i think .

    i agree with the investment in lenses as they tend to last longer and a key
    part in getting quality images. cam body does change every 12-18mths... d200
    is a baby d2x, and d80 is a baby d200..

    i think nikon is taking advantage of existing expertise, reorganize the
    features/functionalities from this/that models and mass produce them... i
    think even the retail price of d80 has come down a fair bit but with so many
    features from its peers... , the actual profit margin of d80 may be
    higher... (less costs on research and development on new/breakthru
    applications.)

    i will wait i see a sample d80 and try it and compare. stores shud hv the
    camera this week...(in canada).

    thks 4 many of your inputs..

    w.
    W Chan, Sep 12, 2006
  9. W Chan

    [BnH] Guest

    3 fps vs 5fps ... vs 8fps :)

    I have cameras with the speeds above and I tell you I now can bag sport
    actions shots with just 4fps camera.
    [ I set my D2H just @ 5 fps fyi ]
    and a friend that focuses on basketball photography last time bagged
    A LOT of good shots of his team playing using the D70.

    imho .. just invest some AFS [and really fast AFS .. not those slow AFS
    18-200 :D ] or fast glass
    for your sport shots.

    [BnH], Sep 13, 2006
  10. [BnH] wrote:

    > I have cameras with the speeds above and I tell you I now can bag
    > sport actions shots with just 4fps camera.
    > [ I set my D2H just @ 5 fps fyi ]
    > and a friend that focuses on basketball photography last time bagged
    > A LOT of good shots of his team playing using the D70.
    >
    > imho .. just invest some AFS [and really fast AFS .. not those slow
    > AFS 18-200 :D ] or fast glass
    > for your sport shots.

    That's why it's totally and utterly foolish to use anything other than a
    200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR for basketball photography. Even the high
    performer 70-200mm VR struggles under these conditions.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 13, 2006
  11. Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    > [BnH] wrote:
    >
    >> I have cameras with the speeds above and I tell you I now can bag
    >> sport actions shots with just 4fps camera.
    >> [ I set my D2H just @ 5 fps fyi ]
    >> and a friend that focuses on basketball photography last time bagged
    >> A LOT of good shots of his team playing using the D70.
    >>
    >> imho .. just invest some AFS [and really fast AFS .. not those slow
    >> AFS 18-200 :D ] or fast glass
    >> for your sport shots.

    > That's why it's totally and utterly foolish to use anything other than a
    > 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR for basketball photography. Even the high
    > performer 70-200mm VR struggles under these conditions.

    Right, "Rita". When you post cute little jokes like this, some earnest
    newbie might even believe you for a few days.

    And could you fix your sig., please?

    --
    John McWilliams

    Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:

    EB: "First Name?"
    B: "I'm not sure."
    EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."
    B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."
    EB: "Sod Off??"
    B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to
    all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes
    we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"

    - Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.
    John McWilliams, Sep 13, 2006
  12. W Chan

    Joan Guest

    You arrogant pig!

    --
    Joan

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    : Right, "Rita". When you post cute little jokes like this, some
    earnest
    : newbie might even believe you for a few days.
    :
    : And could you fix your sig., please?
    :
    : --
    : John McWilliams
    :
    Joan, Sep 14, 2006
  13. Joan wrote:
    > You arrogant pig!

    Sock of "Rita"! Top posting antipodean!

    Not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but it's ironic that
    you post upside down.....

    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, Sep 14, 2006
  14. Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my D200 in
    July after reading all of the information on Ken Rockwell's site. I'm still
    happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the comparisons.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

    James P. Clark, Sep 20, 2006
  15. W Chan

    Bill Guest

    "James P. Clark" <> wrote in message
    > Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my
    > D200 in July after reading all of the information on Ken Rockwell's
    > site. I'm still happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the
    > comparisons.

    No offence, but how about posting a link to a site with accurate
    information?

    Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.

    His so-called "review" is full of misinformation and bias. I'm
    guessing from the garbage he spews out about technical details and
    features of the D80 (too many to list here) that he hasn't bought it
    and may not have used it at all like some of his other "reviews" where
    he just makes it all up based on what he read elsewhere.

    I can't stress this enough - DO NOT TRUST ROCKWELL.

    The guy is full of sh!t (dare I say a liar?) and can not be trusted to
    give an honest or even accurate review of any kind. All he seems to do
    is post questionable info on his site with dozens of referrer links to
    purchase equipment (HINT - if you click one of his links, he makes
    money).

    So if you want to read Rockwell, go ahead, but make sure you have a
    LOT of salt handy to improve the flavour of his bullsh!t.

    :)

    At the very least, try sites like these for more accurate reviews:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/ (just a preview so far)

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d80-review/index.shtml

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D80/D80A.HTM

    http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikond80/

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml (comparison)

    Once you read up on the D80 and it's features, go back to Rockwell and
    compare facts. At least he's good for some laughs.

    And if you want personal input from users, try public forums or
    newsgroups like this one.
    Bill, Sep 20, 2006
  16. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bill <> wrote:

    > "James P. Clark" <> wrote in message
    >> Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my
    >> D200 in July after reading all of the information on Ken Rockwell's
    >> site. I'm still happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the
    >> comparisons.

    > No offence, but how about posting a link to a site with accurate
    > information?
    >
    > Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.

    You are full of shit! Did you read the article? He did a direct comparison,
    and any opinion stated in there is clearly his. As far as the article's
    accuracy, it appears to be quite accurate. All stats are tabulated and
    compared precisely. That link was indeed a decent post. Please keep your
    agenda to yourself.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 20, 2006
  17. In article <>,
    "Bill" <> wrote:

    > Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.

    > Once you read up on the D80 and it's features, go back to Rockwell and
    > compare facts. At least he's good for some laughs.
    >
    > And if you want personal input from users, try public forums or
    > newsgroups like this one.

    I was talking with someone the other day boasting to be a personal
    friend of his, I thought "idiot" after much sputtering from him I was
    convinced.

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Sep 20, 2006
  18. W Chan

    cjcampbell Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "James P. Clark" <> wrote in message
    > > Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my
    > > D200 in July after reading all of the information on Ken Rockwell's
    > > site. I'm still happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the
    > > comparisons.

    > No offence, but how about posting a link to a site with accurate
    > information?
    >
    > Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.
    >
    > His so-called "review" is full of misinformation and bias.

    Really? Show us one single mistake in his comparison.
    cjcampbell, Sep 21, 2006
  19. W Chan

    Bill Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bill <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "James P. Clark" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my
    >>> D200 in July after reading all of the information on Ken
    >>> Rockwell's
    >>> site. I'm still happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the
    >>> comparisons.

    >> No offence, but how about posting a link to a site with accurate
    >> information?
    >>
    >> Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.

    > You are full of shit!

    I can't be...I went the bathroom earlier.

    :)

    > Did you read the article?

    Of course, and I handled the D80 on the weekend, that's why I know his
    so-called "review" is suspect.

    Did you read it?

    > He did a direct comparison,
    > and any opinion stated in there is clearly his.

    Opinions are fine, until they misguide innocent others looking for
    good advice.

    > As far as the article's
    > accuracy, it appears to be quite accurate. All stats are tabulated
    > and
    > compared precisely. That link was indeed a decent post.

    For comparison to see if you need the D200 over the D80, perhaps. But
    there are factual errors, such as the sensor being the same as the
    D200 (it is not), no mirror lockup (it has it), etc.

    > Please keep your agenda to yourself.

    I fully admit I have an agenda - to help new people looking for honest
    advice.

    Ken Rockwell is a flake and I don't like to see people get misled by
    his delusional reviews. Usually people learn quickly on their own that
    he's not someone to trust for accurate or honest info. I like to give
    them a head-start though.

    Sorry if you're not happy about that, but thems the facts...
    Bill, Sep 21, 2006
  20. W Chan

    Bill Guest

    "cjcampbell" <> wrote in message

    > Bill wrote:
    >> His so-called "review" is full of misinformation and bias.

    > Really? Show us one single mistake in his comparison.

    Start at the top:

    "D80 has the D200's 10 MP image sensor".

    ACK....wrong.

    "look, quality and color of the D200's images"

    ACK...wrong.

    Jump down to the first comparison list where he has side-by-side data
    and you find more errors. Let's start at the third item in the list:

    Weight 20 oz. (575g) [D80]

    ACK...wrong.

    Weight 29 oz. (825g) [D200]

    ACK...wrong.

    The rest you can find on your own...I don't time to find and
    copy&paste everything that Rockwell posts incorrectly - I'd be sitting
    here all week.

    :-/
    Bill, Sep 21, 2006