    under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Olivier

    otrinh, Oct 15, 2006

  2. otrinh

    Dimitris M Guest

    I have the D70 + SB800. I have not this problem. But I had it with SB600.

    Just in case, ensure that you have not reduce the flash power from the flash
    itself OR from the camera. This second case has fool some people. In case
    you don't know, the flash power can be reduced from the flash, but also from
    the camera by holding the flash button and turning the front wheel. Each one
    is inependent of the other, so the effect is added. For ex -1/3 EV from the
    flash plus -2/3 EV from the camera, total = -1 EV. In that ex flash
    display -1/3 and in the camera the indication -2/3 is visible ONLY when the
    flash button is depressed. So it is very easy to forget that ajustment.
    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Oct 15, 2006

  3. On 15 Oct 2006 09:33:35 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "otrinh"
    <> wrote:
    >I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
    >I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
    >under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

    At what f.l. and distance from the camera? If you're at the very short
    end, be sure to remember to pull the WA diffuser out and down over the
    flash lens, this will also put the flash into WA mode. I assume you've set
    iTTL mode on the camera and the flash?
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 15, 2006
  4. otrinh

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Dimitris M" <> wrote in message
    >I have the D70 + SB800. I have not this problem. But I had it with
    >SB600.
    >
    > Just in case, ensure that you have not reduce the flash power from the
    > flash itself OR from the camera. This second case has fool some
    > people. In case you don't know, the flash power can be reduced from
    > the flash, but also from the camera by holding the flash button and
    > turning the front wheel. Each one is inependent of the other, so the
    > effect is added. For ex -1/3 EV from the flash plus -2/3 EV from the
    > camera, total = -1 EV. In that ex flash display -1/3 and in the camera
    > the indication -2/3 is visible ONLY when the flash button is
    > depressed. So it is very easy to forget that ajustment.
    > --
    > Dimitris M
    >

    >> I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom.
    >> When
    >> I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
    >> under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?

    And to add to Dimitris' comment, the camera remembers it until
    you change it (not like some things where when you switch mode,
    it resets stuff). At least that is true for the D70s - I would suspect
    also true for the D200.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 15, 2006
  5. otrinh

    tomm42 Guest

    otrinh wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Nikon D200, a Flash SB800 and the new 18-200 Nikon zoom. When
    > I take photos with the SB800, all automatic modes, there is a huge
    > under exposure (-2/3 ev). Has anyone experienced this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Olivier

    Couple of things
    1) the flash may not cover the 18mm on the lens I doubt this but it may
    not
    2) How far are the subjects from the camera, if they are too far away
    they may just be beyond the strobe's reach, if you are shooting macro
    the flash doen't take lens extension into count. I have had this
    problem with an R1
    3) Big rooms swallow flash output, even a school classroom can be too
    big. I have found if the room is bigger than a large livingroom or has
    ceilings over 9 feet, open up one stop in general, two if the subject
    is near the end of the strobe's range.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 15, 2006
  6. otrinh

    otrinh Guest

    short distance, < 6-7 meters
    not WA diffuser
    yes iTTL
    The only thing I can think of is the focal length, I am in the range of
    100-200mm

    Olivier

    otrinh, Oct 19, 2006