    Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    Thanks for the help.
    MJL Photo, Nov 17, 2006

  2. MJL Photo wrote:
    > Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    > Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    The dpi is just a number attached to the photo. It's only relevant when
    printing. Just about any photo editor will be able to change it to
    whatever you like, but it still won't make any difference to your photo
    until you try to print it.

    I suspect you're confused. What are you actually trying to achieve?
    Derek Fountain, Nov 17, 2006

  3. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:09:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "MJL Photo"
    <> wrote:

    >Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    >Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    It sounds as if you are confusing the resolution of the images with printed
    output. if this is the case a good place to get a handle on this can be
    found at http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 17, 2006
  4. MJL Photo

    vancouver Guest

    Not confused.

    Of course this is all about printing.

    Trying to achieve - all files to automtically to be processed to 300dpi, not
    240 for print. I don't want to use a photo editor to change all images
    photographed.

    vancouver, Nov 17, 2006
  5. MJL Photo

    vancouver Guest

    Nope, I'm not confusing resolution with printed output.

    I just want to know how (if) I can change the 240 dpi of the processed file
    to 300. I'm assuming this is changable prior to conversion (like Canon).

    By the way, thanks for the link.

    vancouver, Nov 17, 2006
  6. vancouver wrote:
    > Not confused.
    >
    > Of course this is all about printing.
    >
    > Trying to achieve - all files to automtically to be processed to
    > 300dpi, not 240 for print. I don't want to use a photo editor to
    > change all images photographed.

    Most output devices and the associated software allows you to set the
    dpi or image size. Most ignore or allow override of the file dpi.

    > "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >> MJL Photo wrote:
    >>> Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always
    >>> 240dpi? Is this change in the camera, the converter software or
    >>> elsewhere.

    >> The dpi is just a number attached to the photo. It's only relevant
    >> when printing. Just about any photo editor will be able to change it
    >> to whatever you like, but it still won't make any difference to your
    >> photo until you try to print it.
    >>
    >> I suspect you're confused. What are you actually trying to achieve?

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 17, 2006
  7. MJL Photo

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:23:16 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "vancouver"
    <> wrote:

    >Nope, I'm not confusing resolution with printed output.
    >
    >I just want to know how (if) I can change the 240 dpi of the processed file
    >to 300. I'm assuming this is changable prior to conversion (like Canon).

    Changeable by what? There is no camera setting for this. This would be
    a function of whatever raw converter used (if done at this stage) or
    in whatever graphics editor you use after that if not done during the
    conversion.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Nov 17, 2006
  8. MJL Photo

    acl Guest

    vancouver wrote:
    > Not confused.
    >
    > Of course this is all about printing.
    >
    > Trying to achieve - all files to automtically to be processed to 300dpi, not
    > 240 for print. I don't want to use a photo editor to change all images
    > photographed.

    If you can't find any control in the converter (but there must be one),
    you can just create an action in photoshop and run it in batch mode on
    all converted files (to change the setting to 300dpi).

    But what are you doing with them? Doesn't the driver for the output
    device have a setting to ignore the dpi setting in the file?
    acl, Nov 17, 2006
  9. MJL Photo

    Richard H. Guest

    MJL Photo wrote:
    > Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    > Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    Where are you seeing this 240dpi value, and why is it significant?

    dpi is useful to know when cropping, but only to cause the editor to
    resize the image and output a specific number of pixels in each
    dimension. But in the end, it is the printing software/device that
    dictates how many pixels print in an inch.

    In the raw file, you'll find there are 2 values already set - X
    Resolution and Y Resolution. Nikon sets these to 300, and everyone
    ignores them (as you seem to be finding here).
    Richard H., Nov 17, 2006
  10. MJL Photo

    tomm42 Guest

    On Nov 17, 2:09 am, "MJL Photo" <> wrote:
    > Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    > Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    This is setable in every RAW converter I have used, ACR, Capture NX,
    Capture 1, and Raw Shooter Essentials. If you are setting up to print
    this is a simple quick change, so if your camera produces a 3000 x 2000
    file at 240 ppi (yes ppi not dpi) you have a 12.5 x 8.33 inch image. At
    300ppi it is 10 x 6.67 image. You can get the same effect by by setting
    a custom paper size and printing to size. Explore your RAW converter
    more you should have a PPI setting.

    Tom
    tomm42, Nov 17, 2006
  11. MJL Photo

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:18:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Richard H."
    <> wrote:

    >In the raw file, you'll find there are 2 values already set - X
    >Resolution and Y Resolution. Nikon sets these to 300, and everyone
    >ignores them (as you seem to be finding here).

    FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
    it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
    my D200.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Nov 17, 2006
  12. MJL Photo

    Jim Townsend Guest

    MJL Photo wrote:

    > Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    > Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    As Richard H asks..

    Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant and what would be the
    advantage of changing the 'resolution' to 300 DPI ?
    Jim Townsend, Nov 17, 2006
  13. MJL Photo

    RG Guest

    "Ed Ruf >" <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    > On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:18:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Richard H."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In the raw file, you'll find there are 2 values already set - X
    >>Resolution and Y Resolution. Nikon sets these to 300, and everyone
    >>ignores them (as you seem to be finding here).

    > FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
    > it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
    > my D200.
    > -

    My D70 sets the XY values to 300 in jpeg mode, but I'm not so sure of that
    in RAW mode. I'm having a difficult time finding the XY values in an
    unconverted NEF file. Opanda won't read the EXIF data, neither will
    IrfanView, and NikonView, which is the only program I have that will read
    EXIF data directly from a NEF file, doesn't report the XY values. However,
    if I convert a D70 NEF file to jpeg using ACR, the XY values of the
    resulting jpeg are indeed reported as 240. I have no real reason to care
    about the difference, other than curiosity. Can you explain how I might get
    XY values and other EXIF data directly from a NEF file before conversion
    (beyond what NikonView offers as shooting data), and why the converted NEF
    file jpeg's XY values are at 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at
    300?
    RG, Nov 17, 2006
  14. MJL Photo

    Richard H. Guest

    RG wrote:
    > Can you explain how I might get
    > XY values and other EXIF data directly from a NEF file before conversion
    > (beyond what NikonView offers as shooting data), and why the converted NEF
    > file jpeg's XY values are at 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at
    > 300?

    Exiftool, an excellent Perl-based tool. Very potent if you're willing /
    interested in editing Perl. They provide a command-line version for
    non-Perl folks. It can easily change the EXIF values, such as dpi.

    Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
    despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
    setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.
    Richard H., Nov 17, 2006
  15. Richard H. wrote:
    > RG wrote:
    >> Can you explain how I might get XY values and other EXIF data directly
    >> from a NEF file before conversion (beyond what NikonView offers as
    >> shooting data), and why the converted NEF file jpeg's XY values are at
    >> 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at 300?

    > Exiftool, an excellent Perl-based tool. Very potent if you're willing /
    > interested in editing Perl. They provide a command-line version for
    > non-Perl folks. It can easily change the EXIF values, such as dpi.
    >
    > Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
    > despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
    > setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.

    You are talking ppi, for starters. And are you sure it's PS selecting a
    ppi value, and not something set in the camera?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 17, 2006
  16. MJL Photo

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf <"Ed
    Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <>> wrote:

    >FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
    >it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
    >my D200.

    Forget about my ramblings above. Brain fart. It is the ACR 240
    defaults I was remembering, The D200 does set 300 dpi in the exif.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Nov 17, 2006
  17. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:29:51 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Richard H. wrote:
    >> Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
    >> despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
    >> setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.

    >And are you sure it's PS selecting a
    >ppi value, and not something set in the camera?

    Yes, it is not something the camera sets, it's a blasted Adobe default. At
    least in PSCS2 you have a chance to change this in the ACR screen. In PSE3,
    you have no option during raw conversion and must use the Image Resize menu
    to change this if you so desire after conversion.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 18, 2006
  18. MJL Photo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > MJL Photo wrote:
    >
    > Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    > Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    You should be able to set this in the RAW converter you use, but it's
    just a place-holder value until you go to print (which I see you
    understand) and some image editors will ignore it and use their own
    default value.

    What software do you have for RAW conversion and for image editing?
    Once people know this they can perhaps answer your Q in more detail.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 18, 2006
  19. MJL Photo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> MJL Photo wrote:

    >> Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
    >> Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

    ..
    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >
    > Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant

    Apparently he wants to print at 300 ppi and so feels the 240 ppi
    default is too low.

    > ... and what would be the
    > advantage of changing the 'resolution' to 300 DPI ?

    To get better prints ... he seems to understand the print part, he just
    doesn't want to have to use an editor on every photo to change 240 to
    300 if he can find away of setting the default to 300 to begin with.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 18, 2006
  20. >> Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant

    >Apparently he wants to print at 300 ppi and so feels the 240 ppi
    >default is too low.

    What software are people using that this matters?

    My experience has been that a given file gets printed to a given size,
    and that's the end of it. I can take a "240 ppi" file and print it at
    4x6, or at 20x30, either way without changing the ppi. (That is,
    without changing the file-internal representation of the ppi.
    Obviously, the prints represent different pps values.)

    It seems to me that keeping track of file size, print size, and ppi
    means keeping track of one value too many.

    -Joel

    Free custom Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 18, 2006