Nikon D200 Battery Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Dingwall, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. George Dingwall, Nov 18, 2005

  2. George Dingwall

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:07:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital George Dingwall
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK to use in the new Nikon
    >D200 camera.

    I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
    compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the
    D200.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Nov 18, 2005

  3. George Dingwall

    NikV Guest

    --
    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:07:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital George Dingwall
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK to use in the new Nikon
    >>D200 camera.

    > I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
    > compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the
    > D200.
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    >"Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK "

    "I believe the answer is no"

    " but you can use the old batts in the
    D200"

    ????

    I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
    batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras
    --
    (º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
    <.·°·. NIK .·°·.>
    NikV, Nov 18, 2005
  4. George Dingwall

    Pete D Guest

    >>"Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK "

    > "I believe the answer is no"
    >
    > " but you can use the old batts in the
    > D200"
    >

    > ????
    >
    > I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
    > batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

    Very naughty of Nikon really.
    Pete D, Nov 18, 2005
  5. George Dingwall

    Dimitris M Guest

    > > I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
    > > batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

    > Very naughty of Nikon really.

    You misjuge Nikon. The new battery is a real improvement. But the third
    contact in the camera will be damaged from the shape of the old battery, so
    they had to prevent this.
    --
    Dimitris M
    Dimitris M, Nov 18, 2005
  6. better design could have prevented that. but they don't seem to care
    anymore about loyal customers.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 18, 2005
  7. Pete D <> wrote:
    >> I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
    >> batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

    > Very naughty of Nikon really.

    Thanks to that battery recall on the batteries in the D70, I got a
    replacement 3e for free! Gotta love free upgrades.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 18, 2005
  8. George Dingwall

    Dimitris M Guest

    > > You misjuge Nikon. The new battery
    > > is a real improvement. But the third
    > > contact in the camera will be damaged
    > >from the shape of the old battery,
    > > so they had to prevent this.

    > better design could have prevented that. but they don't seem to care
    > anymore about loyal customers.

    I have different opinion. The contact should be as the other two in a slot
    in the battery body and not in the surface. Even if they have it exposed in
    the surface of the battery, the relative contact inside the body of the
    camera should be in different level from the other two, otherwise it would
    be damaged. In a compact design as the camera is, it is impossible to lose
    any space to do this. In addition, it is very logical that the camera's
    computer uses this third contact, not only for indication, but for other
    fundamental functions. For ex, if the battery is low, it could refuse to
    begin to start a format process with the danger to destroy the FAT of the
    card, or to begin a file transfer that may never finish etc.

    BTW, I am electronic engineer ;-)
    --
    Dimitris M
    Dimitris M, Nov 19, 2005
  9. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:26:05 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "NikV"
    <> wrote:

    >> I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
    >> compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the

    ^^^
    should have been can't

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 19, 2005
  10. George Dingwall

    JimmyG Guest

    I called Nikon on this one. Their response was:

    The EN-EL3 are NOT compatible with the D200. However the EN-EL3E's from the
    D2000 ARE compatible with the D70.
    JimmyG, Nov 19, 2005