Nikon D200 and Photoshop CS2 / Bridge

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Dingwall, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    I notice when using bridge to preview NEF RAW files, I only get a
    small thumbnail in the preview window.

    This makes it harder to decide which shots are worth opening for
    further processing.

    Has anyone else found the same thing.

    I also noticed when using one of the Jpeg settings on the D200, that
    the shutter speed is not included in the metadata when you look at the
    file info. It's recorded in the camera, but does not seem to get as
    far as the open file. In fact, it seems that you cant see any of the
    file info until after you open the file, but even then the shutter
    speed is missing from jpeg images.

    Anyone have any ideas, or am I missing something simple.

    Thanks for any help.

    Bye for now,

    George Dingwall

    Invergordon, Scotland

    http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html
    George Dingwall, Jan 21, 2006

  2. George Dingwall

    This old Bob Guest

    Dumb question: Is the D200 supported by ACR yet?

    This old Bob, Jan 21, 2006

  3. George Dingwall

    Gavin Shaw Guest

    The message <>
    from George Dingwall <> contains these words:

    > Hi there,

    > I notice when using bridge to preview NEF RAW files, I only get a
    > small thumbnail in the preview window.

    > This makes it harder to decide which shots are worth opening for
    > further processing.

    > Has anyone else found the same thing.

    > I also noticed when using one of the Jpeg settings on the D200, that
    > the shutter speed is not included in the metadata when you look at the
    > file info. It's recorded in the camera, but does not seem to get as
    > far as the open file. In fact, it seems that you cant see any of the
    > file info until after you open the file, but even then the shutter
    > speed is missing from jpeg images.

    > Anyone have any ideas, or am I missing something simple.

    > Thanks for any help.

    > Bye for now,

    > George Dingwall

    > Invergordon, Scotland

    > http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html

    George,

    Have you downloaded Camera Raw 3.3, which supports the D200, and removed
    'Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi' from the following folder:
    ....\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats

    That will give you the full size thumbnails and use the full Camera Raw
    Converter application rather than the basic NEF importer. It works really
    well. The chromatic aberration tool has much finer adjustment than the one
    incorporated into CS2, for example.

    Here's a snippit from the Camera Raw 3.3 readme:

    Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Creative Suite 2:
    Windows ® :
    1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.
    2. Open My Computer.
    3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
    4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.
    5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for
    example, a new folder on your
    desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into
    the same folder as
    Step 4.
    7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

    --
    Gavin
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/
    Gavin Shaw, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Hi there,

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:42:59 -0800, "This old Bob"
    <> wrote:

    >Dumb question: Is the D200 supported by ACR yet?

    The new version does. V3.3. There was a beta release available that
    did not.

    Hope this helps.

    George Dingwall, Jan 21, 2006
  5. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:46:54 GMT, Gavin Shaw <>
    wrote:

    Hi Gavin,

    Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't actually
    have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview the D200 NEF
    files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only get a very small
    thumbnail.

    Click on this link to see what I mean

    http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/images/Bridge.jpg

    Once I get the files into ACR I'm OK. The question I was asking is,
    should I be able to see full preview sized images from the D200 NEF
    files. I do with D200 jpegs and all files from my D70.

    Thanks for your help.

    George Dingwall, Jan 21, 2006
  6. George Dingwall

    Gavin Shaw Guest

    Hi George,

    Attached (by private email) to confirm you should be able to get the
    auto-resizing preview is a screenshot of Bridge with the same layout
    options per yours below.

    I haven't managed to find any Bridge option which only gives a thumbnail
    size preview.

    My best guess is that there's a missing/misplaced/over-ridden .8bi
    filter file, which is resulting in Bridge not using the best one.

    Under the plug-ins folder for Bridge, I don't have any NEF or ACR
    filter. Under the CS2\plug-ins\file formats\ folder I have the
    Camera Raw.8bi filter, and no NEF filter.

    That's me out of ideas.

    Best regards,

    Gavin

    Gavin Shaw, Jan 21, 2006
  7. George Dingwall

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:46:54 GMT, Gavin Shaw <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Hi Gavin,
    >
    >Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't actually
    >have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview the D200 NEF
    >files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only get a very small
    >thumbnail.
    >
    >Click on this link to see what I mean
    >
    >http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/images/Bridge.jpg
    >
    >Once I get the files into ACR I'm OK. The question I was asking is,
    >should I be able to see full preview sized images from the D200 NEF
    >files. I do with D200 jpegs and all files from my D70.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    [SNIP]

    George,

    Have you tried moving the thumbnail size slider (lower right, at the bottom of
    the Bridge GUI)? On your screen capture, it is set to about 1/3. Does moving
    it to the right not increase the thumbnail size?

    I can only speak for ACR 3.2/Bridge and Nikon 70, but I can fill the thumb
    window, however large I make it, with that slider.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Jan 21, 2006
  8. George Dingwall

    Guy Scharf Guest

    George Dingwall <> wrote:

    > Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't
    > actually have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview
    > the D200 NEF files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only
    > get a very small thumbnail.

    D200 images are showing fine for me in Bridge with ACR 3.3 installed.

    Maybe try rebuilding the cache now that you have the new ACR?

    Guy
    Guy Scharf, Jan 22, 2006
  9. Hi Gavin,

    I didn't get your attachment, I have a size restriction set on the
    email I use for news groups, but I imagine it shows a bridge window
    with a full size preview.

    As for the bit about .8bi files, I only have one copy of the ACR
    filter on my machine, and I have removed the NEF filter that comes
    with Nikon Capture.

    Thanks for trying to help.

    George Dingwall, Jan 22, 2006
  10. On 21 Jan 2006 22:51:26 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:46:54 GMT, Gavin Shaw <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi Gavin,
    >>
    >>Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't actually
    >>have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview the D200 NEF
    >>files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only get a very small
    >>thumbnail.
    >>
    >>Click on this link to see what I mean
    >>
    >>http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/images/Bridge.jpg
    >>
    >>Once I get the files into ACR I'm OK. The question I was asking is,
    >>should I be able to see full preview sized images from the D200 NEF
    >>files. I do with D200 jpegs and all files from my D70.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help.

    >[SNIP]
    >
    >George,
    >
    >Have you tried moving the thumbnail size slider (lower right, at the bottom of
    >the Bridge GUI)? On your screen capture, it is set to about 1/3. Does moving
    >it to the right not increase the thumbnail size?
    >
    >I can only speak for ACR 3.2/Bridge and Nikon 70, but I can fill the thumb
    >window, however large I make it, with that slider.
    >
    >Hunt

    Hi Hunt,

    Yes, I have moved the thumbnail slider. When I do the thumbnail and
    the preview image stay exactly the same size as they show in my screen
    shot.

    This problem only occurs with D200 NEF files. It does not apply to
    D200 jpegs or D70 NEFs or any other file I have on my system.

    Thanks for trying to help.

    George Dingwall, Jan 22, 2006
  11. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:44:28 -0600, Guy Scharf <>
    wrote:

    >George Dingwall <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't
    >> actually have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview
    >> the D200 NEF files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only
    >> get a very small thumbnail.

    >D200 images are showing fine for me in Bridge with ACR 3.3 installed.
    >
    >Maybe try rebuilding the cache now that you have the new ACR?
    >
    >Guy

    Hi Guy,

    I had already purged the old cache and re-built the cache for my
    pictures folders. It's still the same.

    I'm using Bridge Version 1.0.3.107 (99784)

    Is anyone else using this version and getting a full size preview?

    George Dingwall, Jan 22, 2006
  12. George Dingwall

    Dave Guest

    George,

    WHere is your Camera Raw.8BI file. I'm assuming you are using Windows and if
    so, it should be located here, C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats

    If your only copy is under the the program directory for Photoshop, Bridge will
    no see it. I had this problem when I re-installed it on my system after a hard
    drive replacement. I don't know why it installed incorrectly, but once i
    straightened it our it was fine.

    Hope this is it.

    Dave Nelson

    In article <>,
    says...

    Dave, Jan 22, 2006
  13. Hi Dave,

    My ACR file is in the right place, but it's the preview in Bridge that
    I'm having trouble with.

    I guess it's time for a re-install.

    Thanks.

    George Dingwall, Jan 22, 2006
  14. George Dingwall

    LuvLatins Guest

    Just getting into shooting in RAW was going to use Photoshop is this
    much better Gavin and if so, why do you like this better than the
    photshop solution ?

    Sorry if this is a dumb question just trying to learn.

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006
  15. George Dingwall

    dcisive Guest

    Frankly, both the Nikon Capture NX AND Bibble Pro do a better job. Just a
    thought. Easy downloads to try and see for yourself.

    dcisive, Nov 30, 2006
  16. George Dingwall

    LuvLatins Guest

    Mine worked but was on a JPG, will try RAW and post later. I know
    dumb but what is ARC 3.3 ?

    Thanks a new D200 User

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006